Boards.ie uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Click here to find out more x

10-01-2010, 23:44   #1
maquiladora

Tuesday 12th - Strong winds, Heavy Rain & Surprise Snow

Looks like we might be in for another spell of rough weather of a different kind on Tuesday with a low pressure system off the SW coast giving us gales (in parts) and lashing rain (almost everywhere)...

Met Eireann are saying :

Becoming very windy on Tuesday with gale force southeast to east winds developing. A band of precipitation will spread northeastwards during the day and Tuesday night but probably not reaching far northern regions.

Wind forecast chart for Tuesday morning :

http://www.xcweather.co.uk

South, southeast and eastern costal areas could see sustained 80kmph winds with gusts over 100kmph. Inland gales are likely in the south/southeast/east with gusts inland of around 80kmph possible.

Along with the strong wind will come very heavy rain extending over most of the country, though further north it may still be cold enough to fall as sleet/snow.

Precipitation forecast :

Lovely
Advertisement
10-01-2010, 23:48   #2
cherryghost
Frequent Support Feeder

Send a message via MSN to cherryghost Send a message via Yahoo to cherryghost Send a message via Skype™ to cherryghost
1st to call it rain all over the country.
11-01-2010, 00:06   #3
maquiladora

Quote:
Originally Posted by cherryghost View Post
1st to call it rain all over the country.
Could happen, but I would be surprised if some places at least on high ground in the northern half of the country didnt see some sleet/snow mixed in.
Thanks from:
11-01-2010, 00:11   #4
Min

I'm going for more snow for the hills around here.
11-01-2010, 06:38   #5
Graces7

Here too...

All the forecasts isolate Ulster. We will it seems be the last to thaw.

Ah well.... More and more knitting is getting done..

Just wish the water would come back so I can stock the bottles again.

And that the one mile of iced road would clear; has been nearly four weeks now and I am getting very cranky!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Min View Post
I'm going for more snow for the hills around here.
Advertisement
11-01-2010, 07:07   #6
snaps

Send a message via MSN to snaps
The atlantic front is right on the SW munster coast now. Infact UKMO is picking up 1st percip from it
Thanks from:
11-01-2010, 08:41   #7

Hirlam 00z run forecast for tomorrow morning:

Rain, sleet, snow, kitchen sink. Looks a bit breezy too....
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 11th Jan Low Forecast.jpg (76.2 KB, 3503 views)
Thanks from:
11-01-2010, 08:46   #8

Wind ?
Cold ?
Rain ?
Stormy ?

January ?
Ireland ?

Okay enough of the mass panic about the weather, its January and we live in Ireland. I think some people are addicted to the spreading of "end of the world" messages when we live in a moderate climate in a nice part of the word.

If you disagree then man up and find your testicles.
(2) thanks from:
11-01-2010, 08:54   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by fuelinjection View Post
Wind ?
Cold ?
Rain ?
Stormy ?

January ?
Ireland ?

Okay enough of the mass panic about the weather, its January and we live in Ireland. I think some people are addicted to the spreading of "end of the world" messages when we live in a moderate climate in a nice part of the word.

The above I cannot disagree with, but what exactly is your point? Nobody on here is spreading doom or panic. Just observing what may or may not happen weatherwise in the near future. Do you have a problem with that?
Advertisement
11-01-2010, 09:26   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by fuelinjection View Post
Wind ?
Cold ?
Rain ?
Stormy ?

January ?
Ireland ?

The simple solution is not to read the weather forum then.
All I see is people discussing various scenarios for the coming week.
(2) thanks from:
11-01-2010, 09:30   #11

Thawing out now. Roads clear in north dublin
11-01-2010, 09:37   #12
M.T. Cranium

My concern (despite not living in Ireland) is for those who might be tempted to risk a walk through the rain tomorrow in areas that still have lots of snow. It won't all melt at once, and I recall a very similar situation here (near Vancouver where I live), it was also in January and back in 1997, we had seen a heavy snowfall overnight, 15-20 cms, then a steady rainfall, rising temps, and it probably looked safe to go out especially if someone had shovelled your own walk. Problem was, to get anywhere, you had to navigate big slushy piles of snow and it was still lethally icy in places, with the water over top. There were literally dozens of people around the city, mostly elderly or infirm, suffering broken hips, or other serious injuries, just from a brief and ill-advised walk in those conditions. This is what I fear could happen in some parts of Ireland tomorrow with the rain and rapidly rising temperatures, if you start the rain event with snow cover. There's going to be a period probably from sunrise to after lunch time, when it's not going to be very safe to go out in the expected conditions, but if all the snow clears away by tonight in other places, it might not be so bad for them (assuming it starts off as rain tomorrow morning).

Anyway, I hope the TV and radio people stress that some of the older folk should think about riding this out indoors and not rush off to the shops just because they hear it's +5 outside, wait for all that snow to wash away first.
11-01-2010, 09:38   #13
Graces7

DE thank you

The issue here is one of perception.

Way back they accused me of complaining when I was simply stating and recording conditions and their effects.

As i said then, if THEY were saying those things, they may well be complaining..
I was not..

He is transferring his feelings on to others.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deep Easterly View Post
The above I cannot disagree with, but what exactly is your point? Nobody on here is spreading doom or panic. Just observing what may or may not happen weatherwise in the near future. Do you have a problem with that?
11-01-2010, 09:48   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by M.T. Cranium View Post
My concern (despite not living in Ireland) is for those who might be tempted to risk a walk through the rain tomorrow in areas that still have lots of snow. It won't all melt at once, and I recall a very similar situation here (near Vancouver where I live), it was also in January and back in 1997, we had seen a heavy snowfall overnight, 15-20 cms, then a steady rainfall, rising temps, and it probably looked safe to go out especially if someone had shovelled your own walk. Problem was, to get anywhere, you had to navigate big slushy piles of snow and it was still lethally icy in places, with the water over top. There were literally dozens of people around the city, mostly elderly or infirm, suffering broken hips, or other serious injuries, just from a brief and ill-advised walk in those conditions. This is what I fear could happen in some parts of Ireland tomorrow with the rain and rapidly rising temperatures, if you start the rain event with snow cover. There's going to be a period probably from sunrise to after lunch time, when it's not going to be very safe to go out in the expected conditions, but if all the snow clears away by tonight in other places, it might not be so bad for them (assuming it starts off as rain tomorrow morning).

Anyway, I hope the TV and radio people stress that some of the older folk should think about riding this out indoors and not rush off to the shops just because they hear it's +5 outside, wait for all that snow to wash away first.

Spot on!
The footpaths around south Dublin are treacherous!
11-01-2010, 09:56   #15
200motels

Quote:
Originally Posted by M.T. Cranium View Post

Well said, the paths here are lethal.

Quick Reply
Bold
Italic
Underline

Insert Image
Wrap [QUOTE] tags around selected text

Decrease Size
Increase Size
Please sign up or log in to join the discussion