Boards.ie uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Click here to find out more x

17-04-2010, 09:35   #1
silverharp

sailing for kids?

What is a good age for kids to start learning to sail? what are the options for Dun Loaghaire?

Cheers
Advertisement
18-04-2010, 09:38   #2
Tabnabs
nine meals from anarchy

You're never too young to learn

http://www.inss.ie/
Thanks from:
19-04-2010, 13:29   #3
silverharp

cheers, I've taken courses with them before and enjoyed them.

out of interest doe the club in Poolbeg organise anything for kids? their website didnt give any info.?
14-05-2010, 14:20   #4
alexlyons

great age to start is 10-12, any younger, (unless they're planning on getting seriously into racing etc in which case kids start as young as 8) and they tend to loose interest or find it harder to grasp. I've been involved in teaching kids like this for years and having been with all age groups of kids, those that start at 10-12 end up grasping it the best.

2 weeks in the INSS is the same price as a full year in the Irish Youth Sailing Club. They also offer much more in terms of kayaking, powerboating, windsurfing etc etc. They also got a 17" yacht that I sailed down from carlingford with a few others. It's a great boat and really helps the kids progress from smaller dinghies.

It's a relaxed atmosphere and great environment. They just took on a new group of kids, but get in touch if your still interested.

www.iysc.net
15-05-2010, 09:30   #5
silverharp

Quote:
Originally Posted by alexlyons View Post
great age to start is 10-12, any younger, (unless they're planning on getting seriously into racing etc in which case kids start as young as 8) and they tend to loose interest or find it harder to grasp. I've been involved in teaching kids like this for years and having been with all age groups of kids, those that start at 10-12 end up grasping it the best.

2 weeks in the INSS is the same price as a full year in the Irish Youth Sailing Club. They also offer much more in terms of kayaking, powerboating, windsurfing etc etc. They also got a 17" yacht that I sailed down from carlingford with a few others. It's a great boat and really helps the kids progress from smaller dinghies.

It's a relaxed atmosphere and great environment. They just took on a new group of kids, but get in touch if your still interested.

www.iysc.net

Thanks very much for that, its been a couple of years since I've out but I remember seeing the kids there. Thanks for the advice about the age of child and when they will best enjoy it.

It sounds like a nice organisation, I've always liked the approach of groups like Glenans so thanks for the heads up
Advertisement
20-05-2010, 03:56   #6
Steve
Life is hard, deal with it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dyflin View Post
You're never too young to learn

http://www.inss.ie/
That's the truth! - I was told I started at 4

Quick Reply
Bold
Italic