Boards.ie uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Click here to find out more x

13-06-2010, 22:44   #1
Enigma IE

Petrol v Diesel

Just wondering peoples thoughts, obviously the cheaper road tax for diesels on the new emissions scheme is a bonus for cheaper tax, but in general, how many miles per year warrant the purchase of a diesel car?

I'm currently doing around 12k per year on 2L petrol (road tax ~700).
Advertisement
13-06-2010, 22:55   #2
Mr Benevolent
Closed Account

Quote:
Originally Posted by Enigma IE View Post
Just wondering peoples thoughts, obviously the cheaper road tax for diesels on the new emissions scheme is a bonus for cheaper tax, but in general, how many miles per year warrant the purchase of a diesel car?

I'm currently doing around 12k per year on 2L petrol (road tax ~700).
12k miles or kilometers? Neither really justify a diesel as the purchase price is generally higher. What's your budget and what kind of car are you looking for?
13-06-2010, 22:58   #3
JHMEG
Banned

Pre-2008 as a general rule diesel would pay for the higher initial purchase cost after 100k miles.

Since the new CO2 based system came in in 2008 I don't think it's possible to generalise.
13-06-2010, 23:21   #4
Enigma IE

Quote:
Originally Posted by Confab View Post
12k miles or kilometers? Neither really justify a diesel as the purchase price is generally higher. What's your budget and what kind of car are you looking for?
12,000 miles. Budget around 15k, like the Accord 2.2 CDTI. The new 09 shape is fantastic looking, but a 08 on the new emissions scheme would be good.
13-06-2010, 23:38   #5
Matt Simis

I made this site to help answer this question from a pure fuel running cost perspective (ie not tax or initial cost etc):
http://fuel.netcessible.com/

Its not cleaned up and pretty yet but the calculator should be sound.
Choose either L/100km Euro (metric mileage and Euro Cents) or UK MPG (and put in the number values as if they were Euro cents ignoring the £ sign).
US MPG obviously not applicable here.
(2) thanks from:
Advertisement
14-06-2010, 00:01   #6
Bodhan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matt Simis View Post
I made this site to help answer this question from a pure fuel running cost perspective (ie not tax or initial cost etc):
http://fuel.netcessible.com/

Its not cleaned up and pretty yet but the calculator should be sound.
Choose either L/100km Euro (metric mileage and Euro Cents) or UK MPG (and put in the number values as if they were Euro cents ignoring the £ sign).
US MPG obviously not applicable here.
Great site, nice to see all the details. Is there a way you can work in the road tax as well? If you don't mind I'd like to link to that site for a future article?
14-06-2010, 00:06   #7
Matt Simis

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bodhan View Post
Great site, nice to see all the details. Is there a way you can work in the road tax as well? If you don't mind I'd like to link to that site for a future article?
I could add in further calculations for Road tax, but Im unsure on how to approch it.
It could make it look very complicated, consider 10 tax bands before 2008 and 7 afterwards, on both cars you want to compare, plus all the fuel calculations.
I guess I could add a column where the user inserts Tax (annual) but leave it default at 0 for all, therefore those that dont understand it wont be affected by rogue calculations.

You can indeed link to it, though I really need to get it looking right!

Last edited by Matt Simis; 14-06-2010 at 00:08.
14-06-2010, 01:28   #8
Mr Benevolent
Closed Account

Great site, give a clear understanding of the advantages and disadvantages. Very useful.
14-06-2010, 12:53   #9
vectra
"Quick Silver"

Send a message via Skype™ to vectra
God be with the days when we changed our cars simply because we had a desire to own something new(er)
Advertisement
14-06-2010, 13:07   #10
RoverJames
Banned

Modern life unfortunately.
14-06-2010, 13:13   #11
Eoin

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matt Simis View Post
I guess I could add a column where the user inserts Tax (annual) but leave it default at 0 for all, therefore those that dont understand it wont be affected by rogue calculations.
I'd go with that. Nice little app
Thanks from:

Quick Reply
Bold
Italic
Underline

Insert Image
Wrap [QUOTE] tags around selected text

Decrease Size
Increase Size
Please sign up or log in to join the discussion