Boards.ie uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Click here to find out more x

24-02-2010, 21:09   #1
MilanPan!c

I a currently installing the new Abbey Road drums!

Can not wait!

The reviews have been spectacular.... but man o' man... 6GB... whew!

Anybody else got these yet?

http://www.native-instruments.com/#/...oad-60s-drums/

the site demos are always ass.. but even they sound allllright.

More very cool info with a video:

http://www.musicradar.com/news/tech/...s-drums-234332

Quote:
To cover both classic and contemporary sound aesthetics, users can choose between "vintage" and "modern" microphone setups, and select separate "tea towel" samples for an even more distinctive, punchier sound. A special room microphone configuration was used to fully capture the outstanding acoustic room sound of Abbey Road's famous Studio Two, with the ambience individually adjustable for each instrument.
Some of the gear used:

Quote:
Classic AKG, Neumann and STC microphones from the studios' famed microphone collection, the exclusive REDD.17 and EMI TG mixing desks and a valve-based Studer tape machine
---

Why can't I edit the title

Last edited by MilanPan!c; 24-02-2010 at 21:16.
Advertisement
25-02-2010, 00:05   #2
petermaher

Quote:
Originally Posted by MilanPan!c View Post
Can not wait!

The reviews have been spectacular.... but man o' man... 6GB... whew!

Anybody else got these yet?
6gb??? you lucky f**ker, I just finished installing east west quantum leap pianos 268GB!! and it's not great!!!
25-02-2010, 00:29   #3
MilanPan!c

Quote:
Originally Posted by petermaher View Post
6gb??? you lucky f**ker, I just finished installing east west quantum leap pianos 268GB!! and it's not great!!!
Holy ****e!

I actually really like the newest NI Akoustik Piano... 28GB....

Though I can't vouch for it as a purely solo instrument (haven't really tried), but as part of a bigger recording it's pretty amazing!

I should add... it stores the files compressed, when you load it kit it uncompresses THEN loads... so the actual uncompressed sample size is like 14GB or something.

The room sounds divine!
25-02-2010, 10:12   #4
PaulBrewer

Quote:
Ah Head ?
25-02-2010, 13:13   #5
petermaher

Quote:
Originally Posted by PaulBrewer View Post
Ah Head ?
Well installing 268gb is a serious pain in the swiss!! And then having to update it to the latest version.

It's seriously unstable(at first). I'm going to have to really look into matching the set-up regarding voice count, buffer size etc.

As a stand alone application it seems ok but when opened as a plugin it's not at all happy when the buffer size is below 1024. This is on an 8 core mac pro with 9gb ram. I'm sure it's just a matter of adjusting things like voice count, buffer size within the play engine itself etc.... but it's a pain to have to figure it out.

Regarding the sounds, it's amazingly real and all that, far better than any synth i've tried(motif, roland Vpiano, nord stage). The problem is there's huge sub rumble on the room mic's as the sound dies away. When you play a lot of sustained notes the hiss builds up from each sample and it's pretty noisy. If you haven't got the voice count or the buffer size right there are lots of pops and clicks and dropped notes. That can be sorted but the hiss and rumble can't. As a sound within a mix it'll be great but as a solo jo i'd be saving up for the real thing.

This is all just my opinion, don't shoot the piano player!
Advertisement
25-02-2010, 17:03   #6
eoin5

Quote:
Did you try the gold edition first?
25-02-2010, 17:11   #7
petermaher

Quote:
Originally Posted by eoin5 View Post
Did you try the gold edition first?
I didn't. Haven't even read into what the gold edition is about.
25-02-2010, 19:19   #8
tubedude

That looks awesome, I like the compactness of it. 14 gigs is handy. I'd fancy that at only €99. But wouldn't be interested in buying kontakt with it's huge library. I was checking out the site, what's the story with the free kontakt player?
01-03-2010, 17:28   #9
Seamonster

Hi MilanPan RE Abbey Road Drums

Hey there, how is it going with Abbey Road drums? I am buying a new mac next week and plan on installing Komplete 6 as well as Abbey Road Drums. I heard the demo on the site and it sounds incredible to be honest. Do you have Komplete? Apparently you can install the Kontact free player and use that to play the sounds? Any info would be great, don´t know anyone who using it yet..........thanks in advance!!
Advertisement
01-03-2010, 18:18   #10
MilanPan!c

Quote:
Originally Posted by Seamonster View Post
Hey there, how is it going with Abbey Road drums? I am buying a new mac next week and plan on installing Komplete 6 as well as Abbey Road Drums. I heard the demo on the site and it sounds incredible to be honest. Do you have Komplete? Apparently you can install the Kontact free player and use that to play the sounds? Any info would be great, don´t know anyone who using it yet..........thanks in advance!!
Ok, so here's the skinny and it's kind of mixed.

The sound is Spectacular!!! But

the drums are not mapped to GM. So it's very difficult to throw them into a project to a/b etc.

That being said, they are really amazing sounding. Kinda special!

I don't have Komplete but think I have all the components, more or less. I don't really use Reaktor though. But I do use the acoustic pianos an guitar rig. A lot!

All I can say is, for price, passing up the AR drums would be a bad choice. IMO of couse.
01-03-2010, 21:39   #11
tubedude

Just purchased this yesterday, in the process of downloading the files at the moment.
Got the free kontakt player too, which is a good idea to give away, if you're not interested in a big fcuk off sound library that comes with Kontakt. A drummer friend owns the same model Ludwig as in this, so hopefully it sounds as good.
01-03-2010, 22:37   #12
MilanPan!c

Quote:
Originally Posted by tubedude View Post
Just purchased this yesterday, in the process of downloading the files at the moment.
Got the free kontakt player too, which is a good idea to give away, if you're not interested in a big fcuk off sound library that comes with Kontakt. A drummer friend owns the same model Ludwig as in this, so hopefully it sounds as good.
Well, the thing about these samples that's amazing is the room sound... And of course all the customisable elements and the quality of the recording of the samples. And the samples.

But the room sounds awesomely different and useable.
02-03-2010, 11:08   #13
Seamonster

Abbey Road

Hey Milan, that's great advice! As I can imagine, the sound / ambience of the kit as incredible. A brief history of my set up - used AKAI's for years with Cubase on a manky PC but a few years ago got a small Powerbook and Ableton 6. I compose for a living so have recently decided to get the new Imac 27". What do you mean regarding the GM thing? Does that depend on the sequencer you are using? I was hoping to keep using Ableton, I'm not sure if you use Ableton but there is a application called 'Impulse' which is well cool. I was hoping to use that by just importing the hits etc. into Ableton. Is this even possible????

I have been looking with lustful eyes at the Komplete package, but because I am forking out a bit for the Mac I will have to wait for the full package. What I might do is for the moment just download the free Kontakt Player thingy and just purchase Abbey Road and hopefully use it with Ableton, maybe try and rewire it or something? I'm sorry for asking loads of questions but I am quite new to Native Instruments stuff and you obviously know your stuff!

I had originally thought of just buying Kontakt 4 but I could really use Guitar Rig, that unfortunately only comes on its own or with Komplete. Then I thought of just downloading the free player and buying what I need individually (Choir, Guitar Rig, Orchestra, Abbey Road....) but that would probably cost more than Komplete!

So maybe for the moment, just get free player and Abbey Road......

Again, thanks for the help, its brilliant.
02-03-2010, 11:12   #14
Seamonster

Tubedude...

Quote:
Originally Posted by tubedude View Post
Hey, it seems yerself and MilanPanic seem to know quite a bit about this....I see you downloaded the free player, just a question - do you use this as a standalone unit or are you rewiring it with a sequencer? As you can from my message to MilanP I use Ableton and would love to use Abbey Road with it. Do you reckon that's possible?

Do you have any other Native Instrument packages or just Abbey Road?

Whatever happens, I will defo buy it, astounding drum sounds!

Thanks a million.
02-03-2010, 14:48   #15
MilanPan!c

Quote:
Originally Posted by Seamonster View Post
Hey Milan, that's great advice! As I can imagine, the sound / ambience of the kit as incredible. A brief history of my set up - used AKAI's for years with Cubase on a manky PC but a few years ago got a small Powerbook and Ableton 6. I compose for a living so have recently decided to get the new Imac 27". What do you mean regarding the GM thing? Does that depend on the sequencer you are using? I was hoping to keep using Ableton, I'm not sure if you use Ableton but there is a application called 'Impulse' which is well cool. I was hoping to use that by just importing the hits etc. into Ableton. Is this even possible????

I have been looking with lustful eyes at the Komplete package, but because I am forking out a bit for the Mac I will have to wait for the full package. What I might do is for the moment just download the free Kontakt Player thingy and just purchase Abbey Road and hopefully use it with Ableton, maybe try and rewire it or something? I'm sorry for asking loads of questions but I am quite new to Native Instruments stuff and you obviously know your stuff!

I had originally thought of just buying Kontakt 4 but I could really use Guitar Rig, that unfortunately only comes on its own or with Komplete. Then I thought of just downloading the free player and buying what I need individually (Choir, Guitar Rig, Orchestra, Abbey Road....) but that would probably cost more than Komplete!

So maybe for the moment, just get free player and Abbey Road......

Again, thanks for the help, its brilliant.
Hey man, no worries about questions; I'll answer what I can.

First you CAN use Kontakt independently from from anything else (with a MIDI interface ... Keyboard/drums/etc.).

I have never done it personally, but it'll def work.

Most people use it with a sequencer though, which is what I do. To be clear I use a DAW that has a buil. In sequencer which I use to drive Kontakt.

Now, the samples that come with AR are in not individual samples on your machine. NI has developed a new bespoke compression which is pretty extreme. Uncompressed there's 14GB, but on disk it's only 6GB.

To further complicate matters, the samples are stored in several chunks which are 1.something GB.

So not only are they stored in a weird format, but in giant container files.

Pretty much only playable with Kontakt in other words.

But Kontakt is hot ****!

You can really control the kit in a huge number of ways. In many cases you'll load a kit to find 10 different approaches to a single snare and mutiple snares. Plus each drum is recorded with 30 velocity levels. And they're extremely playable and dynamic.

You can basically just open Kontakt in Ableton, then either manually write (with a mouse) or record (with a MIDI interface) your drums/whatever.

Very simple.

Kontakt has a built in mixer for the kits so if you want a super loud snare, panned left, go crazy.

Quick Reply
Bold
Italic
Underline

Insert Image
Wrap [QUOTE] tags around selected text

Decrease Size
Increase Size
Please sign up or log in to join the discussion