Boards.ie uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Click here to find out more x

11-10-2010, 20:49   #1
Pedro Monscooch

Netflix on Apple TV / iOS

Hey guys. Anyone know of a way to get Netflix to work in Ireland? My AppleTV came last Friday and I can't seem to find anyone this side of the states interested in Netflix. I can't be the only one, can I?
Advertisement
11-10-2010, 21:19   #2
jamesd

I use netflix on my iPad with strong VPN, have a look online at connecting an apple tv via a dd wrt router to strongvpn for running netflix
11-10-2010, 21:28   #3
jamesd

Have a look here
http://strongvpn.com/forum/viewtopic.php?id=634
11-10-2010, 21:40   #4
Pedro Monscooch

Thanks, man. Was just looking there. I'm too impatient to see if Netflix on my iPad would airplay to the appleTV next month.
11-10-2010, 21:43   #5
jamesd

Tried to stream a movie from iPad to apple tv last night and it failed as it was a movie that was rented from iTunes US, might need to try logging into the apple tv with US account and re try.
Have the ipad on 4.2 beta
Advertisement
11-10-2010, 23:38   #6
Phibsboro

Hi Pedro

Can you tell us your general impressions of Apple TV? Are any streaming services available here? I assume you can rent from iTunes? What kind of range is there available in the Irish store?
12-10-2010, 03:04   #7
Bellu

hmm, I also have some problem.
Can you output to your tv with this app? I've heard you can do that with the iPad version. Anyone actually tried this?
It is lame that you can't manage your dvd queu. I have a free app (Movieflick I think or something like that) that lets you manage both queues so I don't see how it can be that difficult. Not a deal breaker by any stretch though.
09-01-2012, 09:09   #8
Griffinx

Netflix just launched here for €6.99/month, does that mean it'll work now on the Apple tv without a VPN?

Gx
09-01-2012, 09:15   #9
vinnycoyne

Quote:
Originally Posted by Griffinx View Post
Netflix just launched here for €6.99/month, does that mean it'll work now on the Apple tv without a VPN?

Gx
Yes.
Advertisement
09-01-2012, 09:45   #10
etcetc

only uk content i presume

if you keep using the vpn can you access the american content?
09-01-2012, 10:54   #11
ZV Yoda

I managed to register for the 1 month free trial. I then tried to play a movie on my Mac. I started to load up, but then I got a message saying "Netflix unavailable". Tried the saming thing using the ATV, but when I clicked on the Netflix option, I got the same error. Nothing wrong with my internet connection - other devices are all working fine.

Also, How does the movie selection on Netflix compare with what's on iTunes? I'm curious as to why Apple (given their normal way of doing business) would allow customer to access Netflix via an ATV. If Netflix subscription is only €6.99/mth for unlimited movies... but iTunes charge €3.99 for renting just one movie, then surely Netflix is a better option & Apple will lose their movie rental business to Netflix. Am I missing something?

I use iTunes a lot to buy movies for the kids. They watch them over & over so it make more sense to buy them. We prob buy on average 2-3 Disney/Pixar type movies a month costing €13.99ea. If I can really just pay €6.99 for Netflix, then I might not need to buy any more kids movies since they can (in theory) watch whatever they want / whenever they want.
09-01-2012, 11:00   #12
Sad Professor
Information Retrieval

We've been discussing is over in Films. The selection is crap. No new releases, no big studio releases. This is supposed to change soon, but I'm not impressed that they decided to launch here with so much content missing.
Thanks from:
09-01-2012, 11:02   #13
jack presley

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sad Professor View Post
We've been discussing is over in Films. The selection is crap. No new releases, no big studio releases. This is supposed to change soon, but I'm not impressed that they decided to launch here with so much content missing.
Yeah. I know there's a month free but I'm gonna wait until they put some decent stuff on it before I sign up. Chitty chitty bang bang is one of the films listed on the scifi page for god's sake!
09-01-2012, 11:12   #14
jakdublin

Quote:
Originally Posted by jack presley View Post
Yeah. I know there's a month free but I'm gonna wait until they put some decent stuff on it before I sign up. Chitty chitty bang bang is one of the films listed on the scifi page for god's sake!

I'm adopting a wait and see approach. Saw Breaking Bad on the home page but couldn't find it when I was browsing.
09-01-2012, 11:13   #15
Sad Professor
Information Retrieval

Saving the month trial is a good idea. The only film content on there at the moment is from Lionsgate, Miramax and MGM. There's a lot of good films, but you wouldn't be long working though them.

Quick Reply
Bold
Italic
Underline

Insert Image
Wrap [QUOTE] tags around selected text

Decrease Size
Increase Size
Please sign up or log in to join the discussion