Boards.ie uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Click here to find out more x

20-08-2009, 13:34   #1
iGotAquestion

Best Synthesizer for making electro/techno music??

Hi,
I'm looking to start making some electro and techno music and was wondering what would be a good synthesizer to buy??

I have been leaning towards the Korg Microkorg but want to know if this is the best option or is there anything better out there??

I'm only starting out so I don't intend on spending a whole lot yet but I still want a fairly good synth!

sorry yes electro house!!

Last edited by iGotAquestion; 20-08-2009 at 13:48.
Advertisement
20-08-2009, 13:37   #2
tman

Tis a pretty vague question (and I'm definitely not the person to answer it), but you could really do with elaborating about what kind of music you want to make...
I presume by electro you mean electro house?
20-08-2009, 14:39   #3
Mr Floyd

I'm sure the Micro korg would be suitable for your needs, also there might be synths for sale on the likes of buy and sell/ebay/gumtree etc. look out for the likes of a Roland JP8000/8080, Nord Lead, Access Virus, Novation Nova/supernova, other Korg stuff. The only bad thing i've heard about the micro korg is that the keys are quite small but they can produce great sounds, but electro house...ah nothin!
20-08-2009, 14:48   #4
Rockshamrover

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Floyd View Post
I'm sure the Micro korg would be suitable for your needs, also there might be synths for sale on the likes of buy and sell/ebay/gumtree etc. look out for the likes of a Roland JP8000/8080, Nord Lead, Access Virus, Novation Nova/supernova, other Korg stuff. The only bad thing i've heard about the micro korg is that the keys are quite small but they can produce great sounds, but electro house...ah nothin!
Don't forget our very own Adverts.ie (link at the top of this page)
There should be plenty of synths in the Musical instruments section.
20-08-2009, 16:33   #5
iamhunted

any midi enabled keyboard and a copy of Reason
Advertisement
20-08-2009, 16:34   #6
iamhunted

Quote:
Originally Posted by tman View Post
I presume by electro you mean electro house?
kraftwerk would have been classed as electro so its a pretty wide scoped genre
21-08-2009, 00:26   #7
shayleon

Send a message via Skype™ to shayleon
Check the scope platform.

I have the PulsarII, and the bundled synths with it are awesome.
There is also a modular synth with it. It has it's own processors, so no latency.

The PulsarII is OLD. they have the excite now which is much better.

http://www.sonic-core.net/en/home/index.html
21-08-2009, 01:01   #8
empirix
Banned

Microkorg is nothing more than a toy, if your buying a synth buy a high end one if possible, if you cant afford it try get the Korg R3 or a similar synth, but its pretty costly getting a setup together, do you have Monitor?(studio speakers), your best bet might be going software with a cheap midi keyboardif you dont have cash - Reason is popular but to be honest the sound engine in my opinion is flawed, id go with cubase or logic even PT
21-08-2009, 10:19   #9
stateofflux

it depends what your budget is.......you can get a microkorg or alesis micron for around 400euro....they are both ok...

but you could have everything you want with the roland V-synth, or access virus....but they are way more expensive....

if you are starting out with making your own sounds..and you own a computer...i recommend as mentioned you get a cheap midi keyboard and buy a copy of an easy to use soft synth like reason, absynth, vanguard, albino etc....
Advertisement
21-08-2009, 15:49   #10
Mr Floyd

You could go with Reason, hardware guy myself but one of my favourite producers - Claro Intellecto does all his work on Reason and his stuff is amazing. A midi keyboard and the latest Reason/Logic/Ableton and your laughing, you could then pick up some hardware synths as you learn, lots of 2nd hand bargains to be got.
21-08-2009, 18:27   #11
shayleon

Send a message via Skype™ to shayleon
you can try FL Studio for free, and licensing it is pretty cheap too.

Also Cockos reaper is free/cheap alternative to Cubase.

As was said before - don't forget to invest in decent monitors.

HTH
21-08-2009, 20:21   #12
jiltloop

Quote:
Originally Posted by stateofflux View Post
it depends what your budget is.......you can get a microkorg or alesis micron for around 400euro....they are both ok...

but you could have everything you want with the roland V-synth, or access virus....but they are way more expensive....

if you are starting out with making your own sounds..and you own a computer...i recommend as mentioned you get a cheap midi keyboard and buy a copy of an easy to use soft synth like reason, absynth, vanguard, albino etc....
You could pick up a micron for alot cheaper than that, more like 230-250. Actually you could pick up an Ion for probably 350 nowadays.
22-08-2009, 00:58   #13
stateofflux

yea i heard the price is going down with them........the micron is good ( i own one)...but i would'nt recommend it to someone starting out...The screen is too small (big major negative imo)...very tough to edit a synth with 3 oscillators, a rake of filters and a bout 200 parameter options with a screen thats smaller than a packet of juicy fruit........i know you can get computer interface but you should'nt have to in the first place.,........i actually find the korg prophecy easier to program! god i love the prophecy....some things on it have'nt been matched since.....
22-08-2009, 18:18   #14
empirix
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Floyd View Post
You could go with Reason, hardware guy myself but one of my favourite producers - Claro Intellecto does all his work on Reason and his stuff is amazing. A midi keyboard and the latest Reason/Logic/Ableton and your laughing, you could then pick up some hardware synths as you learn, lots of 2nd hand bargains to be got.
Most pro's who use reason import samples into it from their hard synths!
23-08-2009, 20:07   #15
jiltloop

Quote:
Originally Posted by stateofflux View Post
yea i heard the price is going down with them........the micron is good ( i own one)...but i would'nt recommend it to someone starting out...The screen is too small (big major negative imo)...very tough to edit a synth with 3 oscillators, a rake of filters and a bout 200 parameter options with a screen thats smaller than a packet of juicy fruit........i know you can get computer interface but you should'nt have to in the first place.,........i actually find the korg prophecy easier to program! god i love the prophecy....some things on it have'nt been matched since.....
I've thought of getting a micron or ion before but it just never happened, I think I will get an Ion some day when I have the funds. I got a prophecy a while back and it just didn't click with me at all. Couldn't get into programming it cos I didn't find it enjoyable to play with.
Sometimes you just don't click with a synth. I think I prefer more immediate hands on control. But to answer the OP, my first synth was a JP8000 and I found alot of fun to learn on and program, I did eventually sell it on but I thoroughly enjoyed using it when I had it. So that would be my reccomendation, you could probably pick one up now for 400 or so.

Quick Reply
Bold
Italic
Underline

Insert Image
Wrap [QUOTE] tags around selected text

Decrease Size
Increase Size
Please sign up or log in to join the discussion