Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on [email protected] for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact [email protected]

Hooray, weve had rain!

• 27-06-2010 5:27am
    Registered Users Posts: 7,138 ✭✭✭snaps

Woke up this morning to the glourious sound of rain falling in mayo! Was trying to sort the garden out yesterday and i dont think ive ever known the ground so dry so deep. Even the front grass is yellow and dry, something i havent seen since my UK days!

By the looks of the sky now its going to be a half decent day, least no strong wind like yesterday!

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,978 ✭✭✭✭mike65

Summer rain is only good for damping down the dust and turning grass green. As for replenishing stocks, its pretty useless.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,150 ✭✭✭Deep Easterly

Congrats Snaps! :D

Clouds over towards your area look pretty intense from here at the moment, and they seem to extend right down to the bay too in a sort of streamer. I can see another streamer developing too to my SE, although though the wet glare of the sun they don't look to be as intense as of yet.

Guess who is piggy in the middle once again though! :mad::mad:

• Registered Users Posts: 7,138 ✭✭✭snaps

Congrats Snaps! :D

Clouds over towards your area look pretty intense from here at the moment, and they seem to extend right down to the bay too in a sort of streamer. I can see another streamer developing too to my SE, although though the wet glare of the sun they don't look to be as intense as of yet.

Guess who is piggy in the middle once again though! :mad::mad:

There hasn't been much at all, nothing to get excited about really. The bird bath has nothing in it as the sun and wind now has dried it all up. Infact you wouldn't even have known it has rained!

My parents in Essex were saying it is in the 30's there!!!!

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 5,524 ✭✭✭owenc

snaps wrote: »
    There hasn't been much at all, nothing to get excited about really. The bird bath has nothing in it as the sun and wind now has dried it all up. Infact you wouldn't even have known it has rained!

Yes 31/32 for london, lets see if they can get it... but are you serious why the hell would anyone want rain!!!

Same here. It made a couple of sharp bursts here last night, but has really dried up again big time. Quiet a stiff breeze now too (gusting up to 25mph) which will no doubt mop up any valuable moisture that did come from those insipid showers last night. :(

• Advertisement

owenc wrote: »
    Yes 31/32 for london, lets see if they can get it... but are you serious why the hell would anyone want rain!!!

Because all life forms depend on it!!! It is the source of life, without it you would not exist.

Plus it would make a change from this current non-descript monotony!

I want rain because the west of Ireland has had barely any since 2nd week december.

Garden is dying, the river next to me is completely dried up (Ive never seen the river dry), Lake levels are very low, Main river (Robe) is barely trickeling.

Yes its nice to have dry weather, but unfortunatley we also need rain.

I want rain because the west of Ireland has had barely any since 2nd week december.

Garden is dying, the river next to me is completely dried up (Ive never seen the river dry), Lake levels are very low, Main river (Robe) is barely trickeling.

Yes its nice to have dry weather, but unfortunatley we also need rain.

Well, i haven't seen much rain either, the fields are turning yellow and all that, but who cares its not like we are in a proper drought like in africa or somewhere, infact this isn't a drought at all its pathetic if theres still plants growing then its not a drought, plus a horrible storm just dropped eglinton from 20c to 15c and now i won't know if my readings are accurate or will we be the warmest station in ni again.:mad:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,667 ✭✭✭WolfeIRE

grass is burning here too, going yellow/brown. Anyone else see the effects of their percolation system/septic tank. grass has gone yellow over tank area and run off channels. Aint too pretty.

Grass growth has really slowed in last fortnight too. Any rain we have had in past 48 hrs has been minimal. Just one brief heavy shower so far with odd bit of drizzle overnight.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 25,234 ✭✭✭✭Sponge Bob

The wesht is parched, we badly need a good soaking. I have seen nothing like this since 1976.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 7,941 ✭✭✭caseyann

Rain rain go away and only come when we are sleeping :mad:

We had spot rain which was good garden is damped up but now hot sun back out and smiles have returned on face :D

Sorry for live stock etc.. hope you get some good rain but then i want sun back.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,615 ✭✭✭GSF

anyone get any photos of it? :D

Sponge Bob wrote: »
    The wesht is parched, we badly need a good soaking. I have seen nothing like this since 1976.

I was living in the UK at the time and can remember having no water as it was rationed in my area. I can't even remember being able to have a proper wash all summer!!!!

and now i won't know if my readings are accurate or will we be the warmest station in ni again.:mad:

Im sure your readings and observations are correct mate:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,550 ✭✭✭Min

I'm looking forward to the rain this week, it will be a great relief, hopes the country gets a good drenching.

This is Ireland, not Africa, not other places in the world that is use to drought. Ireland's system depends on regular rainfall, like it or not, we are not prepared for droughts as it is not normal conditions.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,045 ✭✭✭ttm

West Waterford really dry and you'd need some sensitive equipment to measure the tiny bit of rain we've had.

Never had so little grass gowth on the lawn. Most years you need to cut it every week just to keep on top of it, have just left it two weeks and its really not worth the effort of getting the mower out to cut off the daisy's.

Should be a good year for anyone doing arial archaeology.

Min wrote: »
    I'm looking forward to the rain this week, it will be a great relief, hopes the country gets a good drenching.

This is Ireland, not Africa, not other places in the world that is use to drought. Ireland's system depends on regular rainfall, like it or not, we are not prepared for droughts as it is not normal conditions.

Hear Hear!! (or is it Here Here???) :p

Excellent point. We don't live in Africa and it is just stupid to compare our drought to those regularly experienced in other parts of the world. Ireland is not used to this, and most certainly the west is not. It is dry spell is becoming phenomenal at this stage. May not be by Saharan standards, but it is by ours, and we shouldn't feel the need to apologise for that.

Bring on those motherf...king rains!!!! :D

Edit: latest ag maps showing this drought spreading wider still!

118179.gif

Min wrote: »

I couldn't care less if it dosen't rain, i'm sick of it i don't want anymore rain, its depressing! We don't need the rain here anyway according to that graph.

i don't want anymore rain, its depressing!

Why exactly is it depressing Owen? Is it depressing because it makes you feel bad, or is it because popular culture dictates that rain is bad and sun is good?

Why exactly is it depressing Owen? Is it depressing because it makes you feel bad, or is it because popular culture dictates that rain is bad and sun is good?

Because its all dark and dull, why else, why do you like it, plus i've already seen a week and half of cloud i don't want anymore

• Advertisement

Because its all dark and dull, why else, why do you like it.

Because it's dark and dull.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 542 ✭✭✭milly4ever

rained a bit here, and now bright and sunny again! :)

Because humans need sunlight to survive,other wise they get SAD :(

caseyann wrote: »
    Because humans need sunlight to survive,other wise they get SAD :(

Yes and when its bright and sunny you go can go places etc etc and its all lovely and bright, and its clouded over now and the temperature will probably start dropping:(:mad:

Yes and when its bright and sunny you go can go places etc etc and its all lovely and bright, and its clouded over now and the temperature will probably start dropping:(:mad:

Not here bright and sunny again,so sure on way to you :D

• Registered Users Posts: 9,572 ✭✭✭lord lucan

Got a sprinkle a couple of hours ago but it was just teasing us.:(

• Registered Users Posts: 4,939 ✭✭✭goat2

i bet the emergency health departments will be swilling tonight with people suffering sunstroke

• Closed Accounts Posts: 542 ✭✭✭milly4ever

lord lucan wrote: »
    Got a sprinkle a couple of hours ago but it was just teasing us.:(

same here- it felt nice and cool for a short while too, now it's really hot again! although it could be worse- could be in england!

Honestly you would swear we were in a dessert the way people are moping about no rain :eek:
    Then it will be everyone sitting in house giving out they cant go out and to cold :rolleyes:

I hope none of you take sun holidays how would you cope lmao

• Advertisement

goat2 wrote: »
    i bet the emergency health departments will be swilling tonight with people suffering sunstroke

Because they are thick :D

Advertisement