Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on [email protected] for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact [email protected]

The Big Freeze ( Sunday 10th January )

• 10-01-2010 12:24am
    Registered Users Posts: 12,778 ✭✭✭✭ninebeanrows

Big falls of snow have been hitting much of Dublin this evening.

8cm of lying snow here with bigger drifts, best snow i have had for probably ever.

Snow expected to become more widespread across Ireland during the morning and afternoon.

Take care and make the most of a very rare event.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,743 ✭✭✭kleefarr

Kilkenny City outskirts..

Temperature: -5.1 °C
    Dew Point: -5.4 °C

It's snowing. Very lightly, but it's snowing.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,667 ✭✭✭WolfeIRE

Thanks WC

I guess everyone is still refreshing their page on the other thread still:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 847 ✭✭✭mickger

Temp -3.5c and no snow. Congrats to all who got a huge amount of snow tonight. Stay safe and take care ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 114 ✭✭sushisushi

Literally tried to post this as the last thread was closed - this is the 4cm which have fallen in D13 since this afternoon, on top of what was already lying (maybe another 5 or 6 cm).

4261000240_63a6506d5d.jpg

The sky is eerily bright over to the west as well, I'm guessing because of the streetlights reflecting off the lying snow and the white snowclouds. Amazing sight.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,181 ✭✭✭bryaner

Backski

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 16,533 ✭✭✭✭nacho libre

indeed this is something we may not see again for a very long time. so cherish it if you are a snow lover!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,550 ✭✭✭Min

On the UK warnings it says there could be power cuts due to snow turning to ice on power lines.

sushisushi wrote: »
    Literally tried to post this as the last thread was closed - this is the 4cm which have fallen in D13 since this afternoon, on top of what was already lying (maybe another 5 or 6 cm).

4261000240_63a6506d5d.jpg

The sky is eerily bright over to the west as well, I'm guessing because of the streetlights reflecting off the lying snow and the white snowclouds. Amazing sight.

Sweet

I might sleep in the window tonight so I dont miss a flake..

• Registered Users Posts: 1,204 ✭✭✭eskimocat

Big falls of snow have been hitting much of Dublin this evening.

8cm of lying snow here with bigger drifts, best snow i have had for probably ever.

Snow expected to become more widespread across Ireland during the morning and afternoon.

Take care and make the most of a very rare event.

Okay people, hope flame has re-ignited!! thought that the nationwide thing had totally disappeared... still holding out for a few stray flakes!!! right off to bed so, perchance to dream or at least work out how to get to Dublin to play in the snow!!!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 10,700 ✭✭✭✭holly1

Pelting down here in Clane most of the night,must have at least 4/5ins,bring it on!!!!!!!!!:p:p:p:p:p:p:p:p

• Registered Users Posts: 591 ✭✭✭Rosser

Snow at it's deepest here in Dublin 15 since it all began, all foot prints and tyre tracks now totally obscured. -1.5c

Is this the 'event' or is the best yet to come?

I have to get me a weather station just love weather

• Registered Users Posts: 2,655 ✭✭✭delw

why is the ukmo radar nt showing as much in the irish sea as the met.ie for east

• Registered Users Posts: 757 ✭✭✭Bog Butter

Min wrote: »
    On the UK warnings it says there could be power cuts due to snow turning to ice on power lines.

Remember though this is Ireland not the UK.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,047 ✭✭✭demakinz

WolfeIRE wrote: »
    Thanks WC

I guess everyone is still refreshing their page on the other thread still:D

yep about 5 times... dam these snow beers!!

• Registered Users Posts: 9,009 ✭✭✭Tom Cruises Left Nut

holly1 wrote: »
    Pelting down here in Clane most of the night,must have at least 4/5ins,bring it on!!!!!!!!!:p:p:p:p:p:p:p:p

The epic snowbagg fight is defo ONNNNN !!!! :D:D:pac::pac:

• man i'll be one sad guy next year if we don't get snow over here again like this !!!!!!!!!!!!!

I love these winters, if we had them consistantly, it would end up working out because the roads would be prepared and sorted and therefore wouldn't affect ambulances and we'd still have kick ass snow to play in !!!! :)

I'm a 25 yr old child who refuses to grow up.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,060 ✭✭✭Denisejcc

What is it about snow that makes me so happy? Love it :D:D:D

dscf0209.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 4,557 ✭✭✭The tax man

Depth of lying snow on my car Dublin14...

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,234 ✭✭✭thetonynator

kleefarr wrote: »
    Kilkenny City outskirts..

Temperature: -5.1 °C
    Dew Point: -5.4 °C

It's snowing. Very lightly, but it's snowing.

No snow here just 10 miles away:mad:

• Registered Users Posts: 2,890 ✭✭✭embee

Still snowing here in Tullakeel, Co. Louth. This is the longest spell of snow we've had since this cold snap began! So pretty, I think we are at about 2 inches now and thickening steadily. Can't wait for the wee girl to get up in the morning and see this :)

• Registered Users Posts: 11,996 ✭✭✭✭billymitchell

4 inches of snow on the ground here in Kilmainham at the moment. I'm never going to be able to dig the car out in time for work on Monday... :(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 986 ✭✭✭jenzz

Calibos - DP is -3.4.. You literly on the sea edge hun up in Raheen.... We are just accumulating more up here all night - the foot prints are all covered up now & the car which we completely cleared earlier now has 4" on just from tinight.

We had 15-18cm measured today... Weve been getting snow since Tueday so i honestly dont think there is gonna be much of a thaw on .....

• Registered Users Posts: 3,516 ✭✭✭irish1967

I guess this could be a memorable and record breaking thread. Well it's -3.6c on a clear dry night here in Donegal. Looking forward to tomorrow. Night all :)

• Registered Users Posts: 345 ✭✭Pokes

Light snow here on and off for the last hour. I think ive worn out the F5 key on my keyboard from refreshing here

• Registered Users Posts: 9,235 ✭✭✭lucernarian

WolfeIRE wrote: »
    Went through about 6-7 of the various ensembles there and they all broadly agree that the atlantic will make inroads into the south and southwest at the very least. It is marginal for everywhere else in a line from Galway to Dublin north. Obviously higher ground below this line will differ somewhat by a degree or two (on average) to sea level. All ensembles indicate that the high will reinforce itself somewhat towards the end of the week. This I believe is ME's reason for not putting a definitive end to the cold spell. 'Temperatures rising slightly' is about right.

It doesn't bloody matter anyway, the situation changes 4 times a day. Predicting the outcome of next week's atlantic v colder airmass is like trying to get the bullseye with a blunt dart while blindfolded and drunk.
    That sounds like a very realistic analysis. But with the way this winter has gone, a recharged Scandi HP coming back for next weekend wouldn't suprise me. But I'm not too bothered about that far out. Me here in the east (IMBY I know:D) is thinking about tonight first!

I can't for the life of me predict how long this instability in the Irish Sea is going to last for. It seems to be starting a quietening down now, from looking at the latest satellite and radar. Perhaps it might return tonight?

Quoted here for posterity:)

eskimocat wrote: »
    Okay people, hope flame has re-ignited!! thought that the nationwide thing had totally disappeared... still holding out for a few stray flakes!!! right off to bed so, perchance to dream or at least work out how to get to Dublin to play in the snow!!!

Ahh go on stay up the night is still young

• Registered Users Posts: 1,060 ✭✭✭Denisejcc

man i'll be one sad guy next year if we don't get snow over here again like this !!!!!!!!!!!!!

I love these winters, if we had them consistantly, it would end up working out because the roads would be prepared and sorted and therefore wouldn't affect ambulances and we'd still have kick ass snow to play in !!!! :)

I'm a 25 yr old child who refuses to grow up.

I agree 100%, would be great to have real seasons, winters like this and proper summers, happy days!! Spent hours playing in the snow today, Im a big kid when it comes to snow! :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,237 ✭✭✭✭leahyl

Why does it feel to me like Cork is the only place where it ISN'T snowing?! LOL:D

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement