Boards.ie uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Click here to find out more x
Thread Closed  

09-06-2010, 16:52   #1
hacked

Nappy Rash Problems

Hi all, wondering if you can help me. Woke up this morning and my almost 3 month old daughter has a bad nappy rash....there are two big red welts on either side of her little bottom and parts. I don't know how this happened, and am wondering if it might be acidic poop from teething. Either way, is there anything I can do for it? I use Weleda Celendula nappy cream which is lovely and soft, but the little girl cries everytime i try and gently rub it in, so i feel like a lot of it just ends up on the nappy. I try and let her have a naked kick to let it air dry as well, but she ends up getting upset and crying and needing a cuddle.

Changing her nappy a few minutes ago almost made me cry. Any tips?
Advertisement
09-06-2010, 17:00   #2
cbyrd

if you can get your hands on 'morhulin cream' its brilliant. it cod liver oil based so it really sticks! i found it great when faith was teething it was so bad it bled it the acid in the urine that changes when teething.. poor baba hope she's ok soon.
(2) thanks from:
09-06-2010, 17:03   #3
hacked

Thanks hon! Oh right, I Was always told it was the poop that got acidic! Go figure.

Yeah, I feel like it's getting worse even though I am changing her frequently. She has little welts that I am afraid will start bleeding, but at the same time I don't want to rub the cream in if it's going to hurt her so much!

Thanks for the tip, I'll have to look into it
09-06-2010, 17:07   #4
cbyrd

kep a close eye on if it gets worse see the doc cos it can get infected ask the pharmacist when you're there whats the best one there might be a better one on the market since, its really good though i used it on my stitches after grace 7 years ago...brilliant stuff!!
Thanks from:
09-06-2010, 17:10   #5
hacked

Oh ouch...had no idea nappy rash could get infected! Just as well im heading down to the PHN tomorrow. Will have to get her to have a look at it for me.
Advertisement
09-06-2010, 17:33   #6
Bookkeeper09

My niece suffered terribly with nappy rash when teething and my sister swore by Caldescene powder. No need for any rubbing
(4) thanks from:
09-06-2010, 20:56   #7
r3nu4l
Administrator

Send a message via MSN to r3nu4l
Go with Bepanthen. It contains dexpanthenol (otherwise known as pro-vitamin B5) and lanolin and ceramides as well as other lipids. It works by optimising trans-epidermal water loss (waterloss through the skin barrier) by suporting the skin barrier, it does not contain any fragrances and is about as gentle as you can get on the skin.

I need to disclose here that I have worked with Bayer (the manufacturers) as a consultant on this product. It does work and is marketed in the UK and Ireland as a Nappy rash cream but is marketed in other countries in Europe as a wound-healing cream. Before it was ever available in Ireland many tattoo parlours imported it and recommended it's ue to customers who had tattoos as it's good at repairing damaged skin
(2) thanks from:
09-06-2010, 21:23   #8
bogtotty

My boy had one bout of nappy rash when he was 4 weeks, it lasted 3 weeks and never reoccurred (10 months now). I used most of the products mentioned here on him, found the Caldescene powder and plain old sudocreme worked the best - those combined with lots of no-nappy-time and no wipes, just cotton wool and water until the rash had cleared up. I now use the mildest wipes I can get and vaseline, with a rub of sudocreme if there's ever any redness.
Thanks from:
09-06-2010, 21:51   #9
hairyfairy00

Send a message via Skype™ to hairyfairy00
My daughter had very bad nappy rash a few months back, i literally tried every cream on the market and nothing worked. I asked in the chemist had they any suggestions and the girl suggested Canesten cream and thank god she did, the nappy rash disappeared in a matter of days. I always make sure that i have a tube handy in the house now
Advertisement
09-06-2010, 22:00   #10
cazzycaz

SUDOCREME-you can't beat it! Cotton wool and luke warm water when changing, frequent warm baths just water nothing added and frequent nappy changes.
09-06-2010, 22:14   #11
mig mag

Hi, hope ur little one's feeling a bit better.
My two boys always had bad bouts of nappy rash when teething and like was already mentioned,
water and cotton wool to clean.....no baby wipes,
I found bepanthen great aswell but sometimes when the rash comes on really bad really suddenly it is not effective enough.
He gets blisters and weeps and bleeds, I have actually cried with him over how bad it gets.
I was recommended Lassars paste with 5% LPC (Coal tar)
Some chemists will not make it up without perscription though.
It is used primarily on adults with bad skin conditions.
I noticed an improvement after the first application (overnight),
I use it twice a day for a few days and no more rash
If you find that the nappy rash gets that severe I would suggest you talk to your doctor about it as I would be lost without it.
Best of luck
Thanks from:
10-06-2010, 13:28   #12
cbyrd

Quote:
Originally Posted by r3nu4l View Post
Go with Bepanthen. It contains dexpanthenol (otherwise known as pro-vitamin B5) and lanolin and ceramides as well as other lipids. It works by optimising trans-epidermal water loss (waterloss through the skin barrier) by suporting the skin barrier, it does not contain any fragrances and is about as gentle as you can get on the skin.

I need to disclose here that I have worked with Bayer (the manufacturers) as a consultant on this product. It does work and is marketed in the UK and Ireland as a Nappy rash cream but is marketed in other countries in Europe as a wound-healing cream. Before it was ever available in Ireland many tattoo parlours imported it and recommended it's ue to customers who had tattoos as it's good at repairing damaged skin
my husband used this after his tattoo.. it is brilliant.. i use it on scratches and scrapes with the older kids but i haven't used it yet as a nappy rash so i couldn't say one way or the other as i'd no experience... yet
10-06-2010, 14:09   #13
hacked

So I saw the nurse today, and she said there's no point spending 50 quid on the doctor. She gave me a barrier spray sample (big enough sample!) and told me to just try that and put the nappy cream on top of it. Apparently you need to get a prescription for the stuff, so she saved me a fortune!

As I said I'm using the celendula cream, but would like to try something more antiseptic. I have some sudocrem in the house, but prefer the other stuff I use. For those of you who have used Bepanthen, which did you find worked better....the bepanthen or sudocrem?
10-06-2010, 22:04   #14
mig mag

Quote:
Originally Posted by hacked View Post
So I saw the nurse today, and she said there's no point spending 50 quid on the doctor. She gave me a barrier spray sample (big enough sample!) and told me to just try that and put the nappy cream on top of it. Apparently you need to get a prescription for the stuff, so she saved me a fortune!

As I said I'm using the celendula cream, but would like to try something more antiseptic. I have some sudocrem in the house, but prefer the other stuff I use. For those of you who have used Bepanthen, which did you find worked better....the bepanthen or sudocrem?
I definately find that bepanthen is far more effective than sudocrem.
10-06-2010, 23:42   #15
caprilicious

+1 for the Bepanthan, my brother in law swore by it after using it on his tattoo's.
I use it with my little lady, thankfully so far she hasn't had any bad nappy rash, just a bit red after her teething nappies.
I don't use it at every change, I put it on at night because she'll be a few hours in the nappy & after a bad nappy, I really like it because it can be used as a barrier cream and heals the rash also.

I found an interesting thread on another pregnancy forum where cornflour was suggested, not sure as I haven't tried it myself but here's the link if anyone's interested;

http://www.magicmum.com/phpBB/viewto...ilit=cornflour

Just re-read it & someone suggests egg white also.
My mum swore by 'gentian violet' when my sis was a baby, don't think it's available anymore though
Thread Closed