Boards.ie uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Click here to find out more x

18-02-2010, 12:01   #1
istabrac77

Rathfarnham Shopping Centre

Hello Boardsies

Knowing how bad Rathfarnham Shopping Centre is to the likes of Dundrum, and to a lesser extent Nutgrove.

Is there any plans to redevelop it? There was rumours a few years ago but nothing has seemed to come of it.

Does anyone know if these rumours were completely shelved or are they just being put on hold until the recession is over?

Thanks
Advertisement
18-02-2010, 19:26   #2
Red Alert
Hosted Moderator

HMod: LaTeX
Unless I'm mistaken Rathfarnham wasn't in quite the sorry state Dundrum was, even though it was the same basic design: i.e. outdoor with a covered-in upstairs.
18-02-2010, 22:59   #3
calex71

Only reason I go over there is it was handy for tesco if i was passing.

Dirty kip it is too that tesco.
18-02-2010, 23:24   #4
juke

No plans I know of.
Shame, it's so badly designed.
Only reason I go is for the butchers. Any time I go it's usually a Saturday morning, and OH is dragged along (why would I put myself through the experience alone and we usually have a row )
Tesco there is a kip, and parking a disaster.
19-02-2010, 23:21   #5
Rb
Banned

Send a message via MSN to Rb Send a message via Skype™ to Rb
It has a lot of potential as a local amenity but is in desperate need of redevelopment.

However, most of the developers shouldn't be given a fúcking cent until they pay off what they owe, unfortunately.
Advertisement
23-02-2010, 11:31   #6
Clanket
Closed Account

Didnt they try to get planning permission for a massive overhaul but failed. Think they wanted to put an underground car park in and build more shops etc on the existing car park.

I think the existing shops didnt want the development. Think it failed because they couldnt put an adequate construction and traffic management plan together but I could be wrong on that.

I like it the way it is though it does badly affect the traffic on the roads around it, especially butterfield avenue. I avoid the area unless Im specifically going to the shopping centre (or the orchard)
23-02-2010, 11:35   #7
Cookie_Monster

Send a message via Skype™ to Cookie_Monster
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alofthedunnes View Post
Didnt they try to get planning permission for a massive overhaul but failed. Think they wanted to put an underground car park in and build more shops etc on the existing car park.

I think the existing shops didnt want the development. Think it failed because they couldnt put an adequate construction and traffic management plan together but I could be wrong on that.
sounds exactly the same as Stillorgan
23-02-2010, 13:45   #8
farfromthegrave

I remember Rathfarnham Shopping Centre was a great little place when we were kids, I loved the upstairs to it. Stillorgan and Nutgrove are the same ways now, total kips...

Dundrum Town Centre kinda blew them out of the water, it's a shame really...

They have been trying to re-develop Nutgrove a good bit, perhaps they will do the same with Rathfarnham
23-02-2010, 13:53   #9
Clanket
Closed Account

Why does everyone think Rathfarnham is a kip?

It's far from it.
Advertisement
23-02-2010, 15:34   #10
rejkin

I live up the road from it,its not a kip its just very limited in what shops it has. There is not enough room for any more shops there and I find it unnecessary for a mass overhaul of the centre since I doubt the shops would make enough money to make it feasible and the shops it has now are ideal for locals to get shopping done. I could never see that place as an actual shopping centre like dundrum.
26-02-2010, 21:30   #11
Duffy7

I'd have to agree, I do the weekly shop their or Nutgrove (depending if I've to do an Aldi or Lidl run). The Tesco is fine and its handy having Pennys there too.
The only problem it has is the lack of lift to the upstairs, so if you've a kid in a buggy its a nightmare to go to the bookshop or cafe.
26-02-2010, 21:32   #12
bluewolf
being awesome

Send a message via MSN to bluewolf
I like the tesco there I do my shopping there, and having a penneys is indeed handy
26-02-2010, 22:58   #13
delta_bravo

They really need to sort the carpark out. Its a disaster

Quick Reply
Bold
Italic
Underline

Insert Image
Wrap [QUOTE] tags around selected text

Decrease Size
Increase Size
Please sign up or log in to join the discussion