Boards.ie uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Click here to find out more x
Thread Closed  

06-01-2010, 21:24   #1

Bad Weather.. Dublin needs to "man up".

It started snowing in the North West of Ireland before Christmas Eve - since then we've had more snow, extremely treacherous roads with most secondary & backroads ungritted for over 2 weeks. Parts of Sligo were without mains water for several days. Our house had no water or heat for 3 days & we couldn't get out of the house due to the roads, or even get any supllies of water, food or fuel delivered for the same reason.

While the rest of the country has had it bad for over 2 weeks, Dublin has had a relatively easy time of it. Yet, the media have little to say about it. The first time I saw TV coverage of Sligo was on yesterday's news, when guess what? Yup - part of the Sligo to Dublin road was partially snowed over.

Then, today it snowed in Dublin. And all bloomin' day, all I've heard on the radio & TV - reports of "atrocious" weather & "horrific" conditions... and why? All because people spent an hour or two extra trying to get home.

Well, try living without water, try living without heat - or try living in a rural area where you are essentially cut off - then try combining all those 3 & then start complaining.

No-one is arguing that the weather isn't bad in the capital, or that the roads aren't bad, but Dublin, you seriously need to man up.
(96) thanks from:
**Timbuk2**, 445279.ie, adamski8, Aldebaran, big_show, Blazer, bluedolphin, bman, bob the bob, bonzos, Buford T Justice, Captain Darling, Chad ghostal, chalad07, Chicken Run, Clare Bear, Col200sx, cooperguy, coup1917, cournioni, CR 7, D-Generate, Daemos, dambarude, Daragh101, Daysha, Dempsey, donmeister, EKRIUQ, El Siglo, El_Dangeroso, eoindc, Fighting Irish, Flecktarn, Frada, FridaysWell, friendface, fullback4glin, fullstop, G86, Gryzor, Heisenberg., Hogzy, jaffa20, JangoFett, jd007, jif, JimmyCrackCorn!, joewicklow, jokettle, jumpguy, Keen2win, Leftyflip, Lex_Diamonds, Local-womanizer, Mardy Bum, MarkR, Mint Sauce, moimeme24, Mossy Monk, mud, Mycroft H, namloc1980, opinion guy, Overheal, Padraig Mor, pandamoanium, parasite, pickarooney, prendy, Princess Consuela Bananahammock, Proxy, Pushtrak, Pyr0, Queen-Mise, rainbowtrout, Riddle101, RoadKillTs, Ruu_Old, Say Your Number, sceptre, Sea Devils, seamus, Shacklebolt, Slidey, smashey, snowyeoghan, soups05, spiritcrusher, stealthyspeeder, stepbar, stripysocks85, The Big Red Button, Vain, Vokes, yop
Advertisement
06-01-2010, 21:26   #2
Davidius

This sort of thing would never happen if we lived in space but nobody wants to put money into that.
06-01-2010, 21:26   #3
El Weirdo

Don't forget the fact that the LUAS still isn't working down here in Sligo either.
06-01-2010, 21:26   #4
JangoFett

Dublin needs to man up for a lot of reasons and get over itself!

(2) thanks from:
06-01-2010, 21:26   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by starbelgrade View Post
Well, try living without water, try living without heat - or try living in a rural area where you are essentially cut off - then try combining all those 3 & then start complaining.
where do you live, mongolia?
Thanks from:
Advertisement
06-01-2010, 21:26   #6
Jabba

Further proof that only Dublin matters
06-01-2010, 21:28   #7

Quote:
No-one is arguing that the weather isn't bad in the capital, or that the roads aren't bad, but Dublin, you seriously need to man up.
I read somewhere that Dublin doesn't play by the rules OP.
06-01-2010, 21:29   #8
JJ

It seems your internet is working fine though.
06-01-2010, 21:30   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jabba View Post
Further proof that only Dublin matters
Finally you all realise that it is only Dublin that matters
Advertisement
06-01-2010, 21:30   #10
Banned

Quote:
Eh you do realise it's just the meejaa making all that stink right? Dubliners actually put up with this shít and get on with it just like the rest of the country. I usually get a nice handy bus ride home at the end of the day but today I had the novelity of a nice brisk 90 minute uphill walk in the cold on icy paths for a change. I just started walking and got on with it. So did everybody else.
06-01-2010, 21:31   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by JJ View Post
It seems your internet is working fine though.
It seems that internet waves are less likely to freeze than water.
06-01-2010, 21:31   #12
Dr. Kenneth Noisewater

+1 OP.

Dublin gets a bit of lying snow and slush and Six-one news has a massive caption "THE BIG FREEZE"!!! There are people around the northwest who havent been able to leave their homes since before christmas, but now because Dublin has got a splutter of snow, the world will end. I know more people are affected when it happens in the capital, but looking at the news, if some people learned to drive in slippy conditions, the congestion wouldnt be as bad. Revving the crap out of the car!
Thanks from:
06-01-2010, 21:32   #13

Your right. I'm going to man up right now.
06-01-2010, 21:34   #14
Captain Havoc
English, Deutsch, Francais.

While I was living in Zürich one year they had the worst snow in about 50 years, it was above my knee but they just get on with it. They only get about a week of snow a year and don't feel the need to shut up shop.
06-01-2010, 21:35   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by deccurley View Post
if some people learned to drive in slippy conditions, the congestion wouldnt be as bad. Revving the crap out of the car!
Yeah - I've seen that on the news.. cars in Dublin sliding up hills, around ungritted backroad bends around flat, gritted roads.
Thread Closed