Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on [email protected] for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact [email protected]

Snow risk on Wednesday

• 31-01-2010 2:57pm
    Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 8,633 ✭✭✭

Hi all,

There is a snow risk countrywide on Wednesday of this week. Currently this looks to be temporary with rain by Thursday morning but this is subject to change.

Wednesday itself will start mostly dry and frosty. Rain soon into the Southwest will gradually extend Northeastward interacting with stationary Artic air over the country. This is likely to give snow for a time across the midlands, east and north and parts of the west aswell. Amounts are not likely to be significant but they don't have to be to cause disruption.

Like I say this is subject to change but something to keep an eye on. More Later.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,234 ✭✭✭thetonynator

at least 10 snowflakes fell here this morning, it was very exciting!!!

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 8,633 ✭✭✭darkman2

at least 10 snowflakes fell here this morning, it was very exciting!!!

wow! 10 snowflakes you say? :eek::pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,693 ✭✭✭Redsunset

Is this a comedy!!!!:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,693 ✭✭✭Redsunset

Uppers look too warm for many except for Owen for a time but then again i don't really trust any model beyond 24 hrs at the moment.

10020318_3112.gif

10020318_3112.gif

10020318_3112.gif

All not lost down the road yet either as other signals suggest,the waiting game continues..........................................

GFS is somewhat colder over the Northern half of the country then the UKMO. It's a marginal situation and really it will be down to nowcasting I think. Any snow should not last too long though.

Rtavn602.png

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,150 ✭✭✭Deep Easterly

So it seems to be high ground most at risk at this stage, with the possibility of some intensity induced snow at lower levels.

Roll on next winter.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 5,524 ✭✭✭owenc

So it seems to be high ground most at risk at this stage, with the possibility of some intensity induced snow at lower levels.

Roll on next winter.

yea if the colder air is there on wwednesday why is it raining here now at 0.5c and snowing on the hills and flipping -1c! thats weird and annoying!:mad:

• Registered Users Posts: 8,498 ✭✭✭Speak Now

owenc wrote: »
    yea if the colder air is there on wwednesday why is it raining here now at 0.5c and snowing on the hills and flipping -1c! thats weird and annoying!:mad:

You're posting here long enough to know that's not at all weird.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,068 ✭✭✭Iancar29

Dont think this is anything to look forward to people, currently 4.3 degrees here in dublin, got down to -0.6 here and that was with no clouds.

If we do see anything it will either be wet snow or sleet.
    Sorry fokes.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,315 ✭✭✭sunbabe08

thank you very much for getting my hopes high for snow :mad:i live in the south. one days snow is all we got in cork. while the rest of the country gets blankets for days.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,009 ✭✭✭Tom Cruises Left Nut

sunbabe08 wrote: »
    thank you very much for getting my hopes high for snow :mad:i live in the south. one days snow is all we got in cork. while the rest of the country gets blankets for days.

Im more shocked that 7 sunbabes got there before you !! ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 32,634 ✭✭✭✭Graces7

Hyperbole.... In some cases there was almost none..

Understatement ... In some cases it was weeks..

;)

Move north maybe..
    sunbabe08 wrote: »

redsunset wrote: »
    Uppers look too warm for many except for Owen for a time but then again i don't really trust any model beyond 24 hrs at the moment.

10020318_3112.gif

10020318_3112.gif

10020318_3112.gif

All not lost down the road yet either as other signals suggest,the waiting game continues..........................................

I think its more than likely considering the meto have a warning out and it looks to be snow the whole way through for me xc weather state this so do bbc weather infact the bbc weather man said that some places in ni would see snow the whole way through and thats what the graphics showed its bound to happen too since we are so close to scotland and our right on the coast further north than troon etc which are having snow the whole way through..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,377 ✭✭✭zenno

looks that way the east looks like a good candidate for snow but not sure how long it will last, maybe a couple of hours.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,533 ✭✭✭✭nacho libre

"Rain affecting the southwestern half of the country will edge northeastwards tonight, turning to sleet or snow at times in Connaught, north Leinster and south Ulster, especially on high ground. Under clearer skies, north Ulster will have patches of freezing fog and widespread ice. Lowest temperatures will range from +7 degrees Celsius in the southwest to -3 degrees Celsius in north Ulster. Light, variable winds will become light to moderate, southeasterly later."

may it stall and stay as snow for hours!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,827 ✭✭✭pauldry

it will only turn to snow in the far north i would say. this forecast is surely FI even by met eireann standards. its 9c here at the moment. Lets see what they put in their lunchtime forecast

pauldry wrote: »
    it will only turn to snow in the far north i would say. this forecast is surely FI even by met eireann standards. its 9c here at the moment. Lets see what they put in their lunchtime forecast

well they do say it will be 6-10 degrees today.
    but yes you're probably right:(

• Registered Users Posts: 32,634 ✭✭✭✭Graces7

Over thee maybe....South Ulster again? Ah well....
    We will blow it down to you.. Rather than be greedy..

;)
    "Rain affecting the southwestern half of the country will edge northeastwards tonight, turning to sleet or snow at times in Connaught, north Leinster and south Ulster, especially on high ground. Under clearer skies, north Ulster will have patches of freezing fog and widespread ice. Lowest temperatures will range from +7 degrees Celsius in the southwest to -3 degrees Celsius in north Ulster. Light, variable winds will become light to moderate, southeasterly later."

may it stall and stay as snow for hours!

a slight change in their update:

02 February 2010 12:06

Today

Staying mostly cloudy with outbreaks of rain across Munster and the far south of Leinster. Elsewhere apart from isolated showers, it'll be mostly dry during the afternoon and evening. Highest temperatures of 7 to 10 degrees.
    Tonight

Rain in the southwest will edge northeastwards overnight, turning to sleet or snow for a time in Connaught, north Leinster and Ulster, especially on high ground. North and east Ulster will have widespread frost and ice early in the night. Lowest temperatures will range from +7 degrees Celsius in the southwest to -3 degrees in the far northeast.

unlikely, but hopefully it snows throughout.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,564 ✭✭✭Pangea

Just seen the weather outlook for this week, its looking very wintry compared to yesturdays mild outlook

Tonight

Rain in the southwest will edge northeastwards overnight, turning to sleet or snow for a time in Connaught, north Leinster and Ulster, especially on high ground. North and east Ulster will have widespread frost and ice early in the night. Lowest temperatures will range from +7 degrees Celsius in the southwest to -3 degrees in the far northeast.

Tomorrow

Tomorrow Wednesday will begin overcast with outbreaks of rain in all areas, and further snow in parts of Ulster. Clearer drier weather arriving in the southwest around midday will extend northeast to all areas during the evening. Fresh southeast winds will later veer southwest. Highest temperatures 4 to 11 degrees - coldest in the north.

Outlook

Wednesday night will be dry once any remaining rain clears northeastern counties. Winds will slacken overnight and it will turn cold; sharp to severe ground frost will develop in most areas, as will patches of freezing fog, and some icy surfaces will result. Thursday will begin dry and bright, with sunshine for a time in many areas. However, rain will arrive in southern counties by early afternoon, soon turning heavy there, and then spreading gradually north. Strengthening, southeast winds will accompany the rain and it will feel cold. The combination of heavy rain and strong onshore winds may lead to flooding in parts of the south later Thursday. However, rain will clear from the south on Thursday night, becoming confined to the northern half of the country later and then dying out by Friday afternoon. The rest of Friday will be mainly dry, bright and much less windy, apart from showers developing in the southwest and south. Temperatures will be near normal during the day but it will turn cold on Friday night, with widespread ground frost, local ice and patches of freezing fog. Saturday next will remain cold with light, east to southeast breezes but it will be dry and probably quite sunny.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 197 ✭✭snowjon

Weather warning from Met.ie:

Issued at 02 February 2010 - 13:39

Weather Warning

Applicable to the following counties:
    Donegal, Mayo, Sligo, Leitrim, Cavan, Monaghan, Roscommon & Longford.

A spell of sleet and snow will occur late tonight and for a time on Wednesday with accumulations of 3 to 6 cm possible.

Valid 0600 hours Wednesday 3rd February
    Until 1800 hours Wednesday 3rd February

http://www.met.ie/forecasts/warnings.asp

snowjon wrote: »
    Weather warning from Met.ie:

Issued at 02 February 2010 - 13:39

Weather Warning

Applicable to the following counties:
    Donegal, Mayo, Sligo, Leitrim, Cavan, Monaghan, Roscommon & Longford.

A spell of sleet and snow will occur late tonight and for a time on Wednesday with accumulations of 3 to 6 cm possible.

Valid 0600 hours Wednesday 3rd February
    Until 1800 hours Wednesday 3rd February

http://www.met.ie/forecasts/warnings.asp

Ho^% Crap!
    Nice

Pangea wrote: »
    Ho^% Crap!
    Nice
    I'm very surprised the warning lasts until 6pm tomorrow - surely any snow will have turned to rain by midday?
    I remain unconvinced that I will see snow - western parts of Ulster are probably better placed I think

snowjon wrote: »
    I'm very surprised the warning lasts until 6pm tomorrow - surely any snow will have turned to rain by midday?
    I remain unconvinced that I will see snow - western parts of Ulster are probably better placed I think

perhaps they forsee residual cold air hanging on longer in Ulster, and its pushing further south now, than they first anticipated???

To be honest ,The warnings this winter from Met eireann have not materialised, especially when they go into detail about cms of snow etc.
    Not going mentioning this to anyone , let them look out their windows in the morning and discover it for themselves :)

To be honest ,The warnings this winter from Met eireann have not materialised, especially when they go into detail about cms of snow etc.
    Not going mentioning this to anyone , let them look out their windows in the morning and discover it for themselves :)
    Yup - good plan! Every time I mention to someone it might snow - it never does:rolleyes:

Incase Owen C feels left out. :D

Risk of disruption Warning Valid
    UK regions:
    Northern Ireland
    Heavy Snow Wed 3 Feb

There is a moderate risk of severe weather affecting Northern Ireland on Wednesday.

Heavy snow on Wednesday morning will turn to rain in the afternoon. Accumulations of around 2 cm of snow are possible quite widely, locally 5 cm especially over high ground.

Issued at: 0306 Tue 2 Feb

yeah that's true enough. it rarely happens when forecast. imagine the great surprise of expecting mild weather and rain tonight only to see heavy snow fall.

is there going to be much back edge rain from this as it looks to be very heavy near the back edge then rain at the very back edge is this going to happen? note salter just went by hurray|! 1.8c now...

• Advertisement

OK the situation is that temperatures are dropping and will continue to fall over night getting close to freezing in a line roughly from Wickow to Clare Northward. Rain will move up from the Southwest early tomorrow morning hitting the cold air and the precipitation will continue to move North through the morning.

The rain will turn to snow for a time from Wicklow northward. For areas Dublin, North Wicklow (and high ground), the North Midlands and the North West snow is likely during the commuting hours tomorrow morning. It is unlikely to settle as temperatures will be just above freezing. Snow is possible in these areas up to about lunchtime give or take an hour or two.

Further North snow will reach Ulster later tomorrow morning. It should turn back to rain over most areas here aswell however it is possible it could be snow throughout the remainder of the day in the Northeast. Lying snow is more likely over Ulster.

Bare in mind this is a marginal setup. There could be more snow then forecast or less snow then forecast.

Temperatures tomorrow will range 1 to 10C. Mildest in the Southwest.

Advertisement