Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Meal Bins, New or Second hand

• 15-10-2009 5:11pm
    Registered Users Posts: 26

Hi

Just wondering where is the best value if looking to get a meal bin. Thinking of a small one 4 0r 5 tons. Would buy a second hand one if it was in good condition but they are probably hard to find second hand. I am in the Sligo area and not sure are there any place that make new ones in West of Ireland and wonder what kind of price they are?

Thanks

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 71 ✭✭robototitico

• Closed Accounts Posts: 369 ✭✭Rujib1

Landys wrote: »
    Hi

Just wondering where is the best value if looking to get a meal bin. Thinking of a small one 4 0r 5 tons. Would buy a second hand one if it was in good condition but they are probably hard to find second hand. I am in the Sligo area and not sure are there any place that make new ones in West of Ireland and wonder what kind of price they are?

Thanks

You could consider the plastic 2 ton version from www.jfc.ie

R

• Registered Users Posts: 47 squarebale

Would a meal company deliver 2 tonnes?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,202 ✭✭✭Bitten & Hisses

squarebale wrote: »
    Would a meal company deliver 2 tonnes?

3-tonne minimum for bulk here in the South West anyway. They'd deliver a 2-tonne pallet of bags if you wanted.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11 one big push

i bought a 16 ton meal bin last year in the hope off buying in bulk cheaper but no joy..the meal reps priced per ton and did not care what volume i bought and i could not buy off the combine as it would have to be blown into the bin..so its now empty and i got rolled barley in the silage trailer

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 7,401 ✭✭✭reilig

i bought a 16 ton meal bin last year in the hope off buying in bulk cheaper but no joy..the meal reps priced per ton and did not care what volume i bought and i could not buy off the combine as it would have to be blown into the bin..so its now empty and i got rolled barley in the silage trailer

Buying in bulk is still 20% to 25% cheaper than buying in bags. A meal bin will pay for itself in a few years.

• Registered Users Posts: 74 ✭✭DagneyTaggart

One Big Push: Are you interested in selling that bin?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16 Dragous

i've been doing some research myself over the last few weeks. If anyone knows anyone selling a second hand bin let me know. i found a crowd in the north selling new ones. 6 tonne for 1875 and 8 tonne for 1995. there's vat to be added to both of those. and they're both split bins

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1 Siloman

Difficult to find 2nd hand silos at the moment - but the best bet is to keep an eye in the local newspaper classifieds and the farmers journal. Remember that you will also have to pay to get the store lifted and fitted so there may not be that much of a saving.

Main suppliers are Crowley Engineering & Spirofeed in Cork, McAree Engineering in Monaghan, Roblew and QMAC in Northern Ireland. All will have different prices due to transport costs/exchange rates.

Majority of silos are on legs but most will have offer offset cones to the side and McAree & Roblew provide silos with the cones enclosed (nice when you are bagging off in the rain)

this is what i was quoted recently for split bins
    QMAC: 6 tonne for 1875stg and 8 tonne for 1995stg
    Roblew: 8 tonne 2045stg
    Any south of the border were over 3 grand (euro)

All above had to have vat added on.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 26 Landys

Lads

Thanks for all the replies. Rang a place myself today in Cavan, PE think they were called, advertised in this weeks journal. Looking for 1450 euro plus vat for four ton, fully galvanised on legs with a spout to side for bag filling. Delivered and fitted for that price.

I suppose thats not too bad.

There was one on Donedeal this week in Tyrone, secondhand painted one and they were looking for 1000 plus delivery and put it up yourself so the the new one sounds way better value .

Hi Landys

Can you pm me the details of where you're getting this one. thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 1,199 ✭✭✭adne

Lads

Thanks for all the replies. Rang a place myself today in Cavan, PE think they were called, advertised in this weeks journal. Looking for 1450 euro plus vat for four ton, fully galvanised on legs with a spout to side for bag filling. Delivered and fitted for that price.

There was one on Donedeal this week in Tyrone, secondhand painted one and they were looking for 1000 plus delivery and put it up yourself so the the new one sounds way better value .

Landys - Can you pm me the details plz

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,087 ✭✭✭vanderbadger

Lads

well did anyone try these lads after, saw a flyer in kerry store the other day for 15% off spirofeed bins or maybe it was 15% off your bulk feed if you bought a bin, not sure didnt read it right

• Closed Accounts Posts: 369 ✭✭Rujib1

well did anyone try these lads after, saw a flyer in kerry store the other day for 15% off spirofeed bins or maybe it was 15% off your bulk feed if you bought a bin, not sure didnt read it right

Dunno about that, but what I find is that the most expensive place you can possibly go to for farm supplies in general is Kerry.
    Nearest Kerry store is 5 minutes from me, so it was real handy to pop in for whatever was needed, but after comparing prices across a whole renge of stuff to a couple of other places, I just stopped.
    Also, I find the the Bloom range of animal feeds, no matter what the ingredient card on the outside of the bag says, packs no punch compared to orher meals which are much cheaper on other stores.

R1

• Registered Users Posts: 60 ✭✭stagg88

Mc Aree are fairly decent have a bin o order with them. Its a 5 ton bin and all i have to do is put in a ten ft sq base. 1550 plus vat. The 6 ton isjust 50 euro extra too. although Im in Monaghan probably have an effect on transport costs. fairly close to them. Easy to del with too well so far.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,087 ✭✭✭vanderbadger

Rujib1 wrote: »
    Dunno about that, but what I find is that the most expensive place you can possibly go to for farm supplies in general is Kerry.
    Nearest Kerry store is 5 minutes from me, so it was real handy to pop in for whatever was needed, but after comparing prices across a whole renge of stuff to a couple of other places, I just stopped.
    Also, I find the the Bloom range of animal feeds, no matter what the ingredient card on the outside of the bag says, packs no punch compared to orher meals which are much cheaper on other stores.

R1

just found that flyer at home, its says 15% off spirofeed bulk bins,probably a gimmick. ya im the same, kerry store v close to me and I find them handy, they have a good stock of stuff and its easy get in and out of the place place, was surprised there recently to see they were alot cheaper on closamectin than magenta direct the online crowd

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1 mealbin1

Mod note.

From the charter:

In line with the rest of the boards, no advertising or illegal material may be posted. This does not exclude discussions of the relative merits of different types of equipment/breeds/property etc. If you wish to buy or sell something- generate a "For Sale" or "Wanted" ad on www.adverts.ie
    You may link to adverts on www.adverts.ie in your posts on this forum(note: you will be expected to comply with any rules governing the posting of such advertisements- make sure you read the rules).

/mod

• Registered Users Posts: 936 ✭✭✭st1979

No value in s/h meal bins that i see. Was at an dispersal auction recently and a 6 ton meal bin 3yr old made 1350 + commission. Then you have to take it down and transport it then put it back up. With the risk of damaging it in between. I bought a 10 ton during the grant after looking at s/h ones. The best thing of the new 1 is they deliver with a special trailer so there is no work at all fitting it

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,401 ✭✭✭reilig

st1979 wrote: »
    No value in s/h meal bins that i see. Was at an dispersal auction recently and a 6 ton meal bin 3yr old made 1350 + commission. Then you have to take it down and transport it then put it back up. With the risk of damaging it in between. I bought a 10 ton during the grant after looking at s/h ones. The best thing of the new 1 is they deliver with a special trailer so there is no work at all fitting it

We bought a 12 ton meal bin last year off Donedeal for €800. It was 4 years old and in perfect condition. Transport cost me €200 for it with a Lorry and Hiab. The Hiab lifted it into place for me when we brought it back to the farm.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 12,615 Mod ✭✭✭✭blue5000

Has anyone on here got a fibre glass bin? What are they like? I find meal sticks to the steel ones, inside where it starts to taper in.

If the seat's wet, sit on yer hat, a cool head is better than a wet ar5e.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1 kevin mc menamin

Hi

Thanks

hi ya i have a very gud meal bin 4 u its like new,im n donegal. if your intrested give me a call on 0876206402

• Registered Users Posts: 227 ✭✭yog1

i know this thread is a bit old, but i was wondering if anybody had any new suggestion on this, what would you buy, i am looking a 10 split bin, round Tyrone area

Advertisement