Boards.ie uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Click here to find out more x

16-01-2011, 18:27   #151
Tesco Mobile: Paul
Verified representative

Quote:
Originally Posted by daithi2011 View Post
Thanks for that. Doesnt look fast at all. I'll try it out though.
You should get 3G download speeds up to 500kb/s depending on all the normal location factors for mobile data
Advertisement
16-01-2011, 19:07   #152
daithi2011

Quote:
Originally Posted by tescomobile View Post
You should get 3G download speeds up to 500kb/s depending on all the normal location factors for mobile data
Thanks for that.
Tesco should sell those modems.
Id say there is a big market for Tescos data offering with a modem.
Even at that speed, or possibly 1meg min, this would be a good buy for anyone who occasionally uses their laptop to connect. Its daylight robbery all the networks charging by the day. I might use it 5 days in a month and dont fancy paying for the whole month €20 or 5 days €3 x 5.

This would be ideal for me 1GB per month is plenty for light use for the month. 500Kb speed is a little bit slow though for that.
16-01-2011, 19:23   #153
Verified representative

Quote:
Thanks for that.
Tesco should sell those modems.
Id say there is a big market for Tescos data offering with a modem.
Even at that speed, or possibly 1meg min, this would be a good buy for anyone who occasionally uses their laptop to connect. Its daylight robbery all the networks charging by the day. I might use it 5 days in a month and dont fancy paying for the whole month €20 or 5 days €3 x 5.

This would be ideal for me 1GB per month is plenty for light use for the month. 500Kb speed is a little bit slow though for that.
Hi Daithi,

Thanks for the feedback. The current data service and technology provided is aimed at phone based browsing and data usage rather than a dongle based mobile broadband service. We are always reviewing our services and may introduce mobile broadband sometime in the future.

regards
Paul
16-01-2011, 19:30   #154
Verified representative

Quote:

OK got a loan of a tesco sim so cant go too mad on it yet til i get mine.

I went into mobile connect. Its still branded as 3, but is unlocked.
Then went into profiles.
If you click on connection to add a new connection then you can add the proxy in there.
Then add that connection to a new profile.
Set that new profile as active.
It then connects to the O2 network, but you get a warning about roaming (is this because its still branded as 3?)

Does this sound about right. I was able to browse ok, but I dont know if I was using credit on it. When I get a new sim i'll try again.

And I've only edge where I am at the moment or it might be that I have to buy the data add on to get 3G.
Because Tesco Mobile share O2 Ireland's mast network (called national roaming) many devices see this as roaming and assume its international roaming. This is why you get the warning messages. Unlocked Android phones act in a similar way. There are no extra charges, only normal data charging.

The data addon or any Tesco Mobile setting has no effect on speeds. Sounds like you are in Edge coverage from an O2 mast.

Can you send a text from the dongle software? If so you will be able to buy the 30 day bundle from there without having to put back in a phone (Text data to 174211).

Last edited by Tesco Mobile: Paul; 16-01-2011 at 19:42.
16-01-2011, 19:42   #155
snappieT

Send a message via ICQ to snappieT
Quote:

OK got a loan of a tesco sim so cant go too mad on it yet til i get mine.

I went into mobile connect. Its still branded as 3, but is unlocked.
Then went into profiles.
If you click on connection to add a new connection then you can add the proxy in there.
Then add that connection to a new profile.
Set that new profile as active.
It then connects to the O2 network, but you get a warning about roaming (is this because its still branded as 3?)

Does this sound about right. I was able to browse ok, but I dont know if I was using credit on it. When I get a new sim i'll try again.

And I've only edge where I am at the moment or it might be that I have to buy the data add on to get 3G.
Yep, that sounds like you're all set. I don't get the roaming warning, but that's possibly due to the '3' branded software you're using rather than anything else. That said, the generic software can't change proxy for you either.

Quote:
Originally Posted by lomb View Post
Hiya, can you tell me which browser you are using and how and where you enter the port and proxy settings. For me there are several connections in IE where one enters the info and none work. Also what is that screenshot of ipconfig tell you of PPP?
I was using Firefox, just set the IP and port in Tools > Options > Advanced > Network > Settings for all protocols. ipconfig was purely to show that address was in a private range.

Quote:
Can you send a text from the dongle software? If so you will be able to buy the 30 day bundle from there without having to put back in a phone (Text data to 174211).
Yes, you can configure that. I've also setup USSD codes so I can query my balance from within the program:

Someone has also asked me if you can SSH by setting the HTTP proxy in the SSH client. I wasn't able to do this. Hopefully once the proxy is removed by tescomobile, this will be possible.

Last edited by snappieT; 16-01-2011 at 20:11.
Thanks from:
Advertisement
19-01-2011, 11:17   #156
sinkit

Hi Tescomobile,

I am also having problems with an unlocked iphone when I try to access the internet i get the same message as user skelefty "Could not activate cellular data network".
I have entered the settings advised from tesco customer service and I have also attempted to follow Gurras advise and create a data proxy which i installed onto the iphone, unsure if this was successful. But as I still cannot access the internet seems I still have a problem.

Any update on these settings or any further advice.
Thanks.
19-01-2011, 11:55   #157
Verified representative

Quote:
Originally Posted by sinkit View Post
Hi Tescomobile,

I am also having problems with an unlocked iphone when I try to access the internet i get the same message as user skelefty "Could not activate cellular data network".
I have entered the settings advised from tesco customer service and I have also attempted to follow Gurras advise and create a data proxy which i installed onto the iphone, unsure if this was successful. But as I still cannot access the internet seems I still have a problem.

Any update on these settings or any further advice.
Thanks.
Hi Sinkit,

Have an unlocked iPhone on its way to me so I can test the iPhone setup in detail. Will post back here with my results over the next couple of days.

regards
Paul
19-01-2011, 20:08   #158
Gurra

Quote:
Originally Posted by sinkit View Post
...But as I still cannot access the internet seems I still have a problem.
Any update on these settings or any further advice...
Did you switch on Data Roaming (Settings - General - Network)?
/Gurra
21-01-2011, 16:54   #159
exterminator447

Tesco Mobile don't know what there doing, they have only about 12 agents answering the phones most times and are based in conduit office in eastpoint business park dublin 3. the supervisor never handles any complaints and the Acting Team Leader are both useless ****s doing nothing all day. I would never recommend Tesco Mobile to anybody. As for the Iphone there sim cards cannot take it for the iphone. I have tried and tested it numerous times before.

STAY AWAY FROM TESCO MOBILE

Last edited by Davy; 21-01-2011 at 17:21.
Advertisement
21-01-2011, 20:40   #160
Verified representative

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gurra View Post
To elaborate, for some bizzare reason, the iphone user interface only allows you to set up a MMS proxy, not a data proxy. To set up a data proxy, you need to use the Iphone Configuration Utility (for Windows). Create a new configuration profile and populate the fields under General (mandatory) and Advanced (data proxy settings). When you connect the Iphone via USB, the utility will pick it up and you can then send the profile you just created to the Iphone.
I am hoping this proxy requirement will be removed with the introduction of support for non http traffic in the new year.
Thanks to Gurra for his work here.

Lets add some more detail here on how to setup your iPhone to work with Tesco Mobile. This is the definitive guide as I have followed these steps from scratch with a clean unlocked iPhone 4 and have succesfully setup and tested internet and MMS in and out.

1. If you have an iPhone 4 get a Tesco Mobile Micro SIM. Call Customer Care on 1749 or 0894200000 and they can get one sent out to you. You will need to call them back when you get it to get your number transferred to the SIM.

2. Put the Tesco Mobile SIM in unlocked iPhone and perform normal setup via iTunes

3. Go to Settings->General->Network and Turn Data Roaming On

4. Also in Settings->General->Network go to Mobile Data Network
Put APN and MMS proxy details in as below

a) Enter the following details into Mobile Data at the top of the section.

APN: tescomobile.liffeytelecom.com
Username: leave empty
Password: leave empty

b) Enter following details into the MMS section.

APN: tescomobile.liffeytelecom.com
MMSC: http://10.1.11.68/servlets/mms
MMS Proxy: 10.1.11.19:8080
Max Message Size: 307200
MMS UA Prof URL : leave empty

5. Download the iPhone Configuration utility http://support.apple.com/kb/DL926 and install. Connect your phone to the data cable and fire up the application.

Looks like below

6. Click on Configuration Profiles and create a new profile and on the General icon name it Tesco Mobile Data and the Identifier tescomobile.liffeytelecom.com

7. Now click on the Advanced icon at the end of the list and enter the apn and proxy details as below

8. Nearly done. Just go to your device and see the profile you created on the right and click install as below. Your iPhone will ask you to confirm. Onec complete the proxy is now set on the iPhone

9. All done. Test MMS and Internet - should work fine. Some apps may have issues until we remove the proxy restrictions shortly.

Last edited by Tesco Mobile: Paul; 21-01-2011 at 21:25.
Thanks from:
22-01-2011, 18:18   #161
56lcd

Quote:
`
500kb/s is far too slow and the 50mb per day is a joke.
I am currently getting over 3000Kb/s both up and down using Meteor 3G.
You need 100mb daily allowance to be on the safe side with a smartphone especially if you are viewing HD videos.
your international call rates are great but you are way behind the possy regarding your 3G service
(3) thanks from:
22-01-2011, 18:23   #162
daithi2011

Quote:
Originally Posted by 56lcd View Post
`
You need 100mb daily allowance to be on the safe side with a smartphone especially if you are viewing HD videos.
your international call rates are great but you are way behind the possy regarding your 3G service
Im waiting for webtexts and faster 3G speeds. When that happens im moving the whole family, but not before.
22-01-2011, 19:55   #163
lomb

Quote:
`
Yeh, but you get nothing for nothing. Tescomobile is in fairness a fabulously priced offering for most users. The average smartphone user uses less than 500mb a month anyway. Majority of use is on wifi at home or work which is free anyway.
Thanks from:
25-01-2011, 11:11   #164
Verified representative

Quote:
`
Thanks for the feedback 56lcd.

We are focussing on data and making steady improvements in the area. If you are a volume user of data then our 30 day bundle will be hard to beat in prepay at €6.99 for 1GB for 30days.

Our speeds are 3G not HSDPA. Our current data service is focussed on handsets and not as a mobile broadband service where higher speeds would be a requirement.

We are always reviewing our service portfolio and may add a mobile broadband service in the future.
25-01-2011, 12:54   #165
yalelaw93

Need Help from TescoMobile: Paul

I bought an "unlocked" Samsung C3050 from Newegg.com. It shows in the security settings that it is unlocked but when there is no sim card in it, it will not make a phone call and shows an "insert SIM card" message. When I put in my T-mobile SIM card, it will only permit SOS calls. The phone shows that it was formerly used on the Tesco Ireland network. I live in the U.S. What can I do to unlock the phone from Tesco so I can actually make a call? All the other features on the phone work - just not the ability to use it as a phone! I would greatly appreciate any help you can offer.

Quick Reply
Bold
Italic
Underline

Insert Image
Wrap [QUOTE] tags around selected text

Decrease Size
Increase Size
Please sign up or log in to join the discussion