Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

What beer are we drinking this week ?

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,561 ✭✭✭Martyn1989

Maybe the bar managers want to appear to offer something exclusive? Maybe they might feel it will be an easier sell to the less discerning beer drinker?

I'd imagine the brewers are happy if enough of their beer is being shifted, they do run businesses at the end of the day.

Having a Dark Arts porter lovingly stowed in my gfs case when she flew here, its better then I remembered it.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 11,777 Mod ✭✭✭✭BeerNut

Martyn1989 wrote: »
    I'd imagine the brewers are happy if enough of their beer is being shifted, they do run businesses at the end of the day.
    This. The Franciscan Well has always been happy to rebadge its beers to get them sold. In the 1990s Irish craft beer was less about brand profile and more about getting someone, anyone, to drink the stuff. I think there was a feeling that the "Rebel" branding wouldn't fly so well in Dublin.
    the very same beer has been available in The Bull & Castle under it's actual name
    Only in the last few months. It was "Castle Red" when it went in in 2006.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,748 ✭✭✭✭Lovely Bloke

I'm sure it's been Rebel Red for more than a few months, no?

I think the change was made some time last year. irish_goat will know.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,557 ✭✭✭Knifey Spoony

bladebrew wrote: »
    I was at the winter beer festival in the franciscan well earlier today had a few different drinks, had a coffee and oatmeal stout and a dark arts porter, i have only tasted them twice before in bottles but it was way different they seemed to have a far more bitter taste, im no expert but i didnt really enjoy them as much as i hoped,
    The jameson aged stout was feckin lovely though! very high abv of 7.8% but it has a sweet taste very hard to describe, only €3 for a glass aswell,

Was there myself for a bit on Friday and Saturday night and was very impressed since I didn't really enjoy it last year. Was great to get to have Alpha Dog again, which was one of the highlights of the festival for me. Sabotage IPA was also great, really looking forward to the bottle version of it later in the year.

I was really looking forward to having some of the Jameson Stout again, but missed out on it by an hour.:( Although Leann Fileann and Shandon Stout on cask somewhat made up for missing out on the Jameson Stout. Also, had a try of the Metal Man Pale Ale and don't really see what all the fuss about it is, considering it won Beoir beer of the year.

It was also great to see the Franciscan Well be so involved with the festival in terms of the amount of their own beers they made available on cask, which was a big change from previous years from what I can remember.

Roll on Easter Fest now.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 344 ✭✭cormacjones

stuchyg wrote: »
    Was in town with the missus yesterday to plan our honeymoon. We hit up Farringtons in Temple Bar where I had a pint of Metalman and she had a glass of Blue Moon and SN. Next up was the Porterhouse, she had a pint of Strawberry Fruli which was amazing I must say and I had a pint of Hop Head on cask which was v poor. Iffy Taste and Smell. Hit up ATG afterwards for some grub and pints. I had some Celebration ale which was as good as you would expect. The star of the show though was my first taste of Left Hand Milk Stout on tap. Can honestly say it was the nicest stout I have ever tasted.

I had my first taste of Left Hand Milk State from a bottle this weekend and I thought it was delicious. Far nicer than the Dungarvan Coffee and Oatmeal IMO (I'm only mentioning that because it was the previous stout I tried).

I'm looking forward to trying it on tap. Hopefully Brewdock have it as well.

• Registered Users Posts: 741 ✭✭✭baron von something

looking forward to trying the new innis&gunn irish whiskey cask.absolutely loved their highland cask

• Registered Users Posts: 8,441 ✭✭✭squonk

Sampled some more Buried At Sea this weekend and it was, as it was previously, fantastic. I don't want the tap to go away from the SaltHouse. While I was there I also gave Dead Pony Club a try. It was OK but didn't have enough body to my taste really. As a treat I tried a bottle of Mickeller Geek Breakfast. Holy jumpin Jebus! I wasn't prepared for how complex it would be or just how damn good it is! I've never experienced beer like it before. I reckon any other oatmeal & coffee stout will be ruined for me after that. A smaller bottle would have down though. It's very rich and I think there was too much of it to appreciate it fully.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,285 ✭✭✭Frankie Lee

I had a couple of bottles of St Peters Organic Ale, unremarkable but rather pleasant. The best thing about it is the flask shaped bottle.
    squonk wrote: »
    It was OK but didn't have enough body to my taste really. As a treat I tried a bottle of Mickeller Geek Breakfast. Holy jumpin Jebus! I wasn't prepared for how complex it would be or just how damn good it is! I've never experienced beer like it before. I reckon any other oatmeal & coffee stout will be ruined for me after that. A smaller bottle would have down though. It's very rich and I think there was too much of it to appreciate it fully.

Mikkeller really are an insanely good brewery, nothing I've tasted from them has been ordinary. They are like Brewdog on steroids.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,491 ✭✭✭stuchyg

^^^^ only Mikkller brew I have had was the Coffee IPA and i was pretty disappointed. That being said I still wanna try geek breakfast

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 7,669 ✭✭✭Colonel Sanders

stuchyg wrote: »
    The star of the show though was my first taste of Left Hand Milk Stout on tap. Can honestly say it was the nicest stout I have ever tasted.

Interesting, always wanted to try this.

Wouldn't be in town very much these days but should be in either Friday or Saturday this weekend

• Registered Users Posts: 12,962 ✭✭✭✭Losty Dublin

I've asked before about small Irish operations going down the re-badging route, especially when the very same beer has been available in The Bull & Castle under it's actual name. It would be a different story if a beer was being produced exclusively for a certain establishment.

for example, Carlow Brewing produce a beer for The Bull & Castle, it's a Golden Ale called Buckley's, and as far as I know is only sold in the B&C, and perhaps a small number of other places.

The Gingerbread has had it's own ales in for over a decade now. I'd say much of it is to keep their names going in some shape or form.

I finally made it into the Merchant's Arch last night and had one pint of Rowers. I found it to be quite watery and lacking a general warmth, not worth half of what I paid for it and in rather tacky surroundings. We beat a hasty retreat to the Palace where some Leanan on tap (Mmmmmmm) and a few O'Hara's red saved the day for me; it's an excellent pub to be sure :)

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 5,760 Mod ✭✭✭✭irish_goat

BeerNut wrote: »
    I think the change was made some time last year. irish_goat will know.

Changed sometime in December. Can't remember if the boss gave a reason or not.

Buckley's is made exclusively for the Buckley's chain of restaurants and pubs although I think the point of it is more that it gets the brand name out there. I'm not sure they'd care if Carlow started selling it as O'Hara's Golden Ale as well.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,625 ✭✭✭✭BaZmO*

irish_goat wrote: »

Buckley's is made exclusively for the Buckley's chain of restaurants and pubs although I think the point of it is more that it gets the brand name out there. I'm not sure they'd care if Carlow started selling it as O'Hara's Golden Ale as well.
    Didn't they run a competition to name the beer? I doubt it's about brand awareness if they were letting the customers name it. I'd say its more a case of having an exclusive beer.

BaZmO* wrote: »
    Didn't they run a competition to name the beer? I doubt it's about brand awareness if they were letting the customers name it. I'd say its more a case of having an exclusive beer.
    Buckleys was the winning entry?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,748 ✭✭✭✭Lovely Bloke

Martyn1989 wrote: »
    Buckleys was the winning entry?

Nice and simple, certainly better than some convoluted BrewDog-esque hipster name. :pac:

Nice and simple, certainly better than some convoluted BrewDog-esque hipster name. :pac:
    It is better then some brewdog names but it can't have been a very large competition if the best that came in was the name of the restaurant

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 5,760 Mod ✭✭✭✭irish_goat

BaZmO* wrote: »

I can find out but I'd be surprised if that was the case.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,625 ✭✭✭✭BaZmO*

irish_goat wrote: »

I can find out but I'd be surprised if that was the case.
    I'm almost certain it is. Think it was on the Beoir (formerly ICB) website. And if memory serves me right none of the suggestions were picked, they just went with Buckleys themselves. I'm sure Beernut will know.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 16,757 ✭✭✭✭the beer revolu

Drinkin Metalman Pale Ale on cask in The Abbot's, Cork this week.
    Nicer than anything I tasted at the festival over the weekend.

For me, this is the perfect cask beer.
    Yummmmmmyyyyyyy!!!!

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 79,997 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sephiroth_dude

Got two bottles of Schneider weisse mein kristall tap 2 ,is it similar to erdinger kristall?

• Registered Users Posts: 16,757 ✭✭✭✭the beer revolu

Got two bottles of Schneider weisse mein kristall tap 2 ,is it similar to erdinger kristall?
    Yes.
    Nicer imo.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,876 ✭✭✭Scortho

Sampled some more Buried At Sea this weekend and it was, as it was previously, fantastic. I don't want the tap to go away from the SaltHouse. While I was there I also gave Dead Pony Club a try. It was OK but didn't have enough body to my taste really. As a treat I tried a bottle of Mickeller Geek Breakfast. Holy jumpin Jebus! I wasn't prepared for how complex it would be or just how damn good it is! I've never experienced beer like it before. I reckon any other oatmeal & coffee stout will be ruined for me after that. A smaller bottle would have down though. It's very rich and I think there was too much of it to appreciate it fully.

Where'd you pick up the mikkeller?

• Registered Users Posts: 8,441 ✭✭✭squonk

Scortho wrote: »
    Where'd you pick up the mikkeller?

In the Salt House here in Galway. They have some bottles of Geek Breakfast in at the moment.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,748 ✭✭✭Dermighty

Far better!

• Registered Users Posts: 148 ✭✭donalfo

I tried a couple o' bottles of Donegal Blonde, from a new brewery in Ballyshannon, Co. Donegal. I have very little experience drinking pale ales, but it tastes very nice but the head disappeared very fast.
    I'd buy it again when I'm having one or two because it is very tasty, not sure about going on a session on it though, could be a bit heavy.

I'm not sure if it is sold anywhere besides their own pub and off licence (Dicey Reillys).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,876 ✭✭✭Scortho

In the Salt House here in Galway. They have some bottles of Geek Breakfast in at the moment.

Feck I'm in dublin.
    Does anyone know if drink store or devaneys have it?
    Or does the salt house let you buy bottles and take them with you (like an offy)?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,276 ✭✭✭slayerking

donalfo wrote: »
    I tried a couple o' bottles of Donegal Blonde, from a new brewery in Ballyshannon, Co. Donegal. I have very little experience drinking pale ales, but it tastes very nice but the head disappeared very fast.
    I'd buy it again when I'm having one or two because it is very tasty, not sure about going on a session on it though, could be a bit heavy.

I'm not sure if it is sold anywhere besides their own pub and off licence (Dicey Reillys).

Funny enough Superquinn started stocking it in Dublin recently. They have really started to get in a lot of Irish craft beer which is great. Its not a bad blonde if memory serves me correctly.
    It could do with a few more hops, but that's just my own personal preference. I say that about most blonde ales!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,276 ✭✭✭slayerking

Scortho wrote: »

Feck I'm in dublin.
    Does anyone know if drink store or devaneys have it?
    Or does the salt house let you buy bottles and take them with you (like an offy)?

Carry out in Ashtown had it a few weeks ago. Haven't been in there in a while.

Where are you based?

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement