Boards.ie uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Click here to find out more x

17-10-2010, 12:58   #1
carchaeologist

Send a message via MSN to carchaeologist
N69/N22/N70 Tralee Bypass

Seeing as we have had the N21 Castleisland bypass thread i reckon its about time we had one on the Tralee bypass

I went out yesterday and took a few shots of the road now that its fenced off and the archaeological surveys have started.

This is where the roundabout will be on the N22 just outside Tralee,photo is taken outside the Ballygarry House Hotel on the opposite side of the road looking towards Tralee. Roundabout will be approx where the cars are on the road.

This was taken from across the road from the Ballygarry looking towards northernTralee,with archaeological clearing visible.

This shot is taken from where the roundabout will be on the N22,looking towards the N69.

This picture is from the old N22(Mile height) just beside the Ballygarry House Hotel,which is just to the left but out of shot. View is looking towards the N70.

This shot is taken in Ballynabreanagh,about two miles up the road up past the college,shot is looking towards the N69. I suppose there will be a flyover/bridge here over this road.

This pic is on the opposite side of the road to the above pic looking down towards the upper Ballybeggan road and over towards the N70. Ballybeggan road is visible at the base of the pole.

These shots were taken from upper Ballybeggan road looking up towards where the last pic was taken from.

This is where the road will meet the N69 just below Leith west cross in Lismore on the Tralee side. I guess there will be a roundabout here also.

I didnt have time to get pictures of where the road will cross Ballinorig or where it will meet the N70,but i will try to in the next few days.

Last edited by carchaeologist; 03-07-2013 at 23:41. Reason: The previous photo links failed, new ones inserted.
Advertisement
17-10-2010, 13:15   #2
DeepBlue

The NRA website says the project is currently at the Preliminary Design stage.
If there are works being carried out then does it mean progress has moved on from Preliminary Design?
17-10-2010, 13:30   #3
carchaeologist

Quote:
Originally Posted by DeepBlue View Post
The NRA website says the project is currently at the Preliminary Design stage.
If there are works being carried out then does it mean progress has moved on from Preliminary Design?
Not sure of that,i dont think they will be actually building the road anytime soon,but i figured it would be worth taking the above shots for the record.
18-10-2010, 08:11   #4
fresca

thanks for the photos!

it is unlikely that this project will proceed to construction anytime soon as there isn't a bob in the country to pay for it!!!
mind you, watch castleisland next friday, it will be interesting to see who turns up ... given that the smell of an election is in the air.

Quote:
Originally Posted by carchaeologist View Post
Not sure of that,i dont think they will be actually building the road anytime soon,but i figured it would be worth taking the above shots for the record.
18-10-2010, 08:19   #5
fresca

Links

Links to relevant pages on Kerry County Council website:

Tralee By-pass Project:-
http://www.kerrycoco.ie/en/allservic...2traleebypass/

Tralee Ring Roads project:-
http://www.kerrycoco.ie/en/allservic...groadsproject/

Here's the tender for construction of the project from eTenders:
http://www.etenders.gov.ie/search/sh...x?ID=APR148815

note: i don't understand why they have not removed the black-bridge of the R551 (tralee-ardfert-ballyheigue road) within the scope of this project. it seems to me to be a very grave ommission.
(4) thanks from:
Advertisement
18-10-2010, 12:00   #6
Tech3

Great thread already. Actually this project has a good chance of going to construction in the next year or two. Capital spending can't be cut to zero straight away after all the road projects come to an end next month.
Thanks from:
18-10-2010, 14:47   #7
Quackster

Mod: Kerry, ZTest
Following on from the initial expressions of interest at the pretender stage, Kerry Co Co have recently invited full tenders from a shortlist of five contractors. BAM are favorites to land this.
Thanks from:
18-10-2010, 15:55   #8
carchaeologist

Just looking at the maps on the co.co. website,its much bigger and more involved than i thought it would be. Would all this be built at once or just in sections? I didnt realise there would be a road linking down to the college above forge cross,and all the way down to the cross.
If it ever gets fully completed it will be some job.
18-10-2010, 16:06   #9
fresca

The ring roads project is scheduled for a phased implementation.
Phase 1 is what's being called the tralee bypass project.

Quote:
Originally Posted by carchaeologist View Post
Just looking at the maps on the co.co. website,its much bigger and more involved than i thought it would be. Would all this be built at once or just in sections? I didnt realise there would be a road linking down to the college above forge cross,and all the way down to the cross.
If it ever gets fully completed it will be some job.
Advertisement
18-10-2010, 16:16   #10
carchaeologist

Quote:
Originally Posted by fresca View Post
The ring roads project is scheduled for a phased implementation.
Phase 1 is what's being called the tralee bypass project.
Ah yes,i see,they will do the basic road first. I was looking at map four on the pdf files and its a lot of changeing around.
I wonder has all the land been compulsory purchased,or just the part they will do first.
26-10-2010, 11:40   #11
dmeehan

the land has already been CPO'd for the Tralee bypass part, not sure about the whole lot

And what stage is this at?? I heard this morning that the "crowd" who did the Castleisland bypass will be doing this too. Is this just a baseless rumour?
27-10-2010, 14:32   #12
Quackster

Mod: Kerry, ZTest
As per my previous post, this has gone to tender. BAM (the contractor for the Castleisland Bypass) are one of five groups to tender for this and by all accounts they are considered the favorites to land it.

Construction expected to begin early next year.
27-10-2010, 20:42   #13
carchaeologist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Quackster View Post
Construction expected to begin early next year.
Lets hope so!
29-10-2010, 12:27   #14
dmeehan

while I do welcome the construction of this bypass, and it is needed, from a purely selfish perspective this is going to make getting to work HELL for a few months.

But at least it will be worth it in the end!
06-11-2010, 16:17   #15
Tech3

Well Well Well. Jackie Healy Rae is not giving support for the budget unless he gets his wishlist first I do support getting the Tralee bypass built but putting your local parish pump before the national interest is not on

Quote:
Independent TD Jackie Healy Rae said today that there are a number of things he wants from the Government in order to secure his support for the Budget.

The Government will announce its spending plans for the next four years this afternoon ahead of next month's Budget for 2011.

The Kerry South TD has told Radio Kerry however that he wants a guarantee that a new hospital in Kenmare will go ahead, among other demands.

"There are several things that I expect them to do for me, and that’s including the Tralee Bypass," he said.

Read more: http://www.breakingnews.ie/ireland/h...#ixzz14WHMNGbM
link

Quick Reply
Bold
Italic
Underline

Insert Image
Wrap [QUOTE] tags around selected text

Decrease Size
Increase Size
Please sign up or log in to join the discussion