Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on [email protected] for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact [email protected]

Wed 20th of january cold air vs warm air the great battle

• 17-01-2010 11:01pm
    Registered Users Posts: 139 ✭✭faktisperminute

potentialcoldspell.png
    As the colder air comes from the east and is going to meet the Atlantic system arriving from the west will probably bring some snow showers in some parts of the east of UK
    I am not even sure if its gonna reach us but there is a great potential in this "event"
    :D
    so what do you think??
    according to the GFS it looks like the milder air is gonna conquer Ireland but GFS isn't accurate at all when it comes to big changes imho we will see....

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,501 ✭✭✭zagmund

I think potentiality is a very strange word.

z

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,693 ✭✭✭Redsunset

Close but no cigar!!!!

Atlantic holds the royal flush

• Registered Users Posts: 16,533 ✭✭✭✭nacho libre

potentialcoldspell.png
    As the colder air comes from the east and is going to meet the Atlantic system arriving from the west will probably bring some snow showers in some parts of the east of UK
    I am not even sure if its gonna reach us but there is a great potentiality in this "event"
    :D
    so what do you think??

good potential for the east side of England but snow chance for us for the time being. the hope is that colder air will eventually recharge itself for another go towards the end of the month

• Registered Users Posts: 1,523 ✭✭✭jambofc

battles allready lost,atlantic dreary damp rubbish for the week

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,150 ✭✭✭Deep Easterly

This animated windstream forecast from Meteoblue shows the battle beginning to take place:

http://www.meteoblue.com/en/specials/wind-visualization/

(Click play on "Europe")

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,134 ✭✭✭✭maquiladora

Hmm, not sure I see much of an event here for us. :o
    Unless perhaps possible thunderstorm activity later in the week.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 319 ✭✭mad DIY

redsunset wrote: »
    Close but no cigar snowman!!!!

Atlantic holds the royal flush

Contextually amended :pac:

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 16,668 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gonzo

looks like mild damp wet muck for the forseeable future.

• Foreseeable at the moment is at best only 5 or 6 days.
    If the pattern continues beyond that,it does but it will only have been foreseeable in 4 or 5 days time that it might be the case in 9 days time.

I noticed Rob Mcelwee up to a few days ago was hinting that the Beasterly would be back sooner rather than later at least thats what I thought he may have been hinting at.

Looking at todays forecast I think he may have been referring to tomorrows possible snow event for central England and the hills of wales.

Anyhow-keep watching as you won't know if it's possibly coming back from any set of charts unless it appears at sub 120hrs I would think.

The cold hasn't really left poland or Germany which is something that hasn't happened much in the last decade so thats good from a cold lovers point of view as it makes it easier for the beasterly to work here if it comes!

• Registered Users Posts: 407 ✭✭AfterDusk

Tomasz Schafernaker/Aidan Power was talking about this on BBC today, but his graphic only showed warm air over Ireland. The masses will meet over the UK Midlands and may result in snowfall. So I can't see that this will have any impact on us lot over here :(

• Advertisement

• It won't.
    Bear in mind that uk forecasters enhance their excitement in their voice when they think something will happen affecting the london area up through the UK midlands ie 20 or 30 million people.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 5,524 ✭✭✭owenc

ugh does everyone forget about about up north we are forecasted 3c maxes on wednesday !!!!!!!! The south is going to get like 8c maxes which shows hopefully were this cold air is so maybe we will get some snow! note meto uk say hill snow for here....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,150 ✭✭✭Deep Easterly

owenc wrote: »
    ugh does everyone forget about about up north we are forecasted 3c maxes on wednesday !!!!!!!! The south is going to get like 8c maxes which shows hopefully were this cold air is so maybe we will get some snow! note meto uk say hill snow for here....

The brief ridge of high pressure which is beginning to extend into the North Sea will have the effect of killing off the warm front before it approaches the SW coast. Essentially, we will be under an occlusion as the frontal zone passes over tomorrow with average to slightly below average maxima. Sleety snow is quite possible on higher ground to the north and east in particular, but personally it is not something I would be overly excited about. I would rather warm rain than that rubbish.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 8,633 ✭✭✭darkman2

I did say a few days ago that Snow was concievable on Wednesday. It's far more likely now then just 6 hours ago with high ground in the North and East looking like getting snow above 400m atm. However the upgrades may continue over the next 24hrs.

Rtavn5417.png

Rtavn544.png

Maxes of 3 - 5C at lower levels will be sleety rain at best.

Longer term the UKMO looks interesting indeed later toward the weekend.

Rukm1441.gif

darkman2 wrote: »
    I did say a few days ago that Snow was concievable on Wednesday. It's far more likely now then just 6 hours ago with high ground in the North and East looking like getting snow above 400m atm. However the upgrades may continue over the next 24hrs.

Rtavn5417.png

Rtavn544.png

Maxes of 3 - 5C at lower levels will be sleety rain at best.

Longer term the UKMO looks interesting indeed later toward the weekend.

Rukm1441.gif

well my area are forecasted 2/3c maxes and most of the time we are lower than that so what if we got a 1/2c max instead would we get anything?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 8,633 ✭✭✭darkman2

well my area are forecasted 2/3c maxes and most of the time we are lower than that so what if we got a 1/2c max instead would we get anything?

Anything below 2C would probrably be snow but there are other factors aswell like dew points to be considered. Right now they are not condusive for snow at lower levels though this could change. Also 2C is not forcast anywhere atm for lower areas in Ireland on any model. But this could change. Another degree or 2 lower and your chances would be up immeasurably. Having said that even if it did snow it won't be particularly heavy or long lasting anyway.

darkman2 wrote: »
    Anything below 2C would probrably be snow but there are other factors aswell like dew points to be considered. Right now they are not condusive for snow at lower levels though this could change. Also 2C is not forcast anywhere atm for lower areas in Ireland on any model. But this could change. Another degree or 2 lower and your chances would be up immeasurably. Having said that even if it did snow it won't be particularly heavy or long lasting anyway.

well you could've went to ballykelly and seen that but now its upto 3c and it will probably be 7c by tmorrow!:mad:

• Registered Users Posts: 16,096 ✭✭✭✭Pherekydes

Gonzo wrote: »
    looks like mild damp wet muck for the forseeable future.

Summer's early this year?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,827 ✭✭✭pauldry

I dont think this mild weather is going to last unless the Lows get a grip. Some charts are showing Lows keeping to the Northwest and Highs over us. Surely a colder scenario. As the last week of January goes on this seems to be more likely but this kind of forecast was predicted a week ago for this week and look what happened.

But just saying there could be some cold weather yet. I wouldnt put away the hats n scarves yet!

• Registered Users Posts: 16,533 ✭✭✭✭nacho libre

well, according to Joe Bastardi the core of the cold stays on the continent throughout February, and while it may make brief incursions into Britain, he seems to be indicating that the maritime air pushes the colder air away fairly swiftly each time. The models, out to the end of the month, seem to be indicating the start of this possible pattern as well. They have the cold over us for a day or two but then the Atlantic sweeps through fairly quickly.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 252 ✭✭danni2

For me I would like to see a returning polar maritime setep(arctic westerly winds as I call it), I know they last only a couple of days but they seem to give a decent fall of snow over a short period of time, I remember we had this setup in Jan 2005 and March 2008 which gave me and much of Ireland a nice dumping of snow, and also what I like about this setup is much of England gets barely any snow from this.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,564 ✭✭✭Pangea

Severe frost on the way
    The weather will remain changeable and unsettled for the rest of the week, then turning drier and colder over the weekend with more significant frosts expected. Wednesday night: Cold with frost and possibly some fog in places Wednesday night especially during the early part of the night. However becoming milder overnight as cloudy, windy weather sets in with rain developing in many western and southwestern areas towards dawn. Thursday will be wet and very windy, as rain becomes widespread during the morning accompanied by southeasterly gales. The rain is likely to be heavy in many areas for a time but will clear eastwards on Thursday night with colder weather following with frost in places by Friday morning. Friday will be rather cold and bright with sunny spells but some heavy rain and hail showers also especially in western and northwestern areas. Cold overnight with a hard frost developing in many places, and some fog also. The weekend will be cold and largely dry and bright with sunny spells but sub zero temperatures at night with severe frosts%

• See attached...

• Registered Users Posts: 347 ✭✭isle of man

See attached...

if that comes off it will be cold

well we are told that we are having 2c maxes tomorrow and the meto say that the rain will turn to snow tomorrow for western areas in ni! its 5c here now and dropping

welll.... were are these cold temps it is still 5.6c here has been all day and will probably be the same tomorrow!

welll.... were are these cold temps it is still 5.6c here has been all day and will probably be the same tomorrow!

Well were is this the temp has shot up to a shorty 6c and bk is at 7.c!!! Even the easer midlands it's 5c and they are supposed to be 1c in the morning when's this cold temps coming argggg!!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,087 ✭✭✭Duiske

well we are told that we are having 2c maxes tomorrow and the meto say that the rain will turn to snow tomorrow for western areas in ni! its 5c here now and dropping
    Well were is this the temp has shot up to a shorty 6c and bk is at 7.c!!! Even the easer midlands it's 5c and they are supposed to be 1c in the morning when's this cold temps coming argggg!!!!

Your going to give yourself a stress ulcer !! :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 52 ✭✭revr

yea BBC NI goin for a period of snow earlier inland over high ground. I would be more concerned about the rain tbh over tomorrow and Thurs with floodin possible!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 139 ✭✭faktisperminute

yeah .... the cold isn't coming on Thursday or Friday but it is gonna start getting a bit colder on Saturday :D get ready for next week. :cool:

Advertisement