Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on [email protected] for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact [email protected]

Tuesday 12th - Strong winds, Heavy Rain & Surprise Snow

• 10-01-2010 11:44pm
    Registered Users Posts: 11,134 ✭✭✭✭maquiladora

Looks like we might be in for another spell of rough weather of a different kind on Tuesday with a low pressure system off the SW coast giving us gales (in parts) and lashing rain (almost everywhere)...

Met Eireann are saying :

Becoming very windy on Tuesday with gale force southeast to east winds developing. A band of precipitation will spread northeastwards during the day and Tuesday night but probably not reaching far northern regions.

Wind forecast chart for Tuesday morning :

2lb437.gif
    http://www.xcweather.co.uk

South, southeast and eastern costal areas could see sustained 80kmph winds with gusts over 100kmph. Inland gales are likely in the south/southeast/east with gusts inland of around 80kmph possible.

Along with the strong wind will come very heavy rain extending over most of the country, though further north it may still be cold enough to fall as sleet/snow.

Precipitation forecast :

knsea.png

Lovely :cool:

Comments

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 17,129 Mod ✭✭✭✭cherryghost

1st to call it rain all over the country.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,134 ✭✭✭✭maquiladora

1st to call it rain all over the country.

Could happen, but I would be surprised if some places at least on high ground in the northern half of the country didnt see some sleet/snow mixed in.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,550 ✭✭✭Min

I'm going for more snow for the hills around here.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,634 ✭✭✭✭Graces7

Here too...

All the forecasts isolate Ulster. We will it seems be the last to thaw.

Ah well.... More and more knitting is getting done..

Just wish the water would come back so I can stock the bottles again.

And that the one mile of iced road would clear; has been nearly four weeks now and I am getting very cranky!
    Min wrote: »
    I'm going for more snow for the hills around here.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,138 ✭✭✭snaps

The atlantic front is right on the SW munster coast now. Infact UKMO is picking up 1st percip from it

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,150 ✭✭✭Deep Easterly

Hirlam 00z run forecast for tomorrow morning:

102068.jpg

Rain, sleet, snow, kitchen sink. Looks a bit breezy too....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 458 ✭✭fuelinjection

Wind ? :eek:
    Cold ? :eek:
    Rain ? :eek:
    Stormy ? :eek:

January ? :eek:
    Ireland ? :eek:

Okay enough of the mass panic about the weather, its January and we live in Ireland. I think some people are addicted to the spreading of "end of the world" messages when we live in a moderate climate in a nice part of the word.

If you disagree then man up and find your testicles.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,150 ✭✭✭Deep Easterly

Okay enough of the mass panic about the weather, its January and we live in Ireland. I think some people are addicted to the spreading of "end of the world" messages when we live in a moderate climate in a nice part of the word.

The above I cannot disagree with, but what exactly is your point? Nobody on here is spreading doom or panic. Just observing what may or may not happen weatherwise in the near future. Do you have a problem with that?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,462 ✭✭✭red menace

The simple solution is not to read the weather forum then.
    All I see is people discussing various scenarios for the coming week.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,082 ✭✭✭✭Spiritoftheseventies

Thawing out now. Roads clear in north dublin

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,267 ✭✭✭✭M.T. Cranium

My concern (despite not living in Ireland) is for those who might be tempted to risk a walk through the rain tomorrow in areas that still have lots of snow. It won't all melt at once, and I recall a very similar situation here (near Vancouver where I live), it was also in January and back in 1997, we had seen a heavy snowfall overnight, 15-20 cms, then a steady rainfall, rising temps, and it probably looked safe to go out especially if someone had shovelled your own walk. Problem was, to get anywhere, you had to navigate big slushy piles of snow and it was still lethally icy in places, with the water over top. There were literally dozens of people around the city, mostly elderly or infirm, suffering broken hips, or other serious injuries, just from a brief and ill-advised walk in those conditions. This is what I fear could happen in some parts of Ireland tomorrow with the rain and rapidly rising temperatures, if you start the rain event with snow cover. There's going to be a period probably from sunrise to after lunch time, when it's not going to be very safe to go out in the expected conditions, but if all the snow clears away by tonight in other places, it might not be so bad for them (assuming it starts off as rain tomorrow morning).

Anyway, I hope the TV and radio people stress that some of the older folk should think about riding this out indoors and not rush off to the shops just because they hear it's +5 outside, wait for all that snow to wash away first.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,634 ✭✭✭✭Graces7

DE thank you

The issue here is one of perception.

Way back they accused me of complaining when I was simply stating and recording conditions and their effects.

As i said then, if THEY were saying those things, they may well be complaining..
    I was not..

He is transferring his feelings on to others.
    The above I cannot disagree with, but what exactly is your point? Nobody on here is spreading doom or panic. Just observing what may or may not happen weatherwise in the near future. Do you have a problem with that?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 210 ✭✭mickydcork

My concern (despite not living in Ireland) is for those who might be tempted to risk a walk through the rain tomorrow in areas that still have lots of snow. It won't all melt at once, and I recall a very similar situation here (near Vancouver where I live), it was also in January and back in 1997, we had seen a heavy snowfall overnight, 15-20 cms, then a steady rainfall, rising temps, and it probably looked safe to go out especially if someone had shovelled your own walk. Problem was, to get anywhere, you had to navigate big slushy piles of snow and it was still lethally icy in places, with the water over top. There were literally dozens of people around the city, mostly elderly or infirm, suffering broken hips, or other serious injuries, just from a brief and ill-advised walk in those conditions. This is what I fear could happen in some parts of Ireland tomorrow with the rain and rapidly rising temperatures, if you start the rain event with snow cover. There's going to be a period probably from sunrise to after lunch time, when it's not going to be very safe to go out in the expected conditions, but if all the snow clears away by tonight in other places, it might not be so bad for them (assuming it starts off as rain tomorrow morning).

Anyway, I hope the TV and radio people stress that some of the older folk should think about riding this out indoors and not rush off to the shops just because they hear it's +5 outside, wait for all that snow to wash away first.

Spot on!
    The footpaths around south Dublin are treacherous!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,601 ✭✭✭200motels

Well said, the paths here are lethal.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,756 ✭✭✭✭JPA

waterford.jpg

Are the BBC wrong? I see this forecast nowhere else. They say Heavy Snow for Dublin as well.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 458 ✭✭fuelinjection

Oh God the world is too dangerous to live in. Stay in bed. Never go out.

1./ It's good to warn people about extreme events like we had last week.

2./ Wise up, temps are back to normal and you need to find another hobby or obsession until extreme weather is back again. Yes slippy roads are bad, yes too much rain is bad, but really how do you think your ancestors existed and managed to have kids.

• Registered Users Posts: 190 ✭✭drag0n79

Wise up, temps are back to normal and you need to find another hobby or obsession until extreme weather is back again.

Nah, you're not getting it, this is the Weather forum. For most of the regulars in here, weather is the obsession (extreme or not).

• Registered Users Posts: 1,542 ✭✭✭Tactical

Oh No,

Its the END OF THE WORLD....
    Eeeeeek, why didn't somebody tell me?

:rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes::P:P:P:D:D:D

• Registered Users Posts: 14,267 ✭✭✭✭M.T. Cranium

This is now looking like a major impact weather system with some serious wind, rain, snow (northeast) and flooding impacts for much of the country.

It may seem like NBD in a few places but for many this is going to pose some serious challenges tomorrow and even the forecast itself is not that well-defined, it's the classic collision of the air masses with Ireland in the middle.

Taking my overnight break now, hope to get back at it around 5 pm.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,693 ✭✭✭Redsunset

Correct MT,tis shaping up very nicely,plenty of energy in it.

I could be wrong but something like this set up can potentially dump very large quantities of snow,simply because of intensity and as you say the warm air,cold air battleground scenario.

Very interesting indeed.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,542 ✭✭✭Tactical

Thanks for the update MT, I'll be following this one closely as I'll have a lot of travel on for the rest of the week.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,133 ✭✭✭munsterlegend

redsunset wrote: »
    Correct MT,tis shaping up very nicely,plenty of energy in it.

I could be wrong but something like this set up can potentially dump very large quantities of snow,simply because of intensity and as you say the warm air,cold air battleground scenario.

Very interesting indeed.

wonder has there been similar events/charts before which gave us surprise snow? don't think us down south will benefit again - we'd never be that lucky twice in three days for heavy snow. slight thaw ongoing here but cloudy - will take the predicted rain tonight to wash away our snow.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,398 ✭✭✭dfbemt

Yes, big thaw on and all the excitement of the past few weeks is dying down. I for one think that I have found a new hobby and will certainly be checking in regularly. Thanks to all the excellent posters and forecasters for an interesting month give or take. Apart from all the link to weather related sites picked up during the time the best is the airline tracking one - like watching the world go by.

http://www.radarvirtuel.com/

Reason for posting - have noticed that the ground is saturated in parts. Parts of my garden that never held water have puddles on the surface. Was wondering is this down to the amount of water appearing after the thaw or is the ground below the surface still frozen and hampering drainage?

Thaw bad = no more snow. Was great while it lasted
    Thaw good = can start sorting out veg patch in few days for Spring planting

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2 jcarr

Oh God the world is too dangerous to live in. Stay in bed. Never go out.

1./ It's good to warn people about extreme events like we had last week.

2./ Wise up, temps are back to normal and you need to find another hobby or obsession until extreme weather is back again. Yes slippy roads are bad, yes too much rain is bad, but really how do you think your ancestors existed and managed to have kids.

Either somebody pissed in your cornflakes or perhaps you are slightly confused????
    This is the WEATHER Forum for discussing WEATHER

Perhaps the charter might explain it a little better for you, read the charter if you're still confused.....

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2055224536

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,550 ✭✭✭Min

Cork and Kerry are being put on flood alert, possibly Waterford.

Met Eireann have a weather warning out for this now...

Weather Warning

Issued at 11 January 2010 - 13:25
    Weather Alert

Cold tonight with frost and some icy patches. The patchy sleet and snow over Ulster dying out later also.

Very windy later tonight and tomorrow, with heavy rain pushing up from the southwest during the day, preceded by sleet and snow for a time.

Some flooding likely, from heavy rain and snow melt, with Munster and parts of Leinster most at risk.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,133 ✭✭✭munsterlegend

Met Eireann have a weather warning out for this now...

that rain looks very intense on the radars - thats all we need another bout of flooding. lot of snow to melt here yet - fog is preventing the sun from appearing. hopefully it won't be as bad as predicted.

Road safety alert

Monday, January 11th, 2010

The Road Safety Authority (RSA) has issued a road safety alert to road users in Counties Kerry, Cork, Wexford and Waterford as Met Eireann warns of Gale-force winds and heavy rain fall over the next 24 hours.

This forecast combined with melting snow and ice will make the roads very treacherous.

Met Eireann has forecast heavy rain developing later tonight and continuing through much of Tuesday. Strong to gale force southeast to east winds too, with gale to strong gale force winds on the coasts. Up to 40 to 55 mm of rainfall is expected.

http://www.hgvireland.com/01/11/road-safety-alert/

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,476 ✭✭✭✭Our man in Havana

I for one welcome the rain with open arms.

• Advertisement

Bond-007 wrote: »
    I for one welcome the rain with open arms.

ants.jpg

Advertisement