Boards.ie uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Click here to find out more x

19-03-2010, 21:24   #31
Danco

Quote:
Originally Posted by Judgement Day View Post
When boxes are damaged it is usually the door and so older boxes often have later doors including the rare Irish Free State monogram - see below.

That is class!
Thanks from:
Advertisement
20-03-2010, 10:55   #32
TheIrishGrover

Quote:
Originally Posted by Danco View Post
That sounds pretty cool. I loved that series, it was really dark for a kids show, and really well made.
Well, the cels are available online on ebay and various galleries. However the one I have is unusual. They did one episode in a style atypical of their usual style, telling stories inspired by different artists/writers. One of the segments was based on Frank Millar's The Dark Knight Returns. This was the book that brought Batman back from the "biff, pow, whammo" campness of the 60's show to the general public. The comics, in general, were serious in tone at this time but this was the book that caught the mainstream attention.. Here is the cel

And a sample of my other stuff. These are two drawings from an animator and producer called Bruce Timm. He was one of the main people behind the Batman animated series and most of the subsequent Warner Bros superhero series of the 90's and 00's and was responsible for the look of most of the characters

The last sample is a drawing I have from an animated film called The Iron Giant (From Brad Bird who did The Incredbles and Ratatoullie). Originally there would be a hand drawing like this, then that would be transferred to plastic (cel) and hand painted. This then would be photographed. 24 of these for every second. Nowadays, even in hand animated films like Disney's The Princess and The Frog, the drawings are done by hand on a drawing tablet and digitally painted.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Batman_TAS_Production_Cel_by_theirishgrover.jpg (10.8 KB, 575 views)
File Type: jpg Harley_by_theirishgrover.jpg (25.1 KB, 580 views)
File Type: jpg Bruce_Timm_Sketch_by_theirishgrover.jpg (14.6 KB, 576 views)
File Type: jpg Professionals_onlyyyyyyyyy.jpg (31.8 KB, 575 views)
(2) thanks from:
20-03-2010, 23:30   #33
Danco

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheIrishGrover View Post
Well, the cels are available online on ebay and various galleries. However the one I have is unusual. They did one episode in a style atypical of their usual style, telling stories inspired by different artists/writers. One of the segments was based on Frank Millar's The Dark Knight Returns. This was the book that brought Batman back from the "biff, pow, whammo" campness of the 60's show to the general public. The comics, in general, were serious in tone at this time but this was the book that caught the mainstream attention.. Here is the cel

And a sample of my other stuff. These are two drawings from an animator and producer called Bruce Timm. He was one of the main people behind the Batman animated series and most of the subsequent Warner Bros superhero series of the 90's and 00's and was responsible for the look of most of the characters

The last sample is a drawing I have from an animated film called The Iron Giant (From Brad Bird who did The Incredbles and Ratatoullie). Originally there would be a hand drawing like this, then that would be transferred to plastic (cel) and hand painted. This then would be photographed. 24 of these for every second. Nowadays, even in hand animated films like Disney's The Princess and The Frog, the drawings are done by hand on a drawing tablet and digitally painted.
This is all cool stuff, especially the Batman cell, it's great that it's not one of those crappy cells where you can only see a hand or something in it. Are the drawings originals or prints? I'd imagine they're pretty rare to come by.
20-03-2010, 23:38   #34
Danco

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blade View Post
Were old post boxes and phone boxes not exactly the same as the UK ones but painted over green?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Judgement Day View Post
Most Irish postboxes still date from the pre-independence period and boxes with the Royal ciphers of Queen Victoria, Edward VII and George V can be found throughout the country. They were just painted over with green paint and, in most cases, the ciphers have been left intact. When boxes are damaged it is usually the door and so older boxes often have later doors including the rare Irish Free State monogram
Shamefully enough, I had never even noticed many of the postboxes in Ireland match those in the UK in all but colour. I didn't realise there were so many variations at all. It really is the type of thing you could see every day and never really register. I'll be paying a lot more attention to the postboxes I pass in future. I think this is really interesting and I can't believe I never clicked into it before.
21-03-2010, 01:53   #35
TheIrishGrover

Quote:
Originally Posted by Danco View Post
This is all cool stuff, especially the Batman cell, it's great that it's not one of those crappy cells where you can only see a hand or something in it. Are the drawings originals or prints? I'd imagine they're pretty rare to come by.
The batman one is one of my favourites. It seems simple enough but once you delve into the work involved and the history of the episode, you start to see the importance of the image. Much like Judgement's Day's post boxes. I would have thought "Wha? nutter" until I saw the photo I thanked and then I thought of the impact of those post boxes and the history behind them and I saw them in a new light: "P&T vans? I remember those". All of my stuff is original. One of them was made into a poster, one of them a T-shirt and another was a cover. I only have a few (7 drawings, one finished cel (Batman) and 3 initial animation drawings) And, yes, they are hard to come by alright. (And I've had to forfeit a holiday or two for some) I've been waiting for over 2 years a poison Ivy pic from Bruce Timm to come on sale and I got it last week.

But, I think, like all of you think, it's worth it. It's not their value. It's what prompted you to think "Yeah, I like that, I'll buy it". That's the real reason for collecting. I know a guy who collects a little bit of everything in the off chance that one of them is going to be worth a fortune some day. None of my stuff is going to be worth much more than what I paid for it but I like it, I like owning the original, and, hey, it's better than p1ssing it up against a wall each weekend.
Advertisement
21-03-2010, 11:42   #36
Blade

Heres some samples of Roman items I've collected, coins, fibula/brooches, keys, rings etc.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg philip equity.jpg (144.5 KB, 78 views)
File Type: jpg roman other.jpg (475.0 KB, 71 views)
File Type: jpg traj2.jpg (42.0 KB, 61 views)
File Type: jpg roman silver.jpg (495.0 KB, 68 views)

Last edited by Blade; 21-03-2010 at 11:54.
21-03-2010, 12:47   #37
arnhem44

Great collections lads,Blade those coins are in remarkable condition,very nice.
21-03-2010, 14:46   #38
Judgement Day

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheIrishGrover View Post
But, I think, like all of you think, it's worth it. It's not their value. It's what prompted you to think "Yeah, I like that, I'll buy it". That's the real reason for collecting. I know a guy who collects a little bit of everything in the off chance that one of them is going to be worth a fortune some day. None of my stuff is going to be worth much more than what I paid for it but I like it, I like owning the original, and, hey, it's better than p1ssing it up against a wall each weekend.
The Irish Grover - I couldn't have put it better, collect what you like rather than what you think may increase in value, and perhaps it may in time, but who cares as long as it makes you happy. I have never consciously decided to take up collecting a particular type of item but have just gradually drifted in to it. In some cases I have shied away from branching into new areas of collecting as I know my limitations - banknotes/coins being an area which I have been trying to keep away from. I always have 40 or so banknotes/coins on my eBay 'watching' list but have, thus far, managed to restrict myself to the purchase of a solitary Queen Elizabeth II Nigerian three pence coin. I'm afraid of where it may lead if I once get started.

22-03-2010, 13:25   #39
Judgement Day

Another of my serious interests is ceramics collecting - but, of course, nothing too easy! I collect crested hotelware and related items such as cutlery, menus etc. I restrict myself to Irish and Manx items and they have to be from long extinct concerns or else very unusal items. I have never met another hotelware collector so I really have no idea about values but that is not driving force behind my collecting. The delightful, handpainted side plate by Alfred Meakin Ltd., from the Broadway Soda Fountain Parlor in O'Connell Street was a Christmas present - I can't imagine that much else has survived from that concern. Another oddity is the Bord na Mona desert bowl by Arklow Pottery. I discovered a large hoard of this crockery in use at the Friends Meeting House in Enniscorthy during 2005 - donated. The final picture in this trio is a soup plate from a long gone Enniscorthy hotel, The Portsmouth Arms, which was burnt down years ago. Apparently there was loads of crockery lying about in the remains of the building but mine came from the Antique Tavern where it had been on display for some years. Much badgering eventually persuaded the present owners to exchange it for a Black & White Dogs figure.

Last edited by Judgement Day; 22-03-2010 at 16:29.
Advertisement
22-03-2010, 18:03   #40
Blade

On the subject of crested hotelware, I do have a crested soap holder from a local hotel which was turned into apartments years ago. Only cause I collect items related to my town though.
24-03-2010, 16:25   #41
Anthony O Brien

As far as my collecting goes ive really stopped over the last year until last week when i started to get back into it again
i mainly collect coins and banknotes but i have bought alll sorts of different items that took my fancy over the years, ive bought some gems and alot of tat
when i was collecting i was always changing my collection selling the older stuff to make room for the newer items, you can see some of the exiting items of my collection on ebay under the name mr.systematic

i got some rare items this week, paid too much for them but i got three very nice and rare coins a 1848 english shilling with a mint error, a youghal farthing and a cork farthing
i will put up some pictures of them soon, can i just copy and paste pictures on here or do i have to use some other method? never put up a picture here before
24-03-2010, 16:50   #42
Judgement Day

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anthony O Brien View Post
i will put up some pictures of them soon, can i just copy and paste pictures on here or do i have to use some other method? never put up a picture here before
You are best to use one of the FREE picture hosting services such as Imageshack: http://imageshack.us/ which you upload your photos to - very straightforward once you get used to it. Just remember not to delete pictures on imageshack which you have posted on Boards.ie or they will also disappear here. Hope you understand my poor explanation. Will be checking out your eBay listings later.
24-03-2010, 17:35   #43
Anthony O Brien

thanks ill give it a go later
the stuff ive on ebay at the moment is not very exciting mainly common items
25-03-2010, 14:31   #44
Judgement Day

Come on - lets have some more of you come clean on your collecting habits! In the meantime another of my weaknesses is for kitchenalia and a few of my favourites are pictured below. The rolling pin was purchased on eBay a couple of years ago and cost me about £30.00 - despite its rarity due to its fine condition, I use it at least once a week - carefully! The Horlicks mixing measure was bought for very little at the Un-Yoke Market in Wexford and also sees regular use; the Tongue plate cost a small fortune in an Isle of Man antiques shop ten years ago and is used for display purposes only.
The two mechanical devices - the "Beatrice" mincer was bought on eBay for £25, and is in good working order, and identical to one that I grew up with at my Grannys' and that she used right into the 1980s. No built-in obsolescence there! The other machine is again identical to one that I grew up with and is used for making breadcrumbs, and I picked it up for €10 at the Blackrock Market a couple of years ago.
Finally, the Millers guide is a valuable addition and gives details of the age of many gadgets and, more importantly, their purpose which is not always obvious!

26-03-2010, 22:05   #45
Wild_Dogger

A nice little find of mine , was in one job lot many years ago .
I have been buying on a hunch if something is unusual or quirky.......
I found this amongst a pile of old eastern pots etc at an auction .

Its African , 17th century from Ghana .
A real early piece of tribal art !!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg kuduo1.jpg (53.1 KB, 66 views)
File Type: jpg kuduobottom.jpg (55.0 KB, 46 views)
File Type: jpg goodcatlogdetail.jpg (58.5 KB, 43 views)

Last edited by Wild_Dogger; 27-03-2010 at 20:19.
(2) thanks from:

Quick Reply
Bold
Italic
Underline

Insert Image
Wrap [QUOTE] tags around selected text

Decrease Size
Increase Size
Please sign up or log in to join the discussion