Boards.ie uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Click here to find out more x

13-05-2010, 13:09   #1
Irish and Proud

M1 New Section of D3 (three lanes) at Swords

Fingal Co Co has published plans for the widening of a 2km section of the M1 to Dual 3 Lane. The section is between J2 (Airport) and J3 (Drinan). An interesting point, the specs for the Northbound carraigeway is for 3 x 3.65m lanes, while those for the Southbound carraigeway is for 3 x 3.5m lanes. Also, the Hard Shoulders are down as varied - so maybe they'll stay at 3m generally. The Median Strips are 1.0m as usual.

What I'm guessing is that a 100kph limit will be imposed for Southbound traffic in order to keep the pressure off the M50. If that's so, can one conclude that the standard specs for a 3 lane motorway carraigeway are:

1 x 3.00m Hard Shoulder
3 x 3.65m Lanes
1 x 1.00m Median Strip
Total Pavement: 14.95m?

Another interesting point is the two concrete median barriers proposed. The link is as follow:

http://www.fingalcoco.ie/Roads/Schem...TANDDRINANINT/

Regards!

MOD EDIT:

New camera active online shows the site

http://www.dublincity.ie/dublintraffic/

Last edited by Amtmann; 12-02-2011 at 12:03.
(5) thanks from:
Advertisement
13-05-2010, 13:48   #2
KevR

The difference in lane width between the two carriageways seems a bit odd. Why not just have them all equal at 3.575m?

Is a 2.5m hard shoulder not the norm for everything new these days? On the proposed cross-section the Southbound HS actually looks wider than the Northbound; so maybe all running lanes could all be 3.65m?

The 2 concrete barriers makes sense - concrete barriers usually have to split in 2 to go around bridge and overhead gantry supports. I'm guessing there will be at least a couple of overhead gantry supports or bridge supports so it would only be splitting, rejoining, splitting, rejoining if they were to try to just use a single barrier over such a short distance. Also, (I think) there is lighting poles in the median so 2 seperate barriers would save them having to do anything with those lights.

PS - nothing stopping them imposing a 100kmh limit Southbound even if the lanes are 3.65m.
13-05-2010, 20:34   #3
alentejo

They should really consider having 3 lanes from the airport to the Jct4. Would seem a bit piecemeal as they eventually need to extend this....
(2) thanks from:
13-05-2010, 22:09   #4
Jayuu

Quote:
Originally Posted by alentejo View Post
They should really consider having 3 lanes from the airport to the Jct4. Would seem a bit piecemeal as they eventually need to extend this....
Totally agree with this although the bridge over the estuary just before Junction 4 would have to be rebuilt which would probably add quite a bit to the cost of the project.

But anytime I travel out this road heading north during rush hour the traffic always seems to ease off after Junction 4.
13-05-2010, 22:12   #5
L1011

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jayuu View Post
Totally agree with this although the bridge over the estuary just before Junction 4 would have to be rebuilt which would probably add quite a bit to the cost of the project.

But anytime I travel out this road heading north during rush hour the traffic always seems to ease off after Junction 4.
The Estuary bridge is more than wide enough - it has space for a third lane in the centre as part of its design.
Advertisement
13-05-2010, 22:14   #6
Bluetonic

Quote:
The two bridges, the one over the estuary and the one over Seatown Road are wide enough for another lane both sides with space left. The bridges were of course built with this in mind. No rebuilding is necessary, just laying the surface.

Crossed with MYOB!!
13-05-2010, 22:16   #7
Jayuu

Quote:
Originally Posted by MYOB View Post
The Estuary bridge is more than wide enough - it has space for a third lane in the centre as part of its design.
Fair enough. Its been a while since I've actually driven over it and I would have thought it wasn't wide enough. In that case I don't see why they couldn't extend it all the way to Junction 4.

And while they were working it would be handy to have Junction 3 upgraded to a full junction.
13-05-2010, 22:19   #8
Bluetonic

Quote:
And while they were working it would be handy to have Junction 3 upgraded to a full junction.
J3 doesn't need to be a full junction. It's these junctions that slow down traffic flow, Swords already has two full junctions and one north off and south on, more than enough.
13-05-2010, 22:24   #9
DWCommuter

D3 all the way to Junction 4 or its not worth doing.

Considering the "recent" nature of many of our roads, the unnecessary tailbacks in certain areas is a classic example of how this country ballsed it up. D3 southbound to the ball at Naas and merge to D2 is another disaster in evening peak.
Advertisement
13-05-2010, 23:14   #10
Sponge Bob
Banned

Bypass Galway first , delays on this stretch are minor league and widening a waste of money to my mind!!!
Thanks from:
13-05-2010, 23:21   #11
Bluetonic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sponge Bob View Post
Bypass Galway first , delays on this stretch are minor league and widening a waste of money to my mind!!!
Let have your definition of minor?

Also note that FCC's proposals and Galways bypass aren't mutually exclusive and come from a different fund.
24-05-2010, 10:39   #12
celticbest

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sponge Bob View Post
Galway has far less traffic to deal with compared to Dublin, also the M1 connects the two biggest cities in Ireland - Dublin to Belfast through some of the most densely populated parts of the country, if this road needs to be widened in order for traffic to flow then this should be done.

Population of Galway 231,035 - area 6,148 km2 - density 37 per km2
Population of Fingal region 239,813 - area 448.07 km2 - density 535 per km2

Yes Galway does need to be by-passed but you can't say don't do this job or that job before you do this one or this is a waste of money.

People in Dublin have had to live with the worst traffic in the country for years, we are only recently seeing an improvement in this thanks to the upgrade of the M50, as a result of this upgrade traffic is getting to the M1 in a much quicker and more steady flow, this is now causing this stretch of the M1 Motorway to clog up at peak times so yes this upgrade does need to be done ASAP so the people of Swords, Balbriggan, Gormanstown, Stamullen, Drogheda, Dundalk, Newry whom use this route to commute to and from work on a daily basis and then you also have the intercity traffic heading to Belfast, on a road of this importance you should expect traffic not to have to come to a standstill around Swords each and every evening.

Lets not forget that this is a Motorway and slowdowns like this should not occur on a regular basis.
24-05-2010, 13:53   #13
KevR

Quote:
Originally Posted by celticbest View Post
Lets not forget that this is a Motorway and slowdowns like this should not occur on a regular basis.
I agree

but...

Quote:
Galway has far less traffic to deal with compared to Dublin, also the M1 connects the two biggest cities in Ireland - Dublin to Belfast through some of the most densely populated parts of the country, if this road needs to be widened in order for traffic to flow then this should be done.

Population of Galway 231,035 - area 6,148 km2 - density 37 per km2
Population of Fingal region 239,813 - area 448.07 km2 - density 535 per km2

Yes Galway does need to be by-passed but you can't say don't do this job or that job before you do this one or this is a waste of money.

People in Dublin have had to live with the worst traffic in the country for years, we are only recently seeing an improvement in this thanks to the upgrade of the M50, as a result of this upgrade traffic is getting to the M1 in a much quicker and more steady flow, this is now causing this stretch of the M1 Motorway to clog up at peak times so yes this upgrade does need to be done ASAP so the people of Swords, Balbriggan, Gormanstown, Stamullen, Drogheda, Dundalk, Newry whom use this route to commute to and from work on a daily basis and then you also have the intercity traffic heading to Belfast, on a road of this importance you should expect traffic not to have to come to a standstill around Swords each and every evening.
We're talking about a bypass of Galway City, not the entire County!! Population density in Galway City is obviously far greater than the density of the whole County (it's the second biggest county in the Ireland!).

I do think the M1 widening should go ahead and I don't think it will ever be a case of either the Galway BP or the M1 widening only going ahead, both eventually will.

However, if it was the case that one had to get priority over the other then the Galway Bypass would definitely have to be given priority. It wouldn't even come close to being a contest, no offence to the people of North Dublin/the M1 corridor.
24-05-2010, 15:38   #14
Bluetonic

Quote:
Originally Posted by KevR View Post
However, if it was the case that one had to get priority over the other then the Galway Bypass would definitely have to be given priority. It wouldn't even come close to being a contest, no offence to the people of North Dublin/the M1 corridor.
Totally unbiased view of course.
24-05-2010, 16:06   #15
celticbest

Quote:
We're talking about a bypass of Galway City, not the entire County!! Population density in Galway City is obviously far greater than the density of the whole County (it's the second biggest county in the Ireland!).
Quote:
As I stated before the M1 is a major route which connects city to city, the Galway bypass from what I can see doesn't connect to any other major route, correct me if I'm wrong.

Proposed N6 -Galway outer Bypass.JPG

Quote:
Lets not forget that the M1 is the mainline link to Dublin Port and Dublin Airport, both of which are the busiest goods/people movers in the country.

Dublin Airport is expected to have 20 million passengers this year, it's usually open 364 days a year (except for ash clouds) this equals an average of about 55,000 people using it a day, http://www.finfacts.ie/irishfinancen..._1016963.shtml

Dublin port, the latest figures I could find (2003) Passengers through were 1.5 million this as per above standard would equal an average of about 4,100 passengers a day, also 23.5 million tonnes of cargo pass through it yearly, http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dublin_Port

It therefore goes without saying that the M1 is a higher priority than Galway City by-pass, Galway in the last census had a population of 72,414, Dublin Airport daily passengers numbers are 55,000+ Dublin port passengers 4,100 and the population of Swords 33,998 = 93,098 these numbers alone are greater than the population of Galway by over 20,600. This is without adding in the other commuter towns along the M1.

As I said before Galway deserves a by-pass but you have to look at the numbers before you can say that it should be a priority over the M1.
(2) thanks from:

Quick Reply
Bold
Italic
Underline

Insert Image
Wrap [QUOTE] tags around selected text

Decrease Size
Increase Size
Please sign up or log in to join the discussion