Boards.ie uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Click here to find out more x

18-06-2010, 15:22   #241
anxious?

Quote:
Originally Posted by phi3 View Post
I think i better say this in this thread coz i don't think people without anxiety would understand.
It looks like my job is going to change a bit. I'm going to have to start being involved with customers. Basically phoning them and stuff. Which mightn't sound like a big thing, but to me it's huge. I don't know if i'll be able to do it. I'm not bad at my job at the moment and it involves very little interaction which suits me fine. But this is a disatrer. I can't tell my boss because there's no way he'd undersatnd. He makes hundreds of phone calls a day and wouldn't think twice about it. I don't think there's anything i can do about it. It's going to make me dread coming into work every day. Help.

First of all, you will probably adapt to that situation quicker than you'd think. Also, you ahve to identify your primary fear. Will you mess up with something you say on the phone? Will you get very anxious on the phone and feel the need to 'flee'? I think that you have to learn to accept that you might feel anxious from time to time, but that they won't notice and you will take control as much as you can.

get to a CBT cousellor if you can. I have had this problem my whole life but it only really came ahead this year (it used to be an acute thing- i was never shy and always did well in school, but i was a constant worrier! this escalated into full blown GAD and now I'm in therapy and it's the BEST thing for anxiety - don't go to any quack counselor, go to a speicifally trained CBT professional. It will take a good few sessions, but it will work!)

Advertisement
18-06-2010, 21:22   #242
Odysseus

Quote:
I think i better say this in this thread coz i don't think people without anxiety would understand.
It looks like my job is going to change a bit. I'm going to have to start being involved with customers. Basically phoning them and stuff. Which mightn't sound like a big thing, but to me it's huge. I don't know if i'll be able to do it. I'm not bad at my job at the moment and it involves very little interaction which suits me fine. But this is a disatrer. I can't tell my boss because there's no way he'd undersatnd. He makes hundreds of phone calls a day and wouldn't think twice about it. I don't think there's anything i can do about it. It's going to make me dread coming into work every day. Help.
I'm not being funny here and believe me I do understand how big a deal this can be for people. Most people experience some form of anxiety at some level at various stages through their lives. I'm a psychotherapist and friends of mine who are also therapists often get anxious before public speaking for example. Anxiety is part of the human condition, sadly it does have more of a profound effect on some as oppossed to others.

Now your never know maybe your boss is a pr!ck, but also maybe he would understand that it may be difficult for you to do this aspect of your job. Clearly you will have a better sense of him than any of use here, in reality as oppossed to your head, how do you think he would react if you spoke to him about it? I'm not asking you to answer it here, but to think on it yourself.

Some people can be very understanding about issues like this, for all you know your boss could be in therapy. A lot of people who appear to be very assertive and happy actually are not, you never really know what is going on in their lives, or they may have experience of it with a family member.

As I said you don't know and maybe it would not go down too well if you brought the topic up, you will know best. All I'm saying is it may not be a big of an issue with him as you think.

I remember my first year working in a rehab clinic I was terriffied at times, having to call various doctors and psychiatrists, often it showed in my voice; its like my vocal cords thighten when I'm anxious. It can still happen, it happens to a lot of people, but there are options. You just have to find one that works for you.
19-06-2010, 20:50   #243
phi3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Odysseus View Post
I'm not being funny here and believe me I do understand how big a deal this can be for people. Most people experience some form of anxiety at some level at various stages through their lives. I'm a psychotherapist and friends of mine who are also therapists often get anxious before public speaking for example. Anxiety is part of the human condition, sadly it does have more of a profound effect on some as oppossed to others.

Now your never know maybe your boss is a pr!ck, but also maybe he would understand that it may be difficult for you to do this aspect of your job. Clearly you will have a better sense of him than any of use here, in reality as oppossed to your head, how do you think he would react if you spoke to him about it? I'm not asking you to answer it here, but to think on it yourself.

Some people can be very understanding about issues like this, for all you know your boss could be in therapy. A lot of people who appear to be very assertive and happy actually are not, you never really know what is going on in their lives, or they may have experience of it with a family member.

As I said you don't know and maybe it would not go down too well if you brought the topic up, you will know best. All I'm saying is it may not be a big of an issue with him as you think.

I remember my first year working in a rehab clinic I was terriffied at times, having to call various doctors and psychiatrists, often it showed in my voice; its like my vocal cords thighten when I'm anxious. It can still happen, it happens to a lot of people, but there are options. You just have to find one that works for you.
Not that he's not a decent person but i wouldn't be able to tell anyone that
19-06-2010, 20:54   #244
C_Dawg

Quote:
It looks like my job is going to change a bit. I'm going to have to start being involved with customers. Basically phoning them and stuff. Which mightn't sound like a big thing, but to me it's huge.
I can relate because this is exactly what happened to me in work and unfortunately I had to throw in the towel as I couldn't face it. Felt like it was the end of the world for me. Hope ya get through it ok
Thanks from:
19-06-2010, 22:27   #245
phi3

Quote:
Originally Posted by C_Dawg View Post
I can relate because this is exactly what happened to me in work and unfortunately I had to throw in the towel as I couldn't face it. Felt like it was the end of the world for me. Hope ya get through it ok
Thanks. Dunno what i'm gonna do. I was getting on pretty ok i this job so i don't want it all to go wrong. Have to wait and see how it goes i guess.
Advertisement
22-06-2010, 15:25   #246
newman10

zimoclone

Hi

Just found this thread and am looking for any opinion on zimoclone. My Doctor prescribed it to help me sleep due to extreme stress. Blood Pressure is up but managable.

Big problem is I feel like a zombie and have a feeling that zimoclone is causing depression and my brain/mind to go places that it has never gone before. Not taking it tonight and going to Doctor in the morning
22-06-2010, 15:33   #247
Novella

Send a message via Skype™ to Novella
Quote:
Originally Posted by newman10 View Post
Hi

Just found this thread and am looking for any opinion on zimoclone. My Doctor prescribed it to help me sleep due to extreme stress. Blood Pressure is up but managable.

Big problem is I feel like a zombie and have a feeling that zimoclone is causing depression and my brain/mind to go places that it has never gone before. Not taking it tonight and going to Doctor in the morning
Are you talking about Zopiclone? In the UK it is called Zimovane. 'Cause if that's what you're talking about, I take it.

I can't say it has ever caused me to feel badly though. However, I do take it along side an anti-depressant and insomnia was always a huge problem for me so it has helped me quite a bit in that line.

You should definitely go back to your GP though, because medications can cause different side effects in people so while I (or others) may have taken it with no adverse reaction, the same cannot be assumed for you.

There are plenty of other sleeping pills available which your doctor could prescribe for you, if needs be, so don't worry. Take it easy, hope you're doing okay.

EDIT : Just had a Google and saw it is also called Zimoclone in Ireland, so yeah, we are talking about the same thing!

Last edited by Novella; 22-06-2010 at 15:38.
Thanks from:
22-06-2010, 22:54   #248
Delicate_Dlite

Newbie!

Hi,
I'm new here, I have anxiety/depression, I've had both since primary school, but I never had it treated until it started to affect my academic work the year before last.

Basically my anxiety got so bad that I screwed my 3rd yr in Uni, on a degree I loved and then took last year off. Looking into going back, but well, talking to people about why I screwed up/took the year, makes me anxious, so it's a bit of a vicious circle right now.

I've been under a doc's & therapist's care for about a year now, 6 months with CBT, and I'm on Lexa.
23-06-2010, 08:03   #249
phi3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Delicate_Dlite View Post
Hi,
I'm new here, I have anxiety/depression, I've had both since primary school, but I never had it treated until it started to affect my academic work the year before last.

Basically my anxiety got so bad that I screwed my 3rd yr in Uni, on a degree I loved and then took last year off. Looking into going back, but well, talking to people about why I screwed up/took the year, makes me anxious, so it's a bit of a vicious circle right now.

I've been under a doc's & therapist's care for about a year now, 6 months with CBT, and I'm on Lexa.
Well done on going to the doctor. Good luck with getting back to college.
Advertisement
23-06-2010, 14:15   #250
Delicate_Dlite

Thanks phi3, fingers crossed!
23-06-2010, 20:49   #251
phi3

I think i'd rather be dead than feel like this anymore.
23-06-2010, 21:00   #252
edellc
Closed Account

I'm a nervous wreck just got a letter from illness benefit ppl who want me to go in for interview in July
I've been on IB since last aug down to bullying in my work by owner/manager and sales rep they also tried to sack me in december...doctor put me on lexapro got up to 80mg at one stage then found out i was pregnant in december and was happy but terrified-did this child need an unstable mess as a mam, felt sorry for my partner dealing with someone who he just didnt know anymore kept telling him he would be better off without me but he wouldnt leave
anyway had to come off anti depressants blessing really as couldnt afford 80euro a month for them begged doctor to send me to see a councillor but she wouldnt so ended up having to deal with everything once i came off lexapro
now IB want me in for interview regarding payment there is no way i am ever going back to that job ever...in fact i have a solicitor who is taking a case for bullying and harassment only problem now is what happens if they say that i am fit to go back, what happens if they stop my payments i have 7 weeks till baby is born there is no way i can find work ...does anyone know what happens i feel guilty enough being pregnant and not working my poor baby will be a pauper but if they take the benefit away we'll be homeless
23-06-2010, 21:07   #253
Novella

Send a message via Skype™ to Novella
Quote:
Hey, I know how bad things can get, and I know that me saying "Oh, things will get better" isn't gonna help, but do hang on in there. I know exactly what you're feeling. Don't give up. If you ever just need someone to listen to you, I'm here.
Thanks from:
23-06-2010, 22:46   #254
tikkaman

Quote:

hey there,

please don't say that,

i've been going through hell this last few weeks,

if you wanna chat i'll give you my e-mail addy...

times do get tough, but you gotta battle on...

take care...
23-06-2010, 23:05   #255
bob50

Phi13

Im here also i do often feel the same

Im here to talk listen

take care Bob

Quick Reply
Bold
Italic
Underline

Insert Image