Boards.ie uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Click here to find out more x

25-10-2010, 00:49   #1
bestie

Tesco Mobile phones

Hello,

I was wondering (unfortunately no concrete info on Tesco mobile phone website) If the mobile phones they sell are sim-free as in not locked. Anyone purchased one already?

Looking to buy a nokia 1616 from them to use my o2 sim in.

http://shop.tescomobile.ie/phones/di...hone.aspx?p=83

thanks
Advertisement
25-10-2010, 10:20   #2
Captain Morgan

Afaik Tesco phones come locked to the Tesco network. You can get that model for €29.99 on o2 in the CPW. Link
25-10-2010, 12:01   #3
bestie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Captain Morgan View Post
Afaik Tesco phones come locked to the Tesco network. You can get that model for €29.99 on o2 in the CPW. Link
Yup saw that thanks, however it doesn't let me add it into my basket online for checkout. Here's hoping I can just walk into one of their shops and get it for the same price.
25-10-2010, 20:24   #4
Nyum Nyum

I got the Nokia 1616 for €19.99 from Tesco in Arklow and it was definitely sim free because I tried it with O2 and Meteor sims and they both worked fine.
25-10-2010, 20:50   #5
bestie

You legend! - thanks.
Advertisement
25-10-2010, 20:57   #6
wmpdd3

Tesco sell sim free and locked phones.

The sim free ones are in green packaging the tesco ones are in a box with blue on one side and white on the other side, make sure you ask for the right one. You won't get a refund if you open a tesco mobile one and realise your sim won't work in it.
25-10-2010, 21:18   #7
bestie

Quote:
Originally Posted by wmpdd3 View Post
Tesco sell sim free and locked phones.

The sim free ones are in green packaging the tesco ones are in a box with blue on one side and white on the other side, make sure you ask for the right one. You won't get a refund if you open a tesco mobile one and realise your sim won't work in it.
Thanks mate, people have been most helpful. I'll go to Rathfarnham branch and haggle them for 19.99 to match the Arklow store
26-10-2010, 11:29   #8
bestie

In case people were wondering and wanted one of these phones..

I only saw one type of packaging for the Nokia 1616 in Tesco and clearly it has a

"I'm locked to TescoMobile network" sticker on it.. however my O2 sim worked fine

so in fact the phone is not locked and any sim will work.

not bad for €19.99

cheers again for all the chaps/chapettes who helped!
26-10-2010, 11:34   #9
Leslie91

Quote:
Originally Posted by bestie View Post
In case people were wondering and wanted one of these phones..

I only saw one type of packaging for the Nokia 1616 in Tesco and clearly it has a

"I'm locked to TescoMobile network" sticker on it.. however my O2 sim worked fine

so in fact the phone is not locked and any sim will work.

not bad for €19.99

cheers again for all the chaps/chapettes who helped!
Tesco use the O2 network AFAIK, I would imagine were you to put a Voda or Meteor SIM in it, it would not work.
Advertisement
26-10-2010, 12:00   #10
bestie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leslie91 View Post
Tesco use the O2 network AFAIK, I would imagine were you to put a Voda or Meteor SIM in it, it would not work.
Yeah I heard that before, they are a Mobile virtual operator etc.. and that putting your Tesco sim into your O2 phone would work but not the other way around, i'll test it if I get a vodafone sim or meteor one.
27-10-2010, 00:30   #11
jay93

Send a message via Yahoo to jay93
Tesco sims will not work in an o2 locked phone or an o2 sim wont work in a tesco branded phone ive tested it on 3 diff tesco phones and o2 DOES not work with them unless the phone is unlocked then they will work..
i got a nokia 2330 and a samsung c3050 from tesco and both are locked to tesco sims only and it clearly states it on the box be careful your sim may not work at all if its tesco branded !!
27-10-2010, 02:12   #12
bestie

Quote:
Originally Posted by jay93 View Post
Tesco sims will not work in an o2 locked phone or an o2 sim wont work in a tesco branded phone ive tested it on 3 diff tesco phones and o2 DOES not work with them unless the phone is unlocked then they will work..
i got a nokia 2330 and a samsung c3050 from tesco and both are locked to tesco sims only and it clearly states it on the box be careful your sim may not work at all if its tesco branded !!
I purchased one earlier on today, stuck my O2 sim in and it worked, even though the sticker on box says "I'm locked to Tesco Mobile network'. And before I went to purchase I emailed tech support at Tesco Mobile and they said it wouldn't work. Well they are wrong.

Phone was a Nokia 1616 which cost me 19.99 in the Nutgrove store in Rathfarnham.

you can ring me on my number if you don't believe me

Last edited by bestie; 27-10-2010 at 02:15.
27-10-2010, 13:55   #13
Captain Morgan

Quote:
Originally Posted by bestie View Post
I purchased one earlier on today, stuck my O2 sim in and it worked, even though the sticker on box says "I'm locked to Tesco Mobile network'. And before I went to purchase I emailed tech support at Tesco Mobile and they said it wouldn't work. Well they are wrong.

Phone was a Nokia 1616 which cost me 19.99 in the Nutgrove store in Rathfarnham.

you can ring me on my number if you don't believe me
Yours might have worked ok but you could have just been lucky. Another poster has insisted they do sell phones locked to their network and other SIM cards didn't work. I have gotten a good few SIM-free phones from different networks over the years and have also gotten locked phones.
Thanks from:
28-10-2010, 19:48   #14
Maental2000

I got the 1616 for my older brother a few days ago in the Tralee store, it cost €24.99 and said "I'm locked to the Tesco Mobile network" on it, however my 3 sim & an old Meteor 1 both work in it.
But stupid Tesco gave a 3g sim card with it, which means the sim only stays connected to the network for a few hours & then "Insert Sim" comes up on it.....this is not a 3g compatible phone - why are they supplying them with 3g sims instead of 2g ones?
28-10-2010, 20:18   #15
Captain Morgan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maental2000 View Post
I got the 1616 for my older brother a few days ago in the Tralee store, it cost €24.99 and said "I'm locked to the Tesco Mobile network" on it, however my 3 sim & an old Meteor 1 both work in it.
But stupid Tesco gave a 3g sim card with it, which means the sim only stays connected to the network for a few hours & then "Insert Sim" comes up on it.....this is not a 3g compatible phone - why are they supplying them with 3g sims instead of 2g ones?
Afaik they're not only 3G sims. They should work in 2G and 3G where available. I am surprised your Three USim works in it though. Generally them sims only work on 3G headsets.

Quick Reply
Bold
Italic
Underline

Insert Image
Wrap [QUOTE] tags around selected text

Decrease Size
Increase Size
Please sign up or log in to join the discussion