Boards.ie uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Click here to find out more x

20-02-2010, 16:21   #1
johndoc

Ferguson Ariva HD Combo

Very limited info out there for this box. Any users views or contributions appreciated……. Just got one and getting to know my way around.

From .www.ferguson-digital.eu

Quote:
  • Receives satellite and terrestrial High Definition channels
  • USB PVR function with TimeShift
  • PAL upscaling up to 720p & 1080i resolution
  • Dolby Digital surround audio
  • Card reader for pay TV and 2 Common Interfaces
  • Supports timers
  • Favorite channel groups, TV and radio
  • Electronic Program Guide (EPG)
  • QuickFind function
  • Supports Teletext and Subtitles
  • Multilanguage menu (OSD)
  • Pre-programmed channel list
  • DiSEqC 1.0 and USALS support
  • MPEG-2, MPEG-4, MPEG-4 AVC/H.264 support
  • Fully compliant with DVB-T, DVB-S and DVB-S2
  • Alphanumeric VFD display (8 characters)
  • Software upgrade via USB port
  • High Definition menu (HD OSD)
  • Audio files player
  • Photo viewer

Connectors:
  • HDMI with HDCP
  • USB 2.0
  • Component (Y, Pb, Pr)
  • 2x SCART
  • CVBS - RCA (Cinch) video
  • 2x RCA (Cinch) analog audio
  • Optical digital audio output TOSLINK

Advertisement
20-02-2010, 16:22   #2
johndoc

User manual here

http://www.ferguson-digital.eu/en/do...ileinfo&id=508

20-02-2010, 16:28   #3
johndoc

First problem was getting the external HDD working. Used a Western digital mybook essential. The Ferguson didn't like the autorun and virtual drive which come pre-loaded on the HDD. A fix is available from the WD site

http://www.wdc.com/wdproducts/update...twareutilities
20-02-2010, 16:32   #4
johndoc

A bit more relevant to the receiver itself...

When I got the HDD sorted (and into FAT32 - anything else might get recognised but won't work), there was a problem with the audio on playback skipping although the video was fine.
AV settings need to be adjusted to 1080i 50hz instead of the default 60hz.

This box does have a 7 day epg for the irish DTT channels, now and next for DVS.
01-03-2010, 11:48   #5
timmydel1

Ferguson Ariva HD Combo

Hi johndoc,
I was looking at getting this receiver myself.Can I ask how you are getting on with it ?
Advertisement
01-03-2010, 15:35   #6
gtg60

And how much you paid for it? As I've googled a bit and the price I'm getting from the usual online shops seems to be a lot more than what I was expecting.

And the usual question when it comes to these sort of boxes, can you record from the DTT tuner and watch something on the DVB-S tuner?
03-03-2010, 20:17   #7
johndoc

Quote:
Originally Posted by timmydel1 View Post
Hi johndoc,
I was looking at getting this receiver myself.Can I ask how you are getting on with it ?
Early days but not bad. I installed it in the folks house and I'm only there every couple of weeks or three.

One thing is the text in the OSD is very small, menu and EPG. Emailed ferguson tech dept - they reckon an increase in font size is in the pipeline with a future firmware upgrade. Wait and see what happens there.
03-03-2010, 20:23   #8
johndoc

Quote:
Originally Posted by gtg60 View Post
And how much you paid for it? As I've googled a bit and the price I'm getting from the usual online shops seems to be a lot more than what I was expecting.
I got it from Tony at satellite.ie
He does 10% off for boardies if you click his sig.

Quote:
Originally Posted by gtg60 View Post
And the usual question when it comes to these sort of boxes, can you record from the DTT tuner and watch something on the DVB-S tuner?
Yep, no problem.

You can;
Record DVB-S, watch DVB-T
Record DVB-T, watch DVB-S
Record DVB-T, watch another DVB-T

No facility to watch one DVB-S, record another DVB-S

My thinking was that I could get two and kit two rooms for less than a premium plus and if I need to record a sat channels and watch at the same time, then just record in the other room.

Last edited by johndoc; 03-03-2010 at 20:25.
Thanks from:
04-03-2010, 15:49   #9
timmydel1

Thanks for the update.Looks like Tony at satellite.ie has run out of stock for now.Gone from site.
Advertisement
04-03-2010, 23:07   #10
rurs

Those recording features seem very interesting, a cut above the other budget boxes.
I had a look through the manual, and it only mentions viewing on the same transponder while recording. Was the watch one, record another added in a firmware update?
How easy is it to switch between tuners while you're recording, say from satellite to terrestrial, or vice versa, without messing up your recording?

One other thing, how well does it fill up the EPG, with the mix of 7 day and now&next? Do you get a grid type view with now&next for everything?

One more other thing , what drive are you using for recording? I'll probably need to get one whichever combo box I eventually get...

Sorry for all the Qs, just trying to get an idea of what to expect before handing over the readies...
08-03-2010, 07:00   #11
tooler1

great box

Quote:
Originally Posted by johndoc View Post
Very limited info out there for this box. Any users views or contributions appreciated……. Just got one and getting to know my way around.

From .www.ferguson-digital.eu

bought this unit last week from satellite.ie
so far i am very pleased wit it,does everything for me
i have hotbird and astra plus local digital reception
the hd quality is superb
only thing is it does not play movies via the usb port but i believe
there may be a firmware update for same, all in all a great buy
There is a new firmware update dated 2/3/2010
on the ferguson site
link http://www.ferguson-digital.eu/en/do...Ariva-HDcombo/

Last edited by tooler1; 08-03-2010 at 16:39.
Thanks from:
10-03-2010, 21:53   #12
rurs

Dropped into freesat.ie in Fairview and picked one up a few days ago.
Generally happy with it, but there are a couple of annoying bugs in the scheduling of recordings, I wonder does anyone else have these problems?
Working from the EPG, DTT can be scheduled fine, but try and do it from the now or next on Sat, and you get either a load of zeroes, if it's the first schedule you've done since turning on, or else if you've scheduled something from DTT, that info is used.
Also, trying to set up a weekly recording doesn't work unless you do it on the day of the week you want it to happen, otherwise it starts on the same day as you entered it.
I'm using the latest firmware, and a Buffalo MiniStation 320gb (model HD-PE320U2/BK-EU).

On the plus side, having access to either tuner while recording is a great feature, I'm surprised more isn't made of it. If you choose your BBC/ITV regions carefully, there's still alot of choice even when recording Sat.

In answer to my own questions earlier in the thread, you can switch seemlessly between whatever is available while recording, or else a warning pops up if you try and access something that's not available.

The EPG is divided into three sections, a list of channels top left, a preview window top right, and the actual info along the bottom. You do have to change channel to see what's on it, but you'd have to do that anyway with the satellite Now/Next on a grid, so it's actually quite usable.

I agree that the font is on the small side, does anyone know how often on average they release a new firmware? I've written to them with the scheduling bugs, I hope they fix them, it spoils an otherwise decent machine.
17-03-2010, 18:14   #13
rurs

Channel Editor

Beta channel editor posted on Ferguson site.
Only had a quick look, you need to load the .usb file from usb drive, then load .cfg file which is included in zip.
Had a quick go at ITV HD, but no luck yet. It renamed the channel, but it was still showing up in radio list. The channel list saved from the editor had messed up all my favourites too, so had to restore the previous list.
Good to see development, I hope they sort the schedule bugs I mentioned soon. Looking at the history of firmware releases, they seem to be every 4-6 weeks, so a bit more waiting is in store...
24-03-2010, 18:00   #14
Paul Kiernan

Can anyone please answer the following questions on this box:

1. Can you upload recorded programs to your PC. If so, what format are they (e.g. .TS)?
2. Will it work with a White Sky FreeSatfromSky card?

Thanks, Paul
24-03-2010, 18:40   #15
rurs

Files are .TRP, split into 2gb chunks, labelled as DATA01, DATA02 etc.
There is also a .DAT file, an .IFO, and an .IDX in the folder.
Media player classic has no trouble playing the mpeg2 satellite recordings, however I'm getting only sound from mpeg4 DTT, a codec issue I presume, but I haven't bothered trying to sort it, as it's not something I need to do at present.

It doesn't seem to keep any subtitles, or alternative audio tracks in the recording.

Can't help with the Sky card, not something I've used. If it did work,would you need to keep it alive in a Sky box?

Quick Reply
Bold
Italic
Underline

Insert Image
Wrap [QUOTE] tags around selected text

Decrease Size
Increase Size
Please sign up or log in to join the discussion