Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on [email protected] for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact [email protected]

Winter 2010-2011 outlook

• 23-06-2010 10:10am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 2,667 ✭✭✭WolfeIRE

I could not find a thread dealing specifically with the coming winter.

Forgive me for mentioning the 'W' word in ther height of summer but i know many here are interested in the season, especially following on from the winter just gone.

A warmer Arctic climate is influencing the air pressure at the North Pole and shifting wind patterns on our planet. We can expect more cold and snowy winters in Europe, eastern Asia and eastern North America. "Cold and snowy winters will be the rule, rather than the exception," says Dr. James Overland of the NOAA/Pacific Marine Environmental Laboratory in the United States
    STORY IN FULL

I know that others have made references to the coming winter but it would be great to share your thoughts on this thread.

By the way, this is an interesting site for comparing sea ice cover to previous years.
    http://igloo.atmos.uiuc.edu/cgi-bin/test/print.sh?fm=06&fd=09&fy=1990&sm=06&sd=09&sy=2010

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,150 ✭✭✭Deep Easterly

Based on nothing more than a paraniod hunch, I think this coming winter will be dry, mild and dull with frequent ridging lodging to our south.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,234 ✭✭✭thetonynator

Optimistic ( except for the last bit):

Its going to be a harsh cold winter, with a polar low over Ireland ( specifically south kilkenny) at the beginning of january, after two weeks of very cold temps. There will be a very heavy dumping of snow over most of the country except dublin and wicklow, and maybe coleraine, and the snow willlast for two weeks.

We will then have a rapid thaw, very heavy rain and massive floods the likes of not seen since November 2009.

Pessimistic view: Mild and wet.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,186 ✭✭✭Kippure

Winter will start in october 2010 and end in april 2011.

Colder and more snow then any of us could ever think about !

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,667 ✭✭✭WolfeIRE

Kippure wrote: »
    Winter will start in october 2010 and end in april 2011.

Colder and more snow then any of us could ever think about !

let's hope that councils are planning to acquire salt and grity supplies in advance this time.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,533 ✭✭✭✭nacho libre

i fear the pattern we have seen for the last six months will change come September. i look forward to seeing the three month outlook by the Norweigian met service in September. One thing we can say for certain is that there is more chance of Tuam being named the culture capital of Ireland than this winter being as cold as last winter.

I will say mild and wet for much of January. We'll get a couple of days of an arctic blast in February.
    I just hope Min will be able to cope with seeing scant amounts of snow next winter.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,550 ✭✭✭Min

i fear the pattern we have seen for the last six months will change come September. i look forward to seeing the three month outlook by the Norweigian met service in September. One thing we can say for certain is that there is more chance of Tuam being named the culture capital of Ireland than this winter being as cold as last winter.

I will say mild and wet for much of January. We'll get a couple of days of an arctic blast in February.
    I just hope Min will be able to cope with seeing scant amounts of snow next winter.

haha, I seen enough last winter, plenty of rain next winter to replenish the ground's supply would be fine by me but mild and dry from March into April...then some showers, I hope Mother nature is into taking orders, we will see what she serves up.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,523 ✭✭✭jambofc

snow :D

• Registered Users Posts: 16,533 ✭✭✭✭nacho libre

jambofc wrote: »
    snow :D

yes let the countdown begin:pac:

Ok, starting today.

Just 10,000 days to go

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,279 ✭✭✭Su Campu

I think the chances of snow at sea level will be slim..... :D

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 5,524 ✭✭✭owenc

Optimistic ( except for the last bit):

Its going to be a harsh cold winter, with a polar low over Ireland ( specifically south kilkenny) at the beginning of january, after two weeks of very cold temps. There will be a very heavy dumping of snow over most of the country except dublin and wicklow, and maybe coleraine, and the snow willlast for two weeks.

We will then have a rapid thaw, very heavy rain and massive floods the likes of not seen since November 2009.

Pessimistic view: Mild and wet.
    NOOO i want arctic winter again, i'll be raging if we have winter temperatures like 8c which is normal!!

The days are getting shorter again hurray, getting closer.

Whats up with this place "tuam"? Its got a while weird name how do you say that? Too am?

owenc wrote: »
    The days are getting shorter again hurray, getting closer.

Well generally the best weather of the summer is in late July or August, so there's a long way to go yet, thankfully. while I like the snow etc., I like as a distraction from the usual mild and wet winter weather, not something to look forward to in June.

Whats up with this place "tuam"? Its got a while weird name how do you say that? Too am?

Chew-am.;) ( But as one syllable!!!)

Chew-am.;) ( But as one syllable!!!)

Chooom! ;):pac:

Chooom! ;):pac:

Well he had too-am so i changed it to chew-am . .. but I suppose Choom would be more correct!!!

Bit of a dump anyway . . .;)

Well he had too-am so i changed it to chew-am . .. but I suppose Choom would be more correct!!!

Bit of a dump anyway . . .;)

I see Nacho's unrimmiting propaganda is beginning to have an effect! :D:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,258 ✭✭✭MUSEIST

snowwwwwwwwwwww

MUSEIST wrote: »
    snowwwwwwwwwwww

Sums up all our hopes really!!!

• Advertisement

Images attached from my home place in December/January. Just to get you in the mood for the coming winter! (yes i know it's only June :) )
    118389.jpg

WolfeIRE wrote: »
    Images attached from my home place in December/January. Just to get you in the mood for the coming winter! (yes i know it's only June :) )
    118389.jpg

When it snows in Clare, begod it snows!! :D:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 252 ✭✭danni2

Nice to be talking about winter this early it just puts me in the mood, still another while to go yet but I'm really looking forward to it:D

Here's hoping for a long freezing snowy winter:)

COLD DOWN UNDER

Sydney was blanketed in frost on Wednesday as the city shivered through the coldest June morning in nearly 30 years, with temperatures at just 4C (39F).

Thanks to an Antarctic front blown toward Australia by strong winds, Sydney awoke to its coldest June morning since 1983.

Frost covered the ground in city parks, as well as large swaths of inland New South Wales, pushing the temperature to -4C (24.8F) in the rural towns of Bourke and Walgett.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/worldnews/australiaandthepacific/australia/7863227/Australians-shiver-through-coldest-winter-morning-in-30-years.html

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,258 ✭✭✭MUSEIST

^^^^ cold down under????? You should get that checked out by a doctor :p

• Registered Users Posts: 17,186 ✭✭✭✭IvySlayer

It's the fastest town in Ireland.

Tuammmmmmmmm..

• Registered Users Posts: 2,671 ✭✭✭Rougies

IvySlayer wrote: »
    It's the fastest town in Ireland.

Tuammmmmmmmm..

118626.jpg

THE DROP BEGINS:

http://www.drroyspencer.com/wp-content/uploads/UAH_LT_1979_thru_June_10.gif

Get ready! We should have several months where global temps fall below normal

• Registered Users Posts: 15,286 ✭✭✭✭Supercell

Kippure wrote: »
    THE DROP BEGINS:

http://www.drroyspencer.com/wp-content/uploads/UAH_LT_1979_thru_June_10.gif

Get ready! We should have several months where global temps fall below normal
    I just see a chart where today's lows are yesteryears highs?

Have a weather station?, why not join the Ireland Weather Network - http://irelandweather.eu/

• Advertisement

Supercell wrote: »
    I just see a chart where today's lows are yesteryears highs?
    bastardi was on about this today. he didn't expand on his one liner though

http://www.accuweather.com/ukie/bastardi-europe-blog.asp?partner=accuweather

Advertisement