Boards.ie uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Click here to find out more x
Thread Closed  

13-02-2010, 19:46   #1
darkman2
Banned

Heavy Snow at times next week especially after midweek

Mild v Cold next week.

A complex situation next week as Low Pressure comes right down over the country from the North. Bands of showers or longer periods of rain, sleet and snow from Monday. Not snow all the time and not everywhere at the same time but I think most areas will see snow at various times next week as the airmass remains very cold. Heavy rain expected at times aswell. Not nice really. But it should not be too windy at least.

Last edited by darkman2; 13-02-2010 at 23:12.
(2) thanks from:
Advertisement
13-02-2010, 21:08   #2
thecretinhop

Im hugely confused ted! Sky news weather has a snowstorm over midlands and west of ireland on Wensday, what the hell?
13-02-2010, 21:22   #3
Pangea

Any precipation is welcomed , Getting bored now of the dry weather, let it snow then let it turn to ice sheets ,then we can call it a big freeze again.
13-02-2010, 22:47   #4
darkman2
Banned

Just to add here that snow, when it does occur, will be heavy and persistent so I would expect appreciable amounts of accumulation esspecially later in the week.
14-02-2010, 00:15   #5

The latest model runs side more with rain/sleet than snow for most of the country next week. The highest ground will see snow next week. Looking at the latest runs, it is very likely that above 200m will see snow at some point on late Tue-Friday. Chances of snow falling elsewhere are low at this point. Tomorrow's runs will paint a better picture. I notice that Met Eireann are forecasting rain showers or longer periods of rain but this is not reflective of the entire country.

By mid week, we will be in an unstable cold airflow, which at this time of the year always springs surprises.

The most memorable snowfalls are always the ones ME and others did not flag in advance.
Thanks from:
Advertisement
14-02-2010, 00:31   #6
Sleety_Rain

Quote:
Originally Posted by WolfeIRE View Post
The latest model runs side more with rain/sleet than snow for most of the country next week. The highest ground will see snow next week. Looking at the latest runs, it is very likely that above 200m will see snow at some point on late Tue-Friday. Chances of snow falling elsewhere are low at this point. Tomorrow's runs will paint a better picture. I notice that Met Eireann are forecasting rain showers or longer periods of rain but this is not reflective of the entire country.

By mid week, we will be in an unstable cold airflow, which at this time of the year always springs surprises.

The most memorable snowfalls are always the ones ME and others did not flag in advance.
Meh i wouldnt say low at all, great potential next week, many changes will occur between now and then but not far off a potentially very snowy spell of weather. Be it likely to be wet snow.

Hilly areas and mountains will get plastered at some point.

Hopefully we can drag enough cold down to get this to low levels, i am confident of temporary coverings of snow at low levels.
14-02-2010, 00:35   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Weathercheck View Post
Meh i wouldnt say low at all, great potential next week, many changes will occur between now and then but not far off a potentially very snowy spell of weather. Be it likely to be wet snow.

Hilly areas and mountains will get plastered at some point.

Hopefully we can drag enough cold down to get this to low levels, i am confident of temporary coverings of snow at low levels.
My reading was based on the current runs WC. I do share your confidence.

ps...what does meh mean?

Last edited by Sleety_Rain; 14-02-2010 at 00:41.
14-02-2010, 00:41   #8
Sleety_Rain

Quote:
Originally Posted by WolfeIRE View Post
My reading was based on the current runs WC. I do share your confidence.

ps...what does meh mean?
It is like the sound 'meh'
14-02-2010, 00:43   #9

It's ok WC

Looking at number 4 I am presuming you are a young or baby dragon
http://www.urbandictionary.com/define.php?term=Meh!! (number 4)

For a while I thought you had tourettes

By the way, weatheronlone have posted their long term outlook

http://www.weatheronline.co.uk/cgi-a...5&DAY=20100213

Last edited by WolfeIRE; 14-02-2010 at 00:49.
Advertisement
14-02-2010, 00:48   #10

The way I see it tonight there is virtually NO chance of snow below about 250m this week. We just don't get the really cold air, we're on the wrong side of marginal.
14-02-2010, 01:12   #11
pauldry

My forecast

rain or showers will spread down from the NW Sunday night. Then Monday there will be rain and drizzle in all areas. Tuesday will be slightly colder with rain and sleet on high ground. The rest of the week sees a continuation of the cold and unsettled weather with sleet at some lower levels and snow over the hills

Temps will generaly be from 3 to 5c in the North to 7 or 8c in the SW.
14-02-2010, 02:08   #12
Redsunset

And the way i see it by looking at the NAE dewpoints +48

There could be pockets of negative dewpoints wrapped up in this low that could produce heavy snow at times.Mostly rain and sleet though.

14-02-2010, 08:25   #13

National Forecast

14 February 2010 05:09

Today Frost in many areas at first, with a risk of icy patches, but the frost will clear gradually and most places will be dry and bright during the morning. However, patches of rain and drizzle in parts of the north and northwest will spread slowly southwards as the day progresses. Amounts will be very small and most of Munster and the southern half of Leinster will stay dry. Maximum temperatures 5 to 9 Celsius, in a light west to northwest or variable wind.
Tonight

Tonight, there will be further patches of rain and drizzle, mainly along Atlantic coasts. Not as cold as recent night, but there is still a risk of frost where breaks of cloud occur, mainly in parts of Munster, Leinster and east Connacht. Minimum temperatures Minus 1 to plus 4 Celsius. A few mist or fog patches also.

Tomorrow

Tomorrow, more persistent rain will spread from the north, followed by clearer weather, with scattered showers. Turing very cold later, with a risk of wintry showers on hills in the north and northwest. Max. 6 to 9 Celsius, in a moderate west to northwest wind.

Outlook

Headline : Cold and unsettled for the rest of the week. From Tuesday to Saturday, inclusive, there will be some, dry intervals, but occasional showers will occur in most areas also, especially on Tuesday and on Wednesday, when showers are likely to be most widespread. Some of the showers will be heavy and of hail, with a risk of thunder and there is also a risk of sleet or snow, mainly over mountains. It will be cold, with daytime temperatures in the range 5 to 8 Celsius and frost will be widespread at night, with a risk of icy patches. Breezy much of the time also.
14-02-2010, 10:09   #14

Thursday AM. High ground in west munster, connaught and ulster most at risk but moderate risk fo snow at lower levels at times, according to latest GFS for midweek.

Last edited by WolfeIRE; 14-02-2010 at 11:11.
Thanks from:
14-02-2010, 10:30   #15
jambofc

looks to me like a week when you're better off sticking you're head out the window and hoping,i have a feeling we will all get a nice surprise at some stage during the week.
Thanks from:
Thread Closed