Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on [email protected] for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact [email protected]

Wet & Blustery (Second Half Of Next Week)

• 21-08-2010 6:51pm
    Registered Users Posts: 11,134 ✭✭✭✭

Thought this deserved it's own thread because discussing it in the Hurricanes thread is giving it way too much credit :p and there really isn't much else to talk about at the moment.

There is fairly good model consensus at the moment for a low pressure system to pass close to or over Ireland around Thursday 26th.

It could bring some heavy rain for most areas, (perhaps very heavy at times in some places) and winds could be quite blustery at times around the coast.

12Z ECM :

ejygy9.gif

12Z GFS :

6gg1tt.png

12Z GEM :

33w2ln8.png

UKMO FAX :

dpv1b6.gif

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,150 ✭✭✭Deep Easterly

Latest ECM as Maq points out looks interesting. If it verifies anything like it is showing then maybe a potant triple point moving close to Ireland?

My rough estimation of where the frontal zone lies late next week on the ECM:

125022.jpg

Such a set up could bring with it a small embedded thunder risk but here I am, ramping it up and getting carried away again! *slaps myself in the face, twice*

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,978 ✭✭✭✭mike65

Wet and Busty? That'll do

• Registered Users Posts: 11,134 ✭✭✭✭maquiladora

23uc6yw.png

1043jeu.png

Latest yr.no rainfall prediction has 63mm of rain falling in my Co. Galway town on Thursday:

http://www.yr.no/place/Ireland/Galway/Tuam/long.html

seems a fairly similar story across the country.

Only a computer output based on the ECMWF run so 100% unlikely but it does seem that the models think this potential has a bit a punch at this early stage.

Latest yr.no rainfall prediction has 63mm of rain falling in my Co. Galway town on Thursday:

Crazy. I'm sure that will change before Thursday. What did you get on the day of the big rain last Nov? About 50mm?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 48,124 ✭✭✭✭km79

stop that is scary:eek:

Crazy. I'm sure that will change before Thursday. What did you get on the day of the big rain last Nov? About 50mm?

Wettest midnight to midnight total here Maq last November just over 30mm, which was nothing special. The rain here in November was more of a persistant feature rather than anything consistantly heavy, although Galway city had over 60mm in a 24hr period at one stage. :)

Edit, the rain here last november taken while bringing the mutt for a walk:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ixhu_2KPV0Y&feature=related

if this thing comes off will cause havoc

km79 wrote: »
    if this thing comes off will cause havoc

I wouldn't worry about it, the rain almost certainly won't be that bad. Chances are it will probably just be a miserable day! Should have a better idea of how it will be by Monday.

• Registered Users Posts: 101 ✭✭fishmahboi

I wouldn't worry about it, the rain almost certainly won't be that bad. Chances are it will probably just be a miserable day! Should have a better idea of how it will be by Monday.

I agree or this system could end up being like the other 2 systems that occured on monday and thursday that were supposed to bring heavy rainfall (well there was some heavy rainfall in the west on thursday night, but monday was a mostly drizzly night)

• Advertisement

fishmahboi wrote: »
    I agree or this system could end up being like the other 2 systems that occured on monday and thursday that were supposed to bring heavy rainfall (well there was some heavy rainfall in the west on thursday night, but monday was a mostly drizzly night)

Yep, it is all just spectulation at the moment, it couldn't possibly be anything else at this stage. I think as a feature though it could be interesting to monitor how (and if) it develops, and how it will or will not effect Ireland.

Looking a bit windier on the 0Z GFS as it crosses Ireland :

jzist3.gif

0Z ECM :

fnbklt.png

most websites have now rowed back on original predictions for galway area now saying 20 - 30 mm for 24 hr period weds night to thurs night

Gusts up to around 70 kph inland on that run :

30xk7l5.gif

• Registered Users Posts: 1,615 ✭✭✭GSF

Gusts up to around 70 kph inland on that run :

30xk7l5.gif

Enough to cause disruptions to flights from Dublin airport on Friday?

GSF wrote: »
    Enough to cause disruptions to flights from Dublin airport on Friday?

No, I wouldn't think there would be any disruption like that from this.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,978 ✭✭✭✭mike65

The RTE forcast this morning made no mention of this excitment.

mike65 wrote: »
    The RTE forcast this morning made no mention of this excitment.

It's not likely to be very exciting. There's just not much else interesting happening weatherwise at the moment...

1zoavt0.png

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,279 ✭✭✭Su Campu

This will be the scene around our coasts!

UKMO Fax, low approaching from the southwest :

o0oytf.gif

0Z GFS as the low crosses Ireland. Windy around the coasts :

2uep6cx.gif

Heavy rain :

2i0t47o.png

• Registered Users Posts: 6,827 ✭✭✭pauldry

Holy Cow http://www.wetterzentrale.de/pics/Rtavn721.html

only after looking.

WIll prob be High Pressure over Ireland that day once the excitement dies down. :D

Met Eireann outlook :
    Wednesday should start dry and bright with some hazy sunshine, but very wet and windy weather is set to develop over Munster in the morning. This will extend countrywide in the afternoon and early evening. Highs 14 to 18 C. That heavy and possibly thundery rain will persist overnight and also into Thursday. Some large falls of rain are possible with a risk of some local spot flooding. Winds will be strong and blustery and mainly southwest to west in direction

• Registered Users Posts: 6,827 ✭✭✭pauldry

At present the Low runs to the Southeast of Ireland on Wednesday night and into Thursday according to the BBC

Still wherever it hits will get a good deal of rain

pauldry wrote: »
    At present the Low runs to the Southeast of Ireland on Wednesday night and into Thursday according to the BBC

Still wherever it hits will get a good deal of rain

The UKMO has the low moving further south than the GFS, ECM is showing something similar now too. The heaviest rain could miss us if that pans out.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,634 ✭✭✭✭Graces7

:D We relocated and left Donegal well ahead of that.;)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,615 ✭✭✭GSF

The ground must be getting close to saturation point now in some areas. Are there any stats available on that?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,279 ✭✭✭Su Campu

GSF wrote: »
    The ground must be getting close to saturation point now in some areas. Are there any stats available on that?

http://www.met.ie/agmet/default.asp

Advertisement