Boards.ie uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Click here to find out more x

22-07-2010, 21:53   #1
slingerz

Goal Keeper Assistance Needed

Alright lad our keeper is out injured (long term) and as we've no other keeper i've gotten the nod to go between the sticks.

now i'm fine at the catching, shot stopping piece but my kick outs are only being fielded around the 45 metre line.

I'd like to improve the distance of my kick outs. Anyone have any suggestions on where I can find training materials other than just endless practice at the kickouts??

Any other keepers with advice on here would be much apprecriated!!
Advertisement
22-07-2010, 22:42   #2
yerayeah

Maybe try go to the gym and do some squats and leg extensions and curls, or even if you just started doing 100 airsquats or whatever you'd call them every morning, aside from days coming up to games obviously, should give you a bit of extra strength in the legs. You could also try copying some intercounty keepers technique and just practice lots!!

I'm not a keeper though, just my 2 cents!
22-07-2010, 22:45   #3
Mental_Legend

Try increasing the strength in your legs in the gym, but if that's too expensive and/or time-consuming then you could always work out a tactic with your midfielders to accomodate your shorter kick-outs. Also, ask the injured keeper how he was able to get his kick-outs as far as he does.
22-07-2010, 22:56   #4
rebel girl 15
El President!

Some great training drills for goalkeepers on the Armagh GAA website here. They are also on youtube

What sort of tee are you using?? I'm no expert on kicking from the ground cos we can kick out from the hand, but when I was working with a younger keeper, I found that he had a habit of getting over the ball when kicking. He was only getting it out around 20/30 yards (under 14 keeper). Anyway, we worked on it and he got better, kept onto him to lean back when kicking the ball

Make a kicking routine, step back a certain number of steps and make sure that you are leaning back to get height on the kick. Kick through the ball - some of those puntees are too high and can hurt your foot. Some guys prefer using a couple of space markers as their tee. Examine your run up - the fella I worked with used do a few dance step during his run up, which is okay for guys that are used to being in goals and have worked on strengthening their legs, but for someone coming into goals, I'd advise to have a straight run up to kick the ball. It is a lot about practise - I know from kicking the ball out myself that it does involve practise and getting a good routine going.

If you go over to the fitness forum, they might be able to give you some advice about doing leg strengthening exercises. At the moment, with your kickouts only going that far, you need to work on a tactic with your midfielders, such as the two of the them starting in the middle and running out to the wing to collect the ball, while keping your half backs quite near the goal, so as not to crowd the space

Last edited by rebel girl 15; 22-07-2010 at 22:59.
Thanks from:
22-07-2010, 23:48   #5
slingerz

Quote:
Originally Posted by rebel girl 15 View Post
Some great training drills for goalkeepers on the Armagh GAA website here. They are also on youtube

What sort of tee are you using?? I'm no expert on kicking from the ground cos we can kick out from the hand, but when I was working with a younger keeper, I found that he had a habit of getting over the ball when kicking. He was only getting it out around 20/30 yards (under 14 keeper). Anyway, we worked on it and he got better, kept onto him to lean back when kicking the ball

Make a kicking routine, step back a certain number of steps and make sure that you are leaning back to get height on the kick. Kick through the ball - some of those puntees are too high and can hurt your foot. Some guys prefer using a couple of space markers as their tee. Examine your run up - the fella I worked with used do a few dance step during his run up, which is okay for guys that are used to being in goals and have worked on strengthening their legs, but for someone coming into goals, I'd advise to have a straight run up to kick the ball. It is a lot about practise - I know from kicking the ball out myself that it does involve practise and getting a good routine going.

If you go over to the fitness forum, they might be able to give you some advice about doing leg strengthening exercises. At the moment, with your kickouts only going that far, you need to work on a tactic with your midfielders, such as the two of the them starting in the middle and running out to the wing to collect the ball, while keping your half backs quite near the goal, so as not to crowd the space
Thanks for that link there are some really good training drills and tips on there.

I dont think having leg power is the problem as i'd usually squat over 100kg so i do think its more about the technique involved.

More practice on the technique side of things should see me get the distance i need. Only problem is championship is coming up in 2 weeks!!
Advertisement
22-07-2010, 23:55   #6
Magi11
Closed Account

My goalkeeping days finished before tees but I always put the ball with valve facing up and slightly away from me. This also meant that you were trying to kick just under the O'Neills logo. In my practice drills I'd always kick over frees from about 25 yards out until I was happy with my technique and then go to goals to start kicking out. I think another aspect is where you place your kicks. Far too much emphasis on distance and not enough on placement. I used to have a deal with my 2 midfielders and wing halves that when I was walking out with the ball, I would casually look at the crowd on one side; that meant the ball was going that side. The deal also was that even if I messed it up no one was to blame me in case the other crowd cottoned on that there was something to blame! It lasted for 3 years until one of our team transferred and word got around!!
23-07-2010, 00:11   #7
rebel girl 15
El President!

Quote:
Originally Posted by slingerz View Post
Thanks for that link there are some really good training drills and tips on there.

I dont think having leg power is the problem as i'd usually squat over 100kg so i do think its more about the technique involved.

More practice on the technique side of things should see me get the distance i need. Only problem is championship is coming up in 2 weeks!!
Maybe see if you can get the injured keeper down to watch your kick outs to see - sometimes only a small change can end up with a big difference. A straight run up to the ball, stay tall through the kick and follow through. Make sure your non kicking foot is well planted. Make the kick very simple - don't stop during the run up. He might see something that you are doing and can say it to you. With that keeper I mentioned before, a small change ended up with about a 10/15 yard difference.

You do need someone to look at the technique as it can be very hard to self analyse, especially if you are not used to doing it. Then when you get it right, you need to keep practising it, so that it becomes second nature. 2 weeks is plenty of time to get it sorted. Make sure you are comfortable with the tee you are using as well.

So when you get your technique sorted, the next thing I would do when practising is actually go out the field, put down the tee and try put the ball over the bar. I do it quite a lot because I practise on my own, then in training, I find my accuracy is better when in a game situation. It also gives you a slightly different challenge from just thumping the ball out the field and also I find you can measure the distance of your kick better as well.
23-07-2010, 00:11   #8
DH2K9

My main tip is when you watch inter-county keepers they follow through a mile. Get good speed to the ball and completely follow through.
23-07-2010, 00:20   #9
rebel girl 15
El President!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Magi11 View Post
My goalkeeping days finished before tees but I always put the ball with valve facing up and slightly away from me. This also meant that you were trying to kick just under the O'Neills logo. In my practice drills I'd always kick over frees from about 25 yards out until I was happy with my technique and then go to goals to start kicking out. I think another aspect is where you place your kicks. Far too much emphasis on distance and not enough on placement. I used to have a deal with my 2 midfielders and wing halves that when I was walking out with the ball, I would casually look at the crowd on one side; that meant the ball was going that side. The deal also was that even if I messed it up no one was to blame me in case the other crowd cottoned on that there was something to blame! It lasted for 3 years until one of our team transferred and word got around!!
I forgot that part! By kicking that part of the ball, you are kicking the roundest part of the ball! My deal at the moment with my midfielders and wing backs is that I dribble the ball out soccer style, when I pick it up, then they make their runs and 95% of the time I hit them perfectly

Another thing is not to kick it at 100 per cent force - most of the time the ball won't go where you want it to go!! If you keep working on it, kicking it at 90% accurately at the start, then working up!
Advertisement
23-07-2010, 10:07   #10
slingerz

i like the bit about the valve and the logo. also think the following through would be beneficial as well. is the speed that you approach the ball important too?

we've a lot of players that win the ball so distance is more of an issue than accuracy, if i could get it to be fielded around the 65 i'd be happy enough with it
23-07-2010, 11:26   #11
Magi11
Closed Account

Quote:
Originally Posted by rebel girl 15 View Post
I forgot that part! By kicking that part of the ball, you are kicking the roundest part of the ball! My deal at the moment with my midfielders and wing backs is that I dribble the ball out soccer style, when I pick it up, then they make their runs and 95% of the time I hit them perfectly

Another thing is not to kick it at 100 per cent force - most of the time the ball won't go where you want it to go!! If you keep working on it, kicking it at 90% accurately at the start, then working up!
Thats a great idea about the soccer dribble, wouldn't work in mens football because you have to kick off the ground but shows that you can always have something to give you the edge.
The bottom line about all restarts in any sport is that you have the ball and they can't take it off you so you should be trying to make sure your team retains possession. If that means sacrificing 10 yards from a kickout so be it.
Maybe have a deal with your best midfielder that he will get every kick out after a score.

Another good point about not kicking 100%, guaranteed failure if you do this. Relax, and trust your technique.
23-07-2010, 14:07   #12
thebuilderbob

I would disagree about the straight run up.. Most top keepers angle slightly from the side opposite their kicking foot.. But you should experiment yourself (tho i wouldn't advise any more than 25-30 kicks in any session cause you'll only do damage)

The 2 most important parts are concentration and the follow through..

When kicking you should follow right through (with out kicking at 100%, as said above 90% is alright, try to stroke it out) and at the end of your kicking motion your kicking leg should be past a 90 degree angle to your placed leg (which should be firmly set. Get your whole body behind the kick.

The second concentration: have a good look where you're gonna kick it but ensure you are firmly focused on the ball when kicking. Most fluffed kick out are because of losing concentration on the ball..

hope some of this helps ya

take your inspiration form darren hughes!!
23-07-2010, 14:16   #13
rebel girl 15
El President!

Quote:
Originally Posted by thebuilderbob View Post
I would disagree about the straight run up.. Most top keepers angle slightly from the side opposite their kicking foot.. But you should experiment yourself (tho i wouldn't advise any more than 25-30 kicks in any session cause you'll only do damage)

The 2 most important parts are concentration and the follow through..

When kicking you should follow right through (with out kicking at 100%, as said above 90% is alright, try to stroke it out) and at the end of your kicking motion your kicking leg should be past a 90 degree angle to your placed leg (which should be firmly set. Get your whole body behind the kick.

The second concentration: have a good look where you're gonna kick it but ensure you are firmly focused on the ball when kicking. Most fluffed kick out are because of losing concentration on the ball..
I don't mean a straight run up as in a straight line to the ball, I mean a run up without any of the small steps during the run up, sorry if people misunderstood what I meant! Relax when kicking the ball out as well, I found that it helps
23-07-2010, 17:53   #14
homerjay2005

ive done a bit of goal keeping in the past and also take kick outs for any soccer team i play for, as im always able to hit it a huge distance.

my tips -

always have the ball well placed, valve up.
give yourself plenty of elevation underneath to get your boot fully under it.
dont force the kick out, the more i force, the less distance i get.
dont take a huge run up, bout 5 or 6 steps back is enough, if you have a huge run up to the ball, your concentration is gone as soon as you start to run and your energy is diverted into the run up.
always hit with the laces and follow through, the laces part of your boot is where you get most power and follow from.

thats just my 2 cents.
23-07-2010, 18:29   #15
Magi11
Closed Account

Quote:
Originally Posted by slingerz View Post
i like the bit about the valve and the logo. also think the following through would be beneficial as well. is the speed that you approach the ball important too?

we've a lot of players that win the ball so distance is more of an issue than accuracy, if i could get it to be fielded around the 65 i'd be happy enough with it
Maybe I'm missing something but isn't fielding the ball on the 65 from a kickout on the 13 asking an awful lot? Is that not much short of county goalie standard?

Quick Reply
Bold
Italic
Underline

Insert Image
Wrap [QUOTE] tags around selected text

Decrease Size
Increase Size
Please sign up or log in to join the discussion