Boards.ie uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Click here to find out more x
Thread Closed  

05-12-2009, 10:07   #46
Min

I want a new radar for the west, I'm in Kilkenny but I want to see what is coming and I then calculate roughly how much time I have to get outside work done.
Today the radar at Shannon looks broken....
Advertisement
05-12-2009, 11:15   #47
weisses

Good luck @ kerry airport ... just stick ur head out of the window

http://www.nfc.ie/joomla/index.php?o...d=16&Itemid=28

Is this a joke ???
05-12-2009, 14:12   #48
Joe Public

There's moderate rain in Cork & Kerry so I guess there's heavier rain on the way.
Yes, the Shannon radar does seem to go down quite often.
05-12-2009, 18:40   #49
Timistry

It would have been interesting to see the radar today. Some of the rain was very heavy today. just stopped a while ago. Its been raining all day
06-12-2009, 05:46   #50
octo

Quote:
Originally Posted by weisses View Post
Ohh please stop ...... now its the recession ?!? the site and forecasting was exactly the same in the boom years ... And isn't a place like this not the ideal environment to discuss these issues ...

When i check European sites and the American (specially in tornado alley) its so much more interactive, up to date and informative on a consumer level .. And there are enough weather related issues here that justifies just that

I wil leave it @ this most people seems to be happy just gave you my opinion
Dude, I'm not Met Eireann. If you want to do something constructive instead of just moaning on the internet I'd suggest you write to John Gormley. Don't you think they'd love it too in Glasnevin if they could upgrade their existing radars and put in a new one in the northwest?
Advertisement
06-12-2009, 10:20   #51
Discodog

Unfortunately the rainfall radar is about the only part of Met Eireann that is any good & yet again Shannon is down. For a lot of people the weather forecast is an interest whereas for me it is an essential & an inaccurate forecast can affect my business.

Later today we will get the farming forecast for the week ahead. It will be vague & the rainfall projection will be flashed through in a few seconds. RTE cannot even manage to broadcast it at the same time each week.

I am amazed that Sky (not Irish), yr.no, & the BBC can provide a far more accurate guide to the Irish weather than Met Eireann or RTE. ME need to make the effort to produce more detailed & regional forecasts - I don't mean "showers or occasional rain" which is their permanent get out.
06-12-2009, 10:32   #52
weisses

Quote:
Originally Posted by octo View Post
Dude, I'm not Met Eireann. If you want to do something constructive instead of just moaning on the internet I'd suggest you write to John Gormley. Don't you think they'd love it too in Glasnevin if they could upgrade their existing radars and put in a new one in the northwest?
what is constructive in writing to a corrupt elite who only come out of their holes in election time ....

I just started this discussion here because I think the MET eireann website is not good enough and up to date (specially radar) even aviation websites using inaccurate MET eireann data

again this is a forum where people share and sometimes disagree with each other ... so instead of calling people moaners post something constructive please
06-12-2009, 10:51   #53
Discodog

It is interesting that Uk Met have a section of their website highlighting future improvements & inviting comments. The interactive Google Earth style map is rather good. Maybe ME could take a look.

http://www.metoffice.gov.uk/public/p...nt/weathermap/

http://www.metoffice.gov.uk/public/pws/invent/
06-12-2009, 12:37   #54
Storm 10

Just had a beast of a shower here with a lot of hail and very strong winds and another big one coming in from the West with an Anvil head, nothing showing up on Met Eireann radar.
Advertisement
06-12-2009, 14:15   #55
Sponge Bob
Banned

Shannon radar has been down for 6 hours at least today. It is minging here.

Get those radars deployed in Dooncarton and Mt Gabriel and we have redundancy of some sort ...and so do the UK. Particularly so in winter when there are no 'visible' or IR radar shots because it is DARK
06-12-2009, 14:20   #56
Sponge Bob
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sponge Bob View Post
Iceland , within 5 minutes of the quarter hour on the quarter hour http://en.vedur.is/weather/observations/radar/

But only the sw of Iceland is covered. Mind you that is equal to the population of Donegal and Mayo ONLY.
I must apologise to the Icelandic Met .

Apart from having a very nice website overall the radar updates within 3 minutes of the quarter hour ON the quarter hour and not 5 minutes like I said earlier this week. The 14:15 radar scan showed on their website at 14:18
06-12-2009, 14:22   #57
silverski

Quote:
Originally Posted by redsunset View Post
something like this

http://www.meteo-paris.com/almanach/

translate the page to english first

And maybe something like this...
http://www.eldersweather.com.au/wa/s...st/dunsborough

Regards

Silverski -
06-12-2009, 18:08   #58
Discodog

If anyone here works for ME can they indicate when Shannon radar will be back.
06-12-2009, 22:40   #59
Sponge Bob
Banned

down over 12 hours today.

How are we supposed to plan anything with no radar , can't even walk the feckin dog in the west without it on a day like this.

We need redundancy on the radar, Mt Gabriel and Dooncarton proposals are required right now.
06-12-2009, 22:55   #60
Storm 10

Lots of heavy showers coming in according to the latest UK Sat image

Thread Closed