Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on [email protected] for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact [email protected]

The Big Freeze ( Saturday 9th January 2010 )

• 09-01-2010 4:22am
    Registered Users Posts: 12,778 ✭✭✭✭ninebeanrows

As the biggest freeze since 1963 grips the nation, snow looks likely to spread into the east during the next few hours.

Meanwhile every weather station in Ireland is sub-zero a feat that is extremely rare.

Dublin Air is -8c

We must appreciate the extreme condtions that our country face.

The next few hours could bring renewed snowfall, we wait with interest as our salt runs bare.

Take care everybody.

Location Wind Weather Temp Humidity Rain Pressure
    Dir Speed(Kts) oC (%) (mm) (hPa)
    BALLYHAISE(A) W 01 FOG THICKENING -8 92 0.0 1032
    BELMULLET CALM FINE -4 94 Trace 1032
    CASEMENT SW 05 FINE -7 98 Trace 1031
    CLAREMORRIS(A) CALM - n/a - -9 96 0.0 1033
    CORK AIRPORT N 09 FINE -3 78 Trace 1031
    DUBLIN AIRPORT W 10 FINE -8 100 Trace 1031
    FINNER CAMP(A) SE 03 - n/a - -6 100 n/a 1033
    GURTEEN(A) CALM FOG -7 100 0.0 1033
    JOHNSTOWN CASTLE(A) N 10 FAIR -3 77 0.0 1030
    KNOCK AIRPORT N 03 - n/a - -3 92 0.0 1033
    MACE HEAD(A) E 04 FAIR -3 78 0.0 1032
    MALIN HEAD(A) SW 09 FAIR -3 91 0.0 1032
    MULLINGAR(A) N 02 RECENT FOG -7 99 0.0 1032
    OAK PARK CARLOW(A) N 01 MIST -8 95 0.0 1032
    ROCHES POINT(A) N 08 FAIR -1 82 0.0 1031
    SHANNON AIRPORT NE 01 FREEZING FOG -8 98 Trace 1032
    SHERKIN ISLAND(A) NE 08 FAIR -2 80 0.0 1031
    VALENTIA E 04 FINE -3 82 Trace 103

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,097 ✭✭✭Darragh29

I recorded -8 this evening in Kiltipper/Firhouse. Temp has now risen to -3, probably due to cloud cover at the moment...

• -7.9 Here at the moment, highest reading today -5.

Just about to play with the traffic, going to Dublin - what fun!! :(

• Registered Users Posts: 180 ✭✭Esmeralda34

Hi Darragh29

Was about to reply to your last post but the thread closed.

Just want to say I'm with you all the way! Except for the miserable fact that I am one of those workers that just has to make it in to work on Monday - unless I just can't!

Wish I could head up the Slieve Mish (to be honest) and take it all in. Also with my doggy, but he passed away earlier last month. He didn't like the snow too much anyway, bless him!

I just think this weather is fabulous! Wow - would be great to be a kid again!!

Hope you have the Monday you're hoping for!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,693 ✭✭✭Redsunset

OH OH power just gone.im on limited battery life now and don't know when it'll be back.
    might be a frozen powerline or something.

May save battery for tomorrow adios.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,946 ✭✭✭TheMilkyPirate

Weathercheck, Any significant changes on the charts that have just rolled out?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 20,448 ✭✭✭✭joes girls

Hey baraca ...... you still up too, keep looking out the window, just waiting for it all to kick off:)

joes girls wrote: »
    Hey baraca ...... you still up too, keep looking out the window, just waiting for it all to kick off:)

Yeah just been up in the golf course slidin down the hills on whatever we could find for the last two hours, Mental up there. Kids eh? :rolleyes: ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,354 ✭✭✭smellslikeshoes

Starting to see some nice action in the Irish sea.

Hi Darragh29

Was about to reply to your last post but the thread closed.

Just want to say I'm with you all the way! Except for the miserable fact that I am one of those workers that just has to make it in to work on Monday - unless I just can't!

Wish I could head up the Slieve Mish (to be honest) and take it all in. Also with my doggy, but he passed away earlier last month. He didn't like the snow too much anyway, bless him!

I just think this weather is fabulous! Wow - would be great to be a kid again!!

Hope you have the Monday you're hoping for!!

Well as much as I call upon the dog (80% Irish wolfhound no less!), we were up walking in the Dublin Mountains a few nights ago and a blizzard came down a few feet from the summit, he sat down and downed tools on me because the snow was so cold it got caught up in his eyes and the fur around his face and his whole coat and he got rattled, so he decided he wasn't going any further, (up or down the mountain!). I had to carry him back down the mountain and he was grand once we got back to the car... Now this would be grand only that he is no small dog!

So just a heads up to any Wolfhound/Deerhound owners out there... These dogs have great stamina and strength, but in the snow, their coat is quite thin relative to other breeds and they might struggle in the current conditions especially in a blizzard or snowy conditions where snow can stick to their coats and their face and they just can't see where they are going due to ice covering their face...

• Registered Users Posts: 3,087 ✭✭✭Duiske

As the biggest freeze since 1963 grips the nation, snow looks likely to spread into the east during the next few hours.

Yup WC, its coming along nicely this morning. I posted about 10.30 last night regarding the snow potential for this morning and early afternoon, but I may have underestimated it a little. Looks likely that we could be in for some pretty decent falls along the east coast. While the showers may not be particularly heavy, they will be frequent, and some will be fairly prolonged.

As always with showery outbreaks its impossible to be specific about where and when, but all Eastern counties looking good this morning, along with Northern coastal areas. The heavier showers are also likely to travel a fair bit inland. A guesstimate would be anywhere within 40 miles of NE/E/SE coasts could pick up these showers before early afternoon.

• Advertisement

Starting to see some nice action in the Irish sea.

Hopefully that wind will turn north easterly soon, Might see a nice bit of snow :).

• Registered Users Posts: 15,286 ✭✭✭✭Supercell

Looking at the radar its all about to kick off in the next couple of hours. Surprised there is so much convection with such high pressure. I have a feeling the next few days will be epic.

Have a weather station?, why not join the Ireland Weather Network - http://irelandweather.eu/

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,498 ✭✭✭Mothman

Meanwhile every weather station in Ireland is sub-zero a feat that is extremely rare.
    Except with me
    Now +1.2C Dp -2.5C
    Both rising.

But agree it is unusual. I'm expecting sleet/rain at coast, Bouy M2 5.5/1.2 at 4am, this will freeze on ground and create even more horrible conditions than snow and more horrible than what is already on the roads.
    Its going to be very messy and I think this extremely treacherous messyness will spread inland into next week as a thaw gets on the way.

Supercell wrote: »
    Looking at the radar its all about to kick off in the next couple of hours. Surprised there is so much convection with such high pressure. I have a feeling the next few days will be epic.

Hope your right SC. Are the winds expected to turn more easterly in the next few hours?

• Registered Users Posts: 20,448 ✭✭✭✭joes girls

baraca wrote: »
    Yeah just been up in the golf course slidin down the hills on whatever we could find for the last two hours, Mental up there. Kids eh? :rolleyes: ;)

Lord are ya mad ....... went to the chipper around 11, nearly lost the will to live it was that cold, but the chips and curry dip heated me back up!!!

Talks tomorrow when we are snowed in:)
    Nites all!

MM despite the alarming temperature rise (here too) I think the showers will almost certainly be wintry down there as well and temperatures will fall in precipitation.

Have a weather station?, why not join the Ireland Weather Network - http://irelandweather.eu/

joes girls wrote: »
    Lord are ya mad ....... went to the chipper around 11, nearly lost the will to live it was that cold, but the chips and curry dip heated me back up!!!

Talks tomorrow when we are snowed in:)
    Nites all!

Didn't seem that cold TBH!

Hopefully yeah night joes!

Hope your right SC. Are the winds expected to turn more easterly in the next few hours?

They are, the huge rise in temperature for coastal locations such as Mothman and myself is testament to that.

Supercell wrote: »
    MM despite the alarming temperature rise (here too) I think the showers will almost certainly be wintry down there as well and temperatures will fall in precipitation.
    I'm not anticiapting a fall with me unless precipitation is heavy. I've a direct tap into the maritime air already and this will continue.
    At this stage evey km inland makes a big difference.

And as the winds tern more east the maritime influence will spread inland.

It's the subzero raods that concern me and the sheets of black ice that are iMO inevitable.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 45 Banner_girl

Didn't seem that cold TBH!

Hopefully yeah night joes!

Lucky u...-9.6 here in clare

1.7/-2.1C

Gonna be in positive numbers myself soon if this keeps up.
    How the heck is Dublin and BB still way below zero?
    I console myself with the thought that this obviously means i'm getting showers soon....

And with pressure near 1030mb and while I know its not be all and end all, I don't anticipate intense showers. Flurries with the occassional heavier burst

By the way the highest temp on the Met E table of stations at 5am was -2C at the 3 coastal stations in Cork and Kerry.

Very cold throughout midlands
    http://www.irelandsweather.com/
    The map and table auto refresh every 5 minutes

• Registered Users Posts: 180 ✭✭Esmeralda34

Darragh29 wrote: »
    Well as much as I call upon the dog (80% Irish wolfhound no less!), we were up walking in the Dublin Mountains a few nights ago and a blizzard came down a few feet from the summit, he sat down and downed tools on me because the snow was so cold it got caught up in his eyes and the fur around his face and his whole coat and he got rattled, so he decided he wasn't going any further, (up or down the mountain!). I had to carry him back down the mountain and he was grand once we got back to the car... Now this would be grand only that he is no small dog!

So just a heads up to any Wolfhound/Deerhound owners out there... These dogs have great stamina and strength, but in the snow, their coat is quite thin relative to other breeds and they might struggle in the current conditions especially in a blizzard or snowy conditions where snow can stick to their coats and their face and they just can't see where they are going due to ice covering their face...

Ahh, 80% Irish Wolfhound?! Fabulous! Fair play to you carrying him back down. My little fella was a black cocker spaniel and his long hair would end up matted with snow/ice balls. He didn't know what to make out of it in his younger years but once he reached adulthood he certainly didn't like it!!

Fantastic to see dogs enjoying this weather too though. It just adds to it all.

Our thingy is now showing only -1.4! Though -7 at the airport. Where's the -12 for tonight in Dublin indicated on the RTE News yesterday?

Mothman wrote: »
    By the way the highest temp on the Met E table of stations at 5am was -2C at the 3 coastal stations in Cork and Kerry.

Very cold throughout midlands
    http://www.irelandsweather.com/
    The map and table auto refresh every 5 minutes

-6 here now, milder than last night...

-0.4°C and rising here...

i have to say this doesnt bode well for Sunday. Yes the temps in Dublin are low now but its shallow cold, when the wind turns east proper its going to rise temps in the city at a massive rate . The subsequent thaw is going to make for some messy road conditions.

• Advertisement

Our thingy is now showing only -1.4! Though -7 at the airport. Where's the -12 for tonight in Dublin indicated on the RTE News yesterday?
    Just because one or spot locations didn't record -12C does not mean it did not occur. -10 to -12C is widespread across midlands and while temps have eased a tiny bit in Dublin I've no doubt an unrecorded -12C did occur in western Dublin.

Anyway -9.5C at Dublin AP tonight or -12C, both are *very* cold and IMO its splitting hairs to point out differences

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement