Boards.ie uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Click here to find out more x

15-10-2009, 17:11   #1
Landys

Meal Bins, New or Second hand

Hi

Just wondering where is the best value if looking to get a meal bin. Thinking of a small one 4 0r 5 tons. Would buy a second hand one if it was in good condition but they are probably hard to find second hand. I am in the Sligo area and not sure are there any place that make new ones in West of Ireland and wonder what kind of price they are?

Thanks
Advertisement
15-10-2009, 18:07   #2

McAree make meal silos. Based in Monaghan

http://www.farmads.ie/everything_els...ilo_technology
16-10-2009, 08:50   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Landys View Post
Hi

Just wondering where is the best value if looking to get a meal bin. Thinking of a small one 4 0r 5 tons. Would buy a second hand one if it was in good condition but they are probably hard to find second hand. I am in the Sligo area and not sure are there any place that make new ones in West of Ireland and wonder what kind of price they are?

Thanks
You could consider the plastic 2 ton version from www.jfc.ie

R
18-10-2009, 20:27   #4
squarebale

Would a meal company deliver 2 tonnes?
19-10-2009, 13:05   #5
Bitten & Hisses

Quote:
Originally Posted by squarebale View Post
Would a meal company deliver 2 tonnes?
3-tonne minimum for bulk here in the South West anyway. They'd deliver a 2-tonne pallet of bags if you wanted.
Advertisement
21-10-2009, 21:09   #6

i bought a 16 ton meal bin last year in the hope off buying in bulk cheaper but no joy..the meal reps priced per ton and did not care what volume i bought and i could not buy off the combine as it would have to be blown into the bin..so its now empty and i got rolled barley in the silage trailer
22-10-2009, 09:22   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by one big push View Post
i bought a 16 ton meal bin last year in the hope off buying in bulk cheaper but no joy..the meal reps priced per ton and did not care what volume i bought and i could not buy off the combine as it would have to be blown into the bin..so its now empty and i got rolled barley in the silage trailer
Buying in bulk is still 20% to 25% cheaper than buying in bags. A meal bin will pay for itself in a few years.
23-10-2009, 07:58   #8
DagneyTaggart

One Big Push: Are you interested in selling that bin?
23-10-2009, 13:01   #9

i've been doing some research myself over the last few weeks. If anyone knows anyone selling a second hand bin let me know. i found a crowd in the north selling new ones. 6 tonne for 1875 and 8 tonne for 1995. there's vat to be added to both of those. and they're both split bins
Advertisement
23-10-2009, 15:28   #10

SIlo suppliers

Difficult to find 2nd hand silos at the moment - but the best bet is to keep an eye in the local newspaper classifieds and the farmers journal. Remember that you will also have to pay to get the store lifted and fitted so there may not be that much of a saving.

Main suppliers are Crowley Engineering & Spirofeed in Cork, McAree Engineering in Monaghan, Roblew and QMAC in Northern Ireland. All will have different prices due to transport costs/exchange rates.

Majority of silos are on legs but most will have offer offset cones to the side and McAree & Roblew provide silos with the cones enclosed (nice when you are bagging off in the rain)
23-10-2009, 17:39   #11

this is what i was quoted recently for split bins
QMAC: 6 tonne for 1875stg and 8 tonne for 1995stg
Roblew: 8 tonne 2045stg
Any south of the border were over 3 grand (euro)

All above had to have vat added on.
23-10-2009, 20:53   #12
Landys

Lads

Thanks for all the replies. Rang a place myself today in Cavan, PE think they were called, advertised in this weeks journal. Looking for 1450 euro plus vat for four ton, fully galvanised on legs with a spout to side for bag filling. Delivered and fitted for that price.

I suppose thats not too bad.

There was one on Donedeal this week in Tyrone, secondhand painted one and they were looking for 1000 plus delivery and put it up yourself so the the new one sounds way better value .
24-10-2009, 08:05   #13

Hi Landys

Can you pm me the details of where you're getting this one. thanks
25-10-2009, 20:35   #14
adne

Quote:
Lads

Thanks for all the replies. Rang a place myself today in Cavan, PE think they were called, advertised in this weeks journal. Looking for 1450 euro plus vat for four ton, fully galvanised on legs with a spout to side for bag filling. Delivered and fitted for that price.

There was one on Donedeal this week in Tyrone, secondhand painted one and they were looking for 1000 plus delivery and put it up yourself so the the new one sounds way better value .

Landys - Can you pm me the details plz
12-11-2009, 15:55   #15

Quote:
Lads

well did anyone try these lads after, saw a flyer in kerry store the other day for 15% off spirofeed bins or maybe it was 15% off your bulk feed if you bought a bin, not sure didnt read it right

Quick Reply
Bold
Italic
Underline

Insert Image
Wrap [QUOTE] tags around selected text

Decrease Size
Increase Size
Please sign up or log in to join the discussion