Boards.ie uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Click here to find out more x

06-05-2010, 11:18   #1
aerosol

condensed milk

Can anyone tell me if condensed milk is the same as evaporated milk? Ta
Advertisement
06-05-2010, 11:22   #2
huskerdu

Condensed milk is sometimes sweetened. Carnation (one of the best known
brands) is.

I bought evaoprated milk in Aldi last night and there is no added sugar.
I dont know if this distinction is the same with all brands, or if the terms
are interchangable,

I was thinking this last night, as I bought the evaporated milk for use in a recipe
that calls for condensed milk. As there is already lots of sugar in the recipe,
I doubt if it matters.

Just checked wikipedia and they say that condensed milk is sweetened and evaporated milk isn't.
06-05-2010, 11:22   #3
Alun

Condensed milk is much thicker and sweeter than evaporated milk. To give an idea, I don't know if you can still get it, but you used to be able to buy condensed milk in tubes it's that thick!

See http://www.buzzle.com/articles/conde...ated-milk.html
06-05-2010, 11:24   #4
CJhaughey

They are very different, Condensed milk is sweet and very viscous, hard to pour.
Evaporated milk is unsweetened and much lighter almost like normal milk in texture but a lot more concentrated.
06-05-2010, 11:26   #5
CJhaughey

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alun View Post
Condensed milk is much thicker and sweeter than evaporated milk. To give an idea, I don't know if you can still get it, but you used to be able to buy condensed milk in tubes it's that thick!
That was a favourite for hikers making tea outdoors, instead of carrying a liquid prone to spoilage like milk condensed milk in a tube was an easy way to whiten your tea.
Advertisement
06-05-2010, 11:27   #6
aerosol

Many thanks,I'm making a cheese cake that calls for condensed milk,I'm guessing the lack of sweetness in the evaporated would mess it up.back to the shops....
06-05-2010, 11:41   #7
dubh101

They are not the same thing at all,and doubt you should interchange them in a recipe.There is a great product,been around for a while,for banoffi available in Tesco where the condensed milk is all ready boiled and caramilised.
06-05-2010, 14:43   #8
Magic Monkey

Milk that has 60% of it's water removed is evaporated milk. This concentrates it, making is slightly sweeter and thicker. It can be made from whole, low-fat or nonfat milk.

Sweetened condensed milk is evaporated milk + 20% of it's weight in sugar. Unsweetened condensed milk is... evaporated milk. So, if the recipe calls for condensed milk and all you have is evaporated, just add 20% sugar to it, or to the overall recipe. In this case, just use icing sugar and beat it in with the cream cheese.
Thanks from:
06-05-2010, 20:54   #9
Dinkie

Evaporated milk is great as a low fat alternative to cream in carbonara, etc.

Condensed milk is great licked off a spoon
Advertisement
06-05-2010, 23:05   #10
tfak85

got to www.cakespy.com ... there is an "interview" with both condensed and evaporated milk on there all about their differences..
07-05-2010, 12:56   #11
aerosol

Thanks loads for all the replies,I got a can of condensed,the cake was devoured hardly before it set

I'll try the evaporated next time beating the icing sugar in
08-05-2010, 20:31   #12
rubadub

Quote:
Originally Posted by aerosol View Post
I'll try the evaporated next time beating the icing sugar in
Why not just use the proper condensed milk?

Many people do not realise how much natural sugar is already in milk, evaporated milk has more sugar than coke, and regular skim milk has more sugar than lilt.
08-05-2010, 22:57   #13
Sigma Force

I find condensed great, as said, for banoffee and desserts I love Evapourated milk I use it in mac and cheese and chicken balti it thickens up more in cooking and sooo nummy. I use the Aldi Evapourated milk, so much cheaper. Haven't seen condensed milk in Aldi anyone know if they carry it or Lidl?
Mind you I cheat now and just buy the ready made carnation dulche de whatsit but it's not 100% as nice as making from scratch.
08-05-2010, 23:31   #14
aerosol

I was going to use the evaporated with sugar next time because I have it there already. I actually found the cake a wee bit sweet so will maybes even get a more prefered taste by using it and not too much sugar
09-05-2010, 07:03   #15
dubh101

Quote:
Originally Posted by Guineapigrescue View Post
I find condensed great, as said, for banoffee and desserts I love Evapourated milk I use it in mac and cheese and chicken balti it thickens up more in cooking and sooo nummy. I use the Aldi Evapourated milk, so much cheaper. Haven't seen condensed milk in Aldi anyone know if they carry it or Lidl?
Mind you I cheat now and just buy the ready made carnation dulche de whatsit but it's not 100% as nice as making from scratch.
Unfortunatley Aldi or Lidl do not carry condensed milk,only the evaporated,I always have too go to Tesco for mine.

Quick Reply
Bold
Italic
Underline

Insert Image
Wrap [QUOTE] tags around selected text

Decrease Size
Increase Size
Please sign up or log in to join the discussion