Boards.ie uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Click here to find out more x

09-06-2010, 19:37   #1
icdg

Saorview Content Speculation

Feel free to speculate on what content will be on the free-to-air digital terrestrial television platform, which the powers that be have stupidly decided to name "Saorview" (thus leaving anyone that doesn't speak Irish confused as to what "Saor" means and leaving those that DO speak Irish annoyed that it wasn't called "Saorfeach". But that's neither hear nor there).

I'll start the ball rolling by predicting that there will be no additional TV channels other than RTÉ News Now, at least initially.
(2) thanks from:
Advertisement
09-06-2010, 19:53   #2
scath

Quote:
Originally Posted by icdg View Post
Feel free to speculate on what content will be on the free-to-air digital terrestrial television platform, which the powers that be have stupidly decided to name "Saorview" (thus leaving anyone that doesn't speak Irish confused as to what "Saor" means and leaving those that DO speak Irish annoyed that it wasn't called "Saorfeach". But that's neither hear nor there).

I'll start the ball rolling by predicting that there will be no additional TV channels other than RTÉ News Now, at least initially.
Very good..I'm the guily one at wikipedia...lol put my hands up..guns out lol

But I would say that Oireachtas TV will go ahead now. Children's channel probably will go ahead according to the SBP too freeing up RTÉ2. RTÉ3 a possibility. 5TV unlikely but should be considered by city channels, IFC/DCTV should be considered but may not be ready yet for that step financially.
09-06-2010, 19:56   #3
cc

I think it should least have an international news channel, CNN or BBC world maybe.
09-06-2010, 20:02   #4
Mr McBoatface

Right so I've just looked in my crystal ball and I reckon in October they'll start with
1. RTE 1 ( assuming it's possible to switch from SD to HD, then with odd HD program starting in 2011 )
2. RTE 2
3. TV3
4. TG4
5. OTV/RTE News Now - Shared Channel
6. RTE Kids/RTE 3 - Shared Channel

RTE Kids will be similar to Cbeebies and CBBC combined.
RTE3 will have reruns of some of the better late night RTE1 & 2 programs at a more reasonable hour.

When ASO is completed and the DTT service is launched in full I can see 3E & RTE Movies joining the line up and RTE1 will have all content broadcast/upscaled to HD.

I've no factually basis for making these comments, it will be interesting to look back and see how wrong I was
09-06-2010, 20:03   #5
Mayo Exile

Quote:
3e maybe?
Advertisement
09-06-2010, 20:18   #6
John mac

Quote:
Originally Posted by jobyrne30 View Post

When ASO is completed and the DTT service is launched in full I can see 3E & RTE Movies joining the line up and RTE1 will have all content broadcast/upscaled to HD.
and the year. May 2013
09-06-2010, 20:29   #7
Mr McBoatface

Quote:
Originally Posted by John mac View Post
and the year. May 2013
Well that's what my Crystal Ball predicts...
09-06-2010, 21:06   #8
Apogee

Quote:
Sure God help us and save us and the Saints above preserve us, but the poor downtrodden, ignorant, misfortunate people of Ireland will be left in pitiful bewilderment, with only the flames of the open hearth for entertainment, when every TV in the country spontaneously explodes come the 31st of October.
09-06-2010, 21:21   #9
scath

Quote:
Originally Posted by Apogee View Post
Sure God help us and save us and the Saints above preserve us, but the poor downtrodden, ignorant, misfortunate people of Ireland will be left in pitiful bewilderment, with only the flames of the open hearth for entertainment, when every TV in the country spontaneously explodes come the 31st of October.

lol..well at least we maintain our sense of humour anyhows...

Good crystal ball there jobryne30. I think they'll make Quarter 4 2012.

I think yere probably not far off on the 6 channels. Its possible that OTV and RTÉ News Now will timeshare. I mean they could have Oireachtas TV with RTÉ News Now ticker. But I think they'll have separate channels.
RTE Kids and RTE3 may timeshare.

I too would like to see news channels on Saorview. For that to happen RTÉ would need another mux. They could go for 2 muxes now and put News Channels on it and put off HD til 2014 and seek another mux for HD. However News channels could be part of the FTA element of Commercial DTT when that happens.
Advertisement
09-06-2010, 22:31   #10
watty

This is for 1st year at least

TV channels
  • RTE1
  • RTE2
  • TV3 (eventually)
  • TG4
  • Oireachtas TV / RTE News (not enough content for 2 full channels)
(there are two Oireachtas TV feeds already for years and 2.3GHz spectrum tied up in part of Dublin).
All RTE's Radio
  • RTÉ Radio 1
  • RTÉ 2fm
  • RTÉ lyric fm
  • RTÉ Raidió na Gaeltachta
Including spectrum wasting DAB Stations
  • RTÉ 2 XM
  • RTÉ Choice
  • RTÉ Junior / Chill
  • RTÉ Gold
  • RTÉ Pulse
  • RTÉ Radio 1 Extra

No HD once TV3 joins. HD needs another THREE Muxes if all 4 channels on HD as well as SD, or TWO addition Mux if no SD.
In theory with Saorview spec boxes people without HD can use HD feed, so no need for wasteful simulcast.

Last edited by watty; 09-06-2010 at 22:34.
Thanks from:
09-06-2010, 22:40   #11
byte

The DAB radio stations are hardly spectrum-wasting, if there's nothing else to use the available bandwidth! Also, DTT is considerably more national than DAB is.
09-06-2010, 22:45   #12
watty

I did put a RTE has to put something DAB and DTT Radio.
(2) thanks from:
09-06-2010, 22:54   #13
Charles Slane

Yes, spectrum-wastage is a matter of opinion. I'd much rather the digital radio stations than Oireachtas TV. Or Tg4 for that matter. But that's my personal taste.

HD apparently would be a waste of spectrum, since we're costantly being told that you need a massive TV to notice any real difference (although I haven't found that to be the case).

So bring on 3e for Family Guy, The Office and the occasional great movie (La Haine was on recently).
09-06-2010, 23:15   #14
watty

TV3 won't pay for 3e untill > 60% or more of people have DTT. After all they reach almost 80% with TV3e now on Sky + UPC.

Actually by that logic, they may not even want to put TV3 on DTT till ASO.
Thanks from:
10-06-2010, 02:48   #15
FREETV

Quote:
Originally Posted by watty View Post
TV3 won't pay for 3e untill > 60% or more of people have DTT. After all they reach almost 80% with TV3e now on Sky + UPC.

Actually by that logic, they may not even want to put TV3 on DTT till ASO.
I want and I know that my old Dad wants 3e along with TV3 to be shown from the beginning of the partial launch of Saorview on October 31. The picture is only brutal in Meath for TV3 in analogue and he does enjoy his Tonight with Vincent Browne, the odd documentary too. I know that he would love to see History Channel or National Geographic channels sometime on DTT but he may dream on as they are all premium pay per view channels. I don't want to see slapper channels or shopping channels ever on DTT. Such rubbish. They would be a complete waste of bandwidth. There are enough of them already on FTA satellite. Entertainment, film and sports channels are what the masses want. It should be made mandatory for all Irish tv stations to be FTA on Saorview from the very start. Maybe we should start a petition and send it to RTE, BAI, the Minister etc.

Last edited by FREETV; 10-06-2010 at 02:59.

Quick Reply
Bold
Italic
Underline

Insert Image
Wrap [QUOTE] tags around selected text

Decrease Size
Increase Size
Please sign up or log in to join the discussion