Boards.ie uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Click here to find out more x

08-06-2010, 15:40   #1

Cycle Racing Returns to Dublin City Centre

Racing returns to the streets of Dublin on Saturday 19th of June. The Halford's Tour Series is a team crit race lasting 60 minutes plus five laps. Dublin's one kilometre circuit takes in Dame Street, Lord Edward Street, Fishamble Street, Lower Exchange Street, Essex Street and Eustace Street.

Sweetspot, the race organisers, flew over last Saturday to walk the course and they love it. You can get a flavour of what's in store by watching the next Tour Series race in Southport which is being shown on ITV 4 this Wednesday (8th) from 7-8pm.

Warm-up events in Dublin will start at 2.30pm and the main race starts at 6.00pm.

More details at:

http://www.tourseries.ie/

Ciarán
Advertisement
08-06-2010, 16:26   #2
sxt

Nice site, good little history piece on temple bar too! Could be a fun race to watch,especially if the weather is good!
08-06-2010, 16:35   #3
kennyb3

Been following the series on Setanta - good watching esp the cobbled race a few weeks back. will try pop in to watch this
Thanks from:
09-06-2010, 00:46   #4
Slideshowbob

How many warm up events are there?

Are they races on the circuit?

What categories can participate?

Fair play to organisers - obviously had to do alot of negotiating for closure of Dame St etc

Although if they can shut down south Dublin yesterday for the womens marathon why not something similar for elite cyclists
09-06-2010, 01:58   #5
monument

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slideshowbob View Post
How many warm up events are there?

Are they races on the circuit?

What categories can participate?

Fair play to organisers - obviously had to do alot of negotiating for closure of Dame St etc

Although if they can shut down south Dublin yesterday for the womens marathon why not something similar for elite cyclists
It's part of National Bike Week next week (more at http://bikeweek.ie/ ). There's no Dublin City Cycle this year (at least not part of Bike Week) which has in past years lead to the closing off more roads.
Advertisement
09-06-2010, 07:35   #6
Caroline_ie

The warm up events include a women Crit as well sometime around 4pm, around 60 ladies from your favourite irish clubs
09-06-2010, 11:08   #7

The tour is in Belfast the night before and the trucks will arrive in Dublin about 8.00am on Saturday morning. We'll start shutting down the roads around 9.00am and should have the circuit ready for racing by lunchtime.

It's going to be a pretty busy morning; we need to build a start/finish gantry, a winner's podium, TV camera platforms, barrier the full course and bale two tricky corners.

Between 2.30pm and 5.00pm there will be three warm-up races. Cycling Ireland are finalising these events right now and I'll get them to post details in the next day or so. As Caroline says a women's race will be one of the events.

From about 5.00pm riders in the main event will get a chance to warm-up on the course and the race starts at 6.00pm. The race should finish around 7.15pm, prize giving should be done by 8.00pm and all going well we will be packed-up and have the roads re-opened by 11.00pm.

Some you may have noticed a big hole in the middle of Eustace Street. I am assured by my colleagues in road maintenance that this will disappear in the next few days.......
(4) thanks from:
09-06-2010, 11:11   #8
Caroline_ie

Quick question ... racing on cobbles in Temple bar ... would it better to use thicker tires than 23's?
09-06-2010, 11:21   #9
seamus
Dental Plan!

Send a message via MSN to seamus
Although I've never ridden my 23c's in Temple Bar, I would be 99% certain that 23c's would be a nightmare in those cobbles; the gaps can be huge in places. Turning would be especially difficult.

Here's hoping for dry weather on the 19th, a bit of rain and it'll be a duathlon with a short job through temple bar.
Advertisement
09-06-2010, 12:24   #10

23's are no problem. I recommend using tubs, as pinches are likely.
09-06-2010, 12:56   #11
Beasty
Put that light out!

Quote:
Originally Posted by DCC_Cycling (Ciaran) View Post

Some you may have noticed a big hole in the middle of Eustace Street. I am assured by my colleagues in road maintenance that this will disappear in the next few days.......
....down an even bigger one!!

(if my experience of holes in Irish roads is anthing to go by)
09-06-2010, 20:02   #12
dubmess

Carnage!

The turns onto Exchange st. Lower coming off the hill of Fishamble st. onto cobbles and then turning from East Essex st. to Eustace st.

If there's a decent sized group at any speed I expect to see some road rash... they'll be my 2 favoured viewpoints anyway... not that I want to see anyone crash, I want to see how they deal with it. LOTS of haybales Ciarán!!!

It's gonna be a good evening of racing.
09-06-2010, 21:43   #13

Yep Dubmess - they are the two places Sweetspot want baled. Fishamble Street is short but deceptively steep.

Viewing will probably be best from inside the circuit. It should be easy to move around and check out a few spots. The circuit will be completely barriered off but we are going to try to keep two steward controlled crossings going. If the race splits up these may have to shut down so its probably best to get inside before the start.

Does anyone know any tips for riding cobbles? I hear pushing a big gear is best. My experience is limited to watching Paris Roubaix on the tele.
09-06-2010, 21:56   #14
dubmess

Fast as you can is the trick to cobbles, so you kind of 'float' over them. This will be difficult at those 2 corners as they'll really have to limit their speed coming around them... East Essex street is relatively smooth just at that corner so it shouldn't be too much of a problem, but turning onto Eustace will be a toughie as there are quite big gaps...

Looking forward to this. Well done Ciaran for helping to make this happen... I only wish I'd been organising the Messenger World Championships here after you'd taken up your position, rather than facing the stone wall of the council as I did in 2007. Such is life.
Thanks from:
09-06-2010, 22:34   #15
Slideshowbob

It would be good if Cycling Ireland announced what support races there will be asap.

Would give normal Irish domestic riders an opportunity to know what is going on - and time for them to tell friends and family to come along and make it more of a spectacle.

I do hope they do run a few races before the main event - would be a shame to see an opportunity like that wasted.

Some underage events could be good too - or how about a Senior 2 / 3 race?

Quick Reply
Bold
Italic
Underline

Insert Image
Wrap [QUOTE] tags around selected text

Decrease Size
Increase Size
Please sign up or log in to join the discussion