Boards.ie uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Click here to find out more x

27-06-2010, 06:27   #1
snaps

Send a message via MSN to snaps
Hooray, weve had rain!

Woke up this morning to the glourious sound of rain falling in mayo! Was trying to sort the garden out yesterday and i dont think ive ever known the ground so dry so deep. Even the front grass is yellow and dry, something i havent seen since my UK days!

By the looks of the sky now its going to be a half decent day, least no strong wind like yesterday!
(2) thanks from:
Advertisement
27-06-2010, 09:51   #2

Summer rain is only good for damping down the dust and turning grass green. As for replenishing stocks, its pretty useless.
Thanks from:
27-06-2010, 10:10   #3

Congrats Snaps!

Clouds over towards your area look pretty intense from here at the moment, and they seem to extend right down to the bay too in a sort of streamer. I can see another streamer developing too to my SE, although though the wet glare of the sun they don't look to be as intense as of yet.

Guess who is piggy in the middle once again though!
27-06-2010, 10:26   #4
snaps

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deep Easterly View Post
Congrats Snaps!

Clouds over towards your area look pretty intense from here at the moment, and they seem to extend right down to the bay too in a sort of streamer. I can see another streamer developing too to my SE, although though the wet glare of the sun they don't look to be as intense as of yet.

Guess who is piggy in the middle once again though!
There hasn't been much at all, nothing to get excited about really. The bird bath has nothing in it as the sun and wind now has dried it all up. Infact you wouldn't even have known it has rained!

My parents in Essex were saying it is in the 30's there!!!!
27-06-2010, 10:29   #5
owenc
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by snaps View Post
There hasn't been much at all, nothing to get excited about really. The bird bath has nothing in it as the sun and wind now has dried it all up. Infact you wouldn't even have known it has rained!

Yes 31/32 for london, lets see if they can get it... but are you serious why the hell would anyone want rain!!!
Advertisement
27-06-2010, 10:31   #6

Quote:

Same here. It made a couple of sharp bursts here last night, but has really dried up again big time. Quiet a stiff breeze now too (gusting up to 25mph) which will no doubt mop up any valuable moisture that did come from those insipid showers last night.
27-06-2010, 10:34   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by owenc View Post
Yes 31/32 for london, lets see if they can get it... but are you serious why the hell would anyone want rain!!!
Because all life forms depend on it!!! It is the source of life, without it you would not exist.

Plus it would make a change from this current non-descript monotony!
(2) thanks from:
27-06-2010, 11:28   #8
snaps

Quote:
I want rain because the west of Ireland has had barely any since 2nd week december.

Garden is dying, the river next to me is completely dried up (Ive never seen the river dry), Lake levels are very low, Main river (Robe) is barely trickeling.

Yes its nice to have dry weather, but unfortunatley we also need rain.
Thanks from:
27-06-2010, 11:54   #9
owenc
Banned

Quote:
I want rain because the west of Ireland has had barely any since 2nd week december.

Garden is dying, the river next to me is completely dried up (Ive never seen the river dry), Lake levels are very low, Main river (Robe) is barely trickeling.

Yes its nice to have dry weather, but unfortunatley we also need rain.
Well, i haven't seen much rain either, the fields are turning yellow and all that, but who cares its not like we are in a proper drought like in africa or somewhere, infact this isn't a drought at all its pathetic if theres still plants growing then its not a drought, plus a horrible storm just dropped eglinton from 20c to 15c and now i won't know if my readings are accurate or will we be the warmest station in ni again.
Advertisement
27-06-2010, 12:28   #10

grass is burning here too, going yellow/brown. Anyone else see the effects of their percolation system/septic tank. grass has gone yellow over tank area and run off channels. Aint too pretty.

Grass growth has really slowed in last fortnight too. Any rain we have had in past 48 hrs has been minimal. Just one brief heavy shower so far with odd bit of drizzle overnight.
(2) thanks from:
27-06-2010, 12:30   #11
Sponge Bob
Banned

The wesht is parched, we badly need a good soaking. I have seen nothing like this since 1976.
(2) thanks from:
27-06-2010, 12:32   #12

Rain rain go away and only come when we are sleeping

We had spot rain which was good garden is damped up but now hot sun back out and smiles have returned on face

Sorry for live stock etc.. hope you get some good rain but then i want sun back.
Thanks from:
27-06-2010, 12:46   #13
GSF

anyone get any photos of it?
27-06-2010, 12:55   #14
snaps

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sponge Bob View Post
The wesht is parched, we badly need a good soaking. I have seen nothing like this since 1976.
I was living in the UK at the time and can remember having no water as it was rationed in my area. I can't even remember being able to have a proper wash all summer!!!!
27-06-2010, 12:55   #15
snaps

Quote:
and now i won't know if my readings are accurate or will we be the warmest station in ni again.
Im sure your readings and observations are correct mate

Quick Reply
Bold
Italic
Underline

Insert Image
Wrap [QUOTE] tags around selected text

Decrease Size
Increase Size
Please sign up or log in to join the discussion