Boards.ie uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Click here to find out more x

23-06-2010, 11:10   #1

Winter 2010-2011 outlook

I could not find a thread dealing specifically with the coming winter.

Forgive me for mentioning the 'W' word in ther height of summer but i know many here are interested in the season, especially following on from the winter just gone.

A warmer Arctic climate is influencing the air pressure at the North Pole and shifting wind patterns on our planet. We can expect more cold and snowy winters in Europe, eastern Asia and eastern North America. "Cold and snowy winters will be the rule, rather than the exception," says Dr. James Overland of the NOAA/Pacific Marine Environmental Laboratory in the United States
STORY IN FULL

I know that others have made references to the coming winter but it would be great to share your thoughts on this thread.

By the way, this is an interesting site for comparing sea ice cover to previous years.
http://igloo.atmos.uiuc.edu/cgi-bin/...&sd=09&sy=2010
Advertisement
23-06-2010, 18:40   #2

Based on nothing more than a paraniod hunch, I think this coming winter will be dry, mild and dull with frequent ridging lodging to our south.
23-06-2010, 20:01   #3

Optimistic ( except for the last bit):

Its going to be a harsh cold winter, with a polar low over Ireland ( specifically south kilkenny) at the beginning of january, after two weeks of very cold temps. There will be a very heavy dumping of snow over most of the country except dublin and wicklow, and maybe coleraine, and the snow willlast for two weeks.

We will then have a rapid thaw, very heavy rain and massive floods the likes of not seen since November 2009.

Pessimistic view: Mild and wet.
Thanks from:
23-06-2010, 21:58   #4

Winter will start in october 2010 and end in april 2011.

Colder and more snow then any of us could ever think about !
(3) thanks from:
24-06-2010, 10:04   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kippure View Post
Winter will start in october 2010 and end in april 2011.

Colder and more snow then any of us could ever think about !
let's hope that councils are planning to acquire salt and grity supplies in advance this time.
Advertisement
24-06-2010, 12:51   #6
nacho libre

i fear the pattern we have seen for the last six months will change come September. i look forward to seeing the three month outlook by the Norweigian met service in September. One thing we can say for certain is that there is more chance of Tuam being named the culture capital of Ireland than this winter being as cold as last winter.

I will say mild and wet for much of January. We'll get a couple of days of an arctic blast in February.
I just hope Min will be able to cope with seeing scant amounts of snow next winter.
24-06-2010, 18:27   #7
Min

Quote:
Originally Posted by nacho libre View Post
i fear the pattern we have seen for the last six months will change come September. i look forward to seeing the three month outlook by the Norweigian met service in September. One thing we can say for certain is that there is more chance of Tuam being named the culture capital of Ireland than this winter being as cold as last winter.

I will say mild and wet for much of January. We'll get a couple of days of an arctic blast in February.
I just hope Min will be able to cope with seeing scant amounts of snow next winter.
haha, I seen enough last winter, plenty of rain next winter to replenish the ground's supply would be fine by me but mild and dry from March into April...then some showers, I hope Mother nature is into taking orders, we will see what she serves up.
25-06-2010, 10:01   #8
jambofc

snow
(2) thanks from:
25-06-2010, 14:07   #9
nacho libre

Quote:
Originally Posted by jambofc View Post
snow
yes let the countdown begin
Advertisement
25-06-2010, 17:36   #10

Quote:
Ok, starting today.

Just 10,000 days to go
25-06-2010, 17:41   #11

I think the chances of snow at sea level will be slim.....

Last edited by Su Campu; 25-06-2010 at 17:49.
(2) thanks from:
27-06-2010, 13:50   #12
owenc
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by thetonynator View Post
Optimistic ( except for the last bit):

Its going to be a harsh cold winter, with a polar low over Ireland ( specifically south kilkenny) at the beginning of january, after two weeks of very cold temps. There will be a very heavy dumping of snow over most of the country except dublin and wicklow, and maybe coleraine, and the snow willlast for two weeks.

We will then have a rapid thaw, very heavy rain and massive floods the likes of not seen since November 2009.

Pessimistic view: Mild and wet.
NOOO i want arctic winter again, i'll be raging if we have winter temperatures like 8c which is normal!!
(2) thanks from:
27-06-2010, 13:51   #13
owenc
Banned

Quote:
The days are getting shorter again hurray, getting closer.
27-06-2010, 13:52   #14
owenc
Banned

Quote:

Whats up with this place "tuam"? Its got a while weird name how do you say that? Too am?
27-06-2010, 20:13   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by owenc View Post
The days are getting shorter again hurray, getting closer.

Well generally the best weather of the summer is in late July or August, so there's a long way to go yet, thankfully. while I like the snow etc., I like as a distraction from the usual mild and wet winter weather, not something to look forward to in June.

Quote:
Originally Posted by owenc View Post
Whats up with this place "tuam"? Its got a while weird name how do you say that? Too am?

Chew-am. ( But as one syllable!!!)

Quick Reply
Bold
Italic
Underline

Insert Image
Wrap [QUOTE] tags around selected text

Decrease Size
Increase Size
Please sign up or log in to join the discussion