Boards.ie uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Click here to find out more x

29-01-2010, 15:27   #1
neil_18_

Vitamin B12 Deficiency

Ok, it's not considered an "ilness" as such, but I think people need to be made aware of how common it actually is and easily treated. You feel so much better after the injections. I heard a really bad story about a man who got sick every morning and got a patch on his shoulder which had to be removed. And in the end it was only B12 deficiency.

About Vitamin B12-deficiency anaemia

As well as causing symptoms of anaemia, a lack of vitamin B12 can also affect the nerves, and so affect the senses of touch and pain.
In adults, blood cells are made by red bone marrow, which is found inside the centre of the hips, ribs, breastbone and backbone, plus the ends of long bones such as the thigh. Red blood cells live for around 120 days before they are broken down and replaced, as part of a normal renewal process.
Vitamin B12 is a crucial ingredient in DNA, the chemical that carries genetic information for new cells. It's found in meat and animal products but not in vegetables. You need vitamin B12 to make red blood cells and for maintaining healthy nerves.

Symptoms

The symptoms of anaemia include:
  • breathlessness
  • feeling very tired
  • dizziness
  • feeling very cold all the time
  • a rapid, weak pulse
  • palpitations
  • headaches
People with vitamin B12-deficiency anaemia may also look pale or jaundiced (yellow-tinged skin and eyes).
As well as the symptoms of anaemia, vitamin B12 deficiency may cause neurological symptoms due to inflammation of the nerves (neuritis). This is called vitamin B12 neuropathy. It affects movement and sensation, especially in the legs, and causes numbness or pins and needles. It can also cause confusion, depression, poor concentration and forgetfulness.

Source : http://hcd2.bupa.co.uk/fact_sheets/h...aemia_b12.html

Do many people here have it?
Advertisement
29-01-2010, 20:30   #2
colrow

HMod: TLGH
I was diagnosed with this a couple of years ago, I have type 2 diabetes and the B12 deficiency was noticed in my routine blood tests I have, I've stopped producing Intrinsic Factor which assimilates b12 into the body through digestion, so I can't get it my tablets/food etc.

I have an injection of B12 Cocobalmin or something like that, every 2 months and take 5mg of folic acid daily.

I certainly am well aware when its getting low!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
29-01-2010, 20:38   #3
smiley girl

About 3 years ago I was feeling unwell, so my doctor did a series of tests. It turned out to be Vitamin B12 deficiency. I was given infections, 6 in 2 weeks and then more every few months. That was the end of it.

I didn't realise it was an 'illness' that recurred, or have I taken that up wrong?
30-01-2010, 10:48   #4
The_Conductor
Dinosaur Train!

Vitamin B12 is absorbed in the terminal illeum- and as such in some conditions- such as Crohn's disease, deficiency is almost universal. I get by with monthly neocytamen injections, and have minor nerve damage throughout as a result of the undiagnosed deficiency. At present I'm having big issues sourcing Neocytamen- most recently it was ordered in for in a pharmacy in Belfast (last weekend) as my pharmacist here said the two distributors are unable to source it at present.

A lot of the sympthoms you've listed above- are in common with lots of other conditions- its not really the case that you can take a shopping list of sympthoms and suggest its likely the person is suffering from B12 deficiency- and in many cases where the person is suffering from B12 deficiency- its a side-effect of something else- you really need to get a proper diagnosis rather than self-medicating........
02-02-2010, 16:28   #5
emzolita

*shiver*

I was diagnosed with B12 dfficiency, I get monthly injections, and 6monthly Iron injections. although i NEVER feel any benefit from the injections.
Im also on alot of epilepsy drugs too, so that doesn't help with tiredness, but I cant be this tired! I have to have a sleep everyday, and get at least 9hours sleep at night.

I just read there in someone elses post about B12 causing coldness, that sounds like me alright, constantly sitting on the radiator, or shivering my ass off.
Advertisement
23-02-2010, 02:03   #6
vinylqueen

Trying to source neocytamin myself. Anyone had any joy with Dublin pharmacies lately? Had low b12 for a while but it's now dropped a lot so really need to get started on the injections and all the pharmacies keep saying maybe they'll get it back available in 2 weeks, but from the sound of things I could be in for a bit of a wait!
23-02-2010, 02:29   #7
Reeni

I suffer from chronic gastritis and due to trauma to my ileum, I can no longer absorb B12 from my food. This means lifelong injections of B12. I get neo-cytamen once per month, or when I can't source this I get cytamen once per week. I administer these injections myself. I know its not for everyone but if anyone would like some info on this I'd be happy to help as I found that having control over it lessened its impact on me(especially since my doctoe was charging me €47 a pop for the injections!). I also have some permenant nerve damage which can be particularly painful when stressed. Does anyone know of any ways to lessen pain from this nerve damage?

i also noticed that in the months before diagnosis I had a variety of symptoms which I never knew were connected until recently such as white spots on my skin (on me mainly my stomach and thighs) which then flaked to expose raw skin, pain on the side of my face (turned out to be the nerve damage), eye tics, sharp pains in the palms of my hands and severe shooting pains on one side of my body. Has any one else experienced these symptoms? I only get them if I'm very low on B12 though. And of course the usual brain fog, memory loss, slurring etc etc.
23-02-2010, 19:54   #8
The_Conductor
Dinosaur Train!

I know it may not be an option for all- I got a prescription from a GP in Belfast and picked up a few boxes of Neocytamen there when I failed to get it here. I've still 2 months worths in arrears due from my local pharmacy- I've given up hope on it at this stage to be honest..... Has anyone any idea of why its impossible to get B12 all of a sudden?
24-02-2010, 22:48   #9
vinylqueen

thanks for the replies guys! all i heard was that occasionally local production stops temporarily on certain drugs, pharma company send round letters to the pharmacies/GPs to let them know and we get a bit screwed trying to find dwindling supplies... dunno how accurate that is but she did say it normally isn't a long-term thing so hopefully this is a blip!
Advertisement
03-03-2010, 19:43   #10
dazey82

I went to my doctor a few years ago because of the restlessness in my legs. I had let it go for years because I figured it wasn't serious enough for a consultation in itself. I should have done it way sooner!

He diagnosed B12 deficiency and started me on weekly injections. Now I have them every three months and even though my legs are still restless, they've improved a lot! I'm sleeping much better and I can sit still and be comfortable during flights or at the cinema!
04-03-2010, 13:38   #11
cynder

My mother has it, ive been tested and im fine.
08-03-2010, 12:57   #12
The_Conductor
Dinosaur Train!

Apparently Cytamen is back in distributors again- and can be ordered via your local pharmacy. There is still a holdup on Neocytamen- current eta being quoted is 2 weeks.

Shane
08-03-2010, 18:22   #13
katiewobbles

I just recently found out from my doctor that I had a b12 deficiency. It's because of my diet, being a vegetarian. I was faiting and getting light-headed, numb limbs and always cold but she started me on the daily cytacon tablets about three and a half weeks ago.

My problem is: I feel no improvement, in fact I think I'm worse. Are the injenctions only for those who have a condition which block b12 absorption or should I wait longer for my levels to rise (I'm going to he doc this week anyway, just wondering I anyone knows more about it)
08-03-2010, 18:25   #14
neil_18_

Quote:
Originally Posted by katiewobbles View Post
I just recently found out from my doctor that I had a b12 deficiency. It's because of my diet, being a vegetarian. I was faiting and getting light-headed, numb limbs and always cold but she started me on the daily cytacon tablets about three and a half weeks ago.

My problem is: I feel no improvement, in fact I think I'm worse. Are the injenctions only for those who have a condition which block b12 absorption or should I wait longer for my levels to rise (I'm going to he doc this week anyway, just wondering I anyone knows more about it)

I get injections because i cant absorb it, not because of my diet
08-03-2010, 18:55   #15
The_Conductor
Dinosaur Train!

Quote:
Originally Posted by neil_18_ View Post
I get injections because i cant absorb it, not because of my diet
Ditto.
You absorb vitamin B12 in your illeum. If you have a medical condition which hinders absorption- injections may be prescribed. You need to discuss this with your GP and/or consultant though.
Thanks from:

Quick Reply
Bold
Italic
Underline

Insert Image
Wrap [QUOTE] tags around selected text

Decrease Size
Increase Size
Please sign up or log in to join the discussion