Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

How do i stop my dog barking at night

• 01-09-2010 9:30am
    Registered Users Posts: 220 ✭✭ste2006

Hi All,

As some of you may remember i got a rescue dog about 6 months ago called Tayto (Border Collie). He is doing great and we have great fun together.

We had another small old dog we were asked to take care of and him and Tayto used to have good fun together. He died last week from old age and Tayto really missed him.

We picked up a Terrier / Collie cross from a shelter last week to give Tayto (Original Dog) some dog company.

The two dogs get on great and run after each other, play tug of war etc etc.

Anyway my issue is the new small dog likes to bark at night. He will be very quiet but he could start barking at 2 AM and not stop for ages. He will only start barking if another dog starts first.

We have lots of dogs around if different houses, farms etc and if any of them decide to bark a few times in the night my fella will start up also.

He is keeping us up all night once he starts. We tell him to be quiet and he stops for 2 mins and starts again.

Has anyone any ideas on how to stop him barking. Tayto is very quiet and never barks unless there is something wrong.

Any advice would be appreciated, Thanks,
    Post edited by Hellrazer on

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 462 ✭✭LisaO

Where is he at night - inside/outside?

• Registered Users Posts: 220 ✭✭ste2006

She sleeps in a kennel outside at night,

Both Dogs have a Kennel each with bedding.

During the day she roams inside and outside wherever she wants to go.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,193 ✭✭✭Eircom_Sucks

leave her in the house

• Registered Users Posts: 213 ✭✭wetdogsmell

i know this is going to go down like a lead balloon but give the dog a slap when it cries and then ignore it, don't rub it or give it any afection, it will soon learn it does'nt get anything positive from crying, your company is what its looking for
    i have 11 dogs and none of them bark at nite, once a dog is feed exercised and has water and somewere warm to sleep theres no reason to cry

• Registered Users Posts: 8,000 ✭✭✭andreac

i know this is going to go down like a lead balloon but give the dog a slap when it cries and then ignore it, don't rub it or give it any afection, it will soon learn it does'nt get anything positive from crying, your company is what its looking for
    i have 11 dogs and none of them bark at nite, once a dog is feed exercised and has water and somewere warm to sleep theres no reason to cry

Absol do not do this!!!! :mad: This is cruel and unnecessary. You can train dogs withourt resorting to violence and hurting them.

I would bring the dog into the house at night. There are lots of distractions outside to cause a dog to bark.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,274 ✭✭✭cocker5

DEF DO NOT DO THIS!! Its totally unecessary and cruel... dog cry for many reasons not just for food or excercise, they have feelings etc... dogs can bark or be upset for many other reasons... lonleiness, frustartion, confusion, anixety etc.... they are animals with feelings not robots. if you slap your dog he will learn out of fear... its DEF NOT the way to train a dog... this is only a recent occurance, thus shows a direct link to the loss of his buddy

Your dog is missing his friend and is lonely, maybe he feels now he is alone that he has to be alert at night etc... may be he is scared to be alone??
    Yes they had seperate kennels but the were infact together etc...

Bring in inside, he will fell more at ease and the crying should stop :D

cocker5 wrote: »
    DEF DO NOT DO THIS!! Its totally unecessary and cruel... dog cry for many reasons not just for food or excercise, they have feelings etc... dogs can bark or be upset for many other reasons... lonleiness, frustartion, confusion, anixety etc.... they are animals with feelings not robots. if you slap your dog he will learn out of fear... its DEF NOT the way to train a dog... this is only a recent occurance, thus shows a direct link to the loss of his buddy

Your dog is missing his friend and is lonely, maybe he feels now he is alone that he has to be alert at night etc... may be he is scared to be alone??

No No, I may not have explained it great but you have it wrong,

The original Dog (Tayto) lost his friend. He is fine; Happy as ever.

Its the new dog i got who is barking. He gets on great with the new dog (Honey) and they play lots together.

Its when the new dog honey hears other dogs barking she barks back as if to reply to them.

Then the other dogs keep barking and she barks back and it keeps going on and on.

Tayto through all this time stays sleeping away and resting. He never ever barks unless there is something wrong.

Any ideas???

ste2006 wrote: »
    No No, I may not have explained it great but you have it wrong,

The original Dog (Tayto) lost his friend. He is fine; Happy as ever.

Its the new dog i got who is barking. He gets on great with the new dog (Honey) and they play lots together.

Its when the new dog honey hears other dogs barking she barks back as if to reply to them.

Then the other dogs keep barking and she barks back and it keeps going on and on.

Tayto through all this time stays sleeping away and resting. He never ever barks unless there is something wrong.

Any ideas???

Let them sleep inside. No distractions there. Could be a cat or anything causing him to bark.

i was expecting a responce like this, i'm not talking about kicking the fook out of the dog , i'm talking about a little slap to let it know that crying for no reason is not aloud, i don't think this is cruel, its called having manners

• Registered Users Posts: 2,524 ✭✭✭Zapperzy

i was expecting a responce like this, i'm not talking about kicking the fook out of the dog , i'm talking about a little slap to let it know that crying for no reason is not aloud, i don't think this is cruel, its called having manners

The only thing a slap teaches a dog is to fear your hand. Do it enough times and eventually the dog will just cower away when you raise your hand to it, keep at it and you'l eventually have a dog with aggressive tendencies towards rasied hands or sharp movements.

How long have you had the new dog? Maybe she just needs time to settle in to a new routine. Is she getting a long walk everyday? Try an extra 10/15 minute walk before bedtime to see if it tires her out enough to sleep the whole night.

ETA: Nevermind I just seen you only got her last week. It's a big change for a dog to change homes, she probably hasn't settled in yet. Try what I mentioned above, if that fails your only option is to bring them in at night and let them sleep in the kitchen or utility room.

• Advertisement

You dont have to put manners on a dog by slapping it.

Zapperzy wrote: »
    The only thing a slap teaches a dog is to fear your hand. Do it enough times and eventually the dog will just cower away when you raise your hand to it, keep at it and you'l eventually have a dog with aggressive tendencies towards rasied hands or sharp movements.
    QUOTE]
    i have to diagree with that, if done right the dog knows its place and is far more happy in the long run, if a dog does something its not ment to it gets punished, so it learns not to do it again, i've been doing this for 20 years and never had a problem, and to add the longest it ever took a dog to work this out was 3 nites, i think bringing inside is giving in to bad behavior and incouraging it to misbehave
    andreac wrote: »
    You dont have to put manners on a dog by slapping it.
    i did'nt say you did but i find it works realy well

Zapperzy wrote: »
    QUOTE]
    i have to diagree with that, if done right the dog knows its place and is far more happy in the long run, if a dog does something its not ment to it gets punished, so it learns not to do it again, i've been doing this for 20 years and never had a problem, and to add the longest it ever took a dog to work this out was 3 nites, i think bringing inside is giving in to bad behavior and incouraging it to misbehave

i did'nt say you did but i find it works realy well

Yes you did, you said by slapping a dog it puts manners on it. It doesnt, its violence towards the dog and absol no need for it.
    yes of course it only took 3 nights, coz you were slapping it and it stopped out of fear of being hit, not because it was trained to stop properly.

i dunno.. slapping a dog so it know its place??
    What sort of attitude it that??? :confused::confused::confused:

I hoped that way of teaching a dog was gone with the fairies...

A dog doesnt understand english and humans dont speak dog!!
    so it takes time for a dog to learn how to behave! its not fair to slap a dog so it will learn... totally ridiclious!

Thank god my dog doesnt live with some of the other posters...

my dog has excellent manners, never barks, and he sleeps in the kitchen.... it is possible to have a well mannered dog without slapping it or leaving it outside.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,128 ✭✭✭cynder

After 5 years of listening to 3 of our neighbours dogs (2 on 1 side and 1 on the other) we have started throwing buckets of water over them each time they bark. We have a few buckets lined up, and it seems to be working.

The neighbour with the 1 dog did put a anti-bark collar on it, but that never worked.

After 5 years of listening to 3 of our neighbours dogs (2 on 1 side and 1 on the other) we have started throwing buckets of water over them each time they bark. We have a few buckets lined up, and it seems to be working.

the neighbour with the one dog she did put a anti bark-collar on it but that never worked.

I do feel your pain... its horrible living beside people who's dogs bark... its very unfair...

Have you discussed with your neighbours???

Dogs bark for many reasons... excitment, boredom, if their in pain, anixety, thirtsy etc... i would say its more than likely boredom... its totally your enighbours fault...

• Registered Users Posts: 4,128 ✭✭✭cynder

I do feel your pain... its horrible living beside people who's dogs bark... its very unfair...

Have you discussed with your neighbours???

Dogs bark for many reasons... excitment, boredom, if their in pain, anixety, thirtsy etc... i would say its more than likely boredom... its totally your enighbours fault...

1 neighbour is very nice, she even got a anti-bark collar and kept the dog in but the other one - well thats a no go area......

The one with the 2 dogs they bark if you open the window , they bark if you open the back door, they bark if you go into the garden and keep barking.

1 neighbour is very nice, she even got a anti-bark collar and kept the dog in but the other one - well thats a no go area......

The one with the 2 dogs they bark if you open the window , they bark if you open the back door, they bark if you go into the garden and keep barking.

Jesus thats a nightmare.... thats terrible.. even as a dog owner i hate dog barking, when my guy was a pup he was a crier... a few quirts of water from an empty coke bottle (didnt point it at him but beside him) and it soon ended his whinging days...

He's brillant now... doesnt bark at all... or sorry except for when the post man comes around! Why do all dogs hate the poor post man!!

But i feel your pain, its very frustrating... :(:(:(:(

Yes you did, you said by slapping a dog it puts manners on it. It doesnt, its violence towards the dog and absol no need for it.
    yes of course it only took 3 nights, coz you were slapping it and it stopped out of fear of being hit, not because it was trained to stop properly.

i said slapping it when it barks will stop it barking, and yes it stoped because it learned nothing good comes from barking for no reason, so its trained properly in my opinion, if you want to do it a diferent way thats up to you, i don't realy care what way you do it or if you think i'm cruel as i don't know you or care about your opinion

i said slapping it when it barks will stop it barking, and yes it stoped because it learned nothing good comes from barking for no reason, so its trained properly in my opinion, if you want to do it a diferent way thats up to you, i don't realy care what way you do it or if you think i'm cruel as i don't know you or care about your opinion

Can i ask how do you know the dog wasnt barking as it was in pain?
    Or as it was frightened??

Do you still feel this is barking for no reason??

• Advertisement

What would people think about closing the door of the kennel at night and leaving her in the kennel with a bowl of water,

I rang the Kennel i got her from and this is one of their suggestions

Any thoughts???

Can i ask how do you know the dog wasnt barking as it was in pain?
    Or as it was frightened??

Do you still feel this is barking for no reason??

if it was in pain it would be making the same noise during the day
    frightened is no reason to bark

• Registered Users Posts: 14,772 ✭✭✭✭Whispered

I think it's a good idea, but don't rush into it. Maybe close her in for a few mins during the day, then when she's used to the door being shut behind her, close her in very last thing at night and get up bright and early to let her back out. Should only take a few days for her to be comfortable with that. You can increase the time as she gets used to it.

My fella is crated and now happily snoozes for 10 hours a night, even when his crate is open (lazy thing that he is!)

EDIT: Good idea to close her in I mean, not a good idea to smack her.

Whatever about different "training" methods, even the most old school owners who feel a tap on the nose is not a bad thing, must realise how harmful it could be to the dog when the OP only has her a week, especially considering she came from a shelter and her history may be unknown? I would be more concerned about building up trust with her than teaching her "her place"

ste2006 wrote: »
    What would people think about closing the door of the kennel at night and leaving her in the kennel with a bowl of water,

I rang the Kennel i got her from and this is one of their suggestions

Any thoughts???

Personally i think she will bark even worse... she more than likely wont liked being locked in her kennel.....

sorry i cant be of any help:(

if it was in pain it would be making the same noise during the day
    frightened is no reason to bark

ok on the pain front, your a prob right there...
    but its not very sympathic to say a dog cannot bark when frightened... its a reaction, not right to slap them for it

ok on the pain front, your a prob right there...
    but its not very sympathic to say a dog cannot bark when frightened... its a reaction, not right to slap them for it

i don't know why i'm bothering but i'll try clear this up, dogs do cry sometimes when there changed to a new kennel, i try double them up with another dog and will spend alot of time with them to settle them in during the day, but most dogs don't cry from fear its boredom, i'm talking about the type of barking i hear from my neighbours dogs, constant barking for no reason other than there not exercised enough or don't know any better

• Registered Users Posts: 14,772 ✭✭✭✭Whispered

i don't know why i'm bothering
    Because you care! You really really care :pac:

constant barking for no reason other than there not exercised enough
    Very good point actually. OP instead of hitting the dog, try giving it loads more exercise. I have a very boisterous, med sized dog myself and while he doesn't bark, he can get very "flighty" for want of a better word. Up and down from his bed, moving around etc. He's at his happiest when really exercised well. A tired dog, is a happy (and quiet) dog. Usually.

i don't know why i'm bothering but i'll try clear this up, dogs do cry sometimes when there changed to a new kennel, i try double them up with another dog and will spend alot of time with them to settle them in during the day, but most dogs don't cry from fear its boredom, i'm talking about the type of barking i hear from my neighbours dogs, constant barking for no reason other than there not exercised enough or don't know any better

This i do agree with, your are right... its the slapping thing i dont agree with thats all....

It does take time for a dog to learn, but ive never slapped my dog, now i dont treat him like a baby etc, but have never slapped him either.
    He is very well behaved etc... i just feel that there are ways to train a dog whether its barking or biting etc.... and for me slapping is not an option :cool:

This i do agree with, your are right... its the slapping thing i dont agree with thats all....

It does take time for a dog to learn, but ive never slapped my dog, now i dont treat him like a baby etc, but have never slapped him either.
    He is very well behaved etc... i just feel that there are ways to train a dog whether its barking or biting etc.... and for me slapping is not an option :cool:

thats fair enough mate, just out of curiosity how would you stop a dog biting???????

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 68 ✭✭sral1

So you have 11 dogs but you have to resort to slapping to keep control. Who is the true leader of your pack ???????? certainly not you.:rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes:

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement