Boards.ie uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Click here to find out more x

02-08-2009, 15:06   #1
JonathanAnon

Rachael English should replace Marian full-time

I've always liked her style of presenting, she's clever but with personality. She's been presenting the Marian Finucane show (the Sat/Sun show when Tubridy got her spot) for the last few weeks, and she's done a good job. In these recessionary times, is it time to put Marian out to pasture, save the state a few quid, and give Rachael the job?

Marian was always okay, except for a) her recorded "And a very good morning to you" which really irks me b) the fact that she gets paid an absolute fortune of the taxpayers money and c) her tendency to go falsetto for dramatic effect.
Advertisement
02-08-2009, 16:26   #2
deadhead13

Newstalk should try and poach her. She would drastically improve the breakfast or lunchtime show.
02-08-2009, 20:37   #3

Totally agree. Newstalk should poach Rachel English.

She would be excellent in combo with Ivan Yates, it would seriously knock Morning Ireland.

Remember the old radio phrase "win the morning win the day".

Or she could easily compete head to head with Marion at the weekend. Or the Lunchtime news would be excellent with her.

If I was boss of Newstalk she would be hired!
02-08-2009, 20:39   #4
dh0661

IMO she is the best in RTE.

Agree with 54321, Rachel & Ivan would make an excellent morning show - on any station.

Last edited by dh0661; 02-08-2009 at 20:42.
02-08-2009, 22:36   #5
moe_sizlak
Banned

why not just put her back in the drive time slot in place of the awfull mary wilson
Advertisement
02-08-2009, 22:46   #6
Firetrap

Didn't she quit that?
02-08-2009, 23:10   #7
mike65

Tend to agree, I bet she is picking up a fraction of Maid Marians wonga. She might view NT (even if they were so inclined to approach her) as needlessly risky move. She seems to be the sort who'll always find stuff to do at RTE. AT NT she'd be under pressure immediatly while working with fewer resourses and a less sympathetic management set up (say what you like about RTE but they don't treat news/current affairs as wallpaper).

Last edited by mike65; 02-08-2009 at 23:25.
02-08-2009, 23:23   #8
dh0661

Quote:
Originally Posted by mike65 View Post
(say what you like about RTE but they don't treat news/current affairs as wallpaper).
Good point.
03-08-2009, 00:43   #9
Firetrap

I think she does present other shows in the evenings/at night. I don't know if they're regular or just during the run-up to elections and the like. If she did quit Drivetime, she possibly did it to get off the treadmill. Maybe she's happier with a slower pace of things. I do agree though - I'd rather listen to her rather than Marian Finucane any day of the week.

As for moving to Newstalk, that wouldn't be a good move. The majority of journalists/presenters seem to view getting into RTÉ as the ultimate goal of their careers. There are quite a few people popping up on radio/television that I remember from TV3, Today FM, Newstalk and even local stations. I don't know what the financial state of Newstalk is but it's a station that seems to be going backwards. There's sweet feck all live programmes on after 10.00 at night. They were forced to bring back Culture Shock (arts program) and Splanc (Irish language program)
Advertisement
03-08-2009, 08:10   #10
deadhead13

Your right, afaik Newstalk has yet to make anything like a profit. But the only way it can increase revenue is to increase listener, the only way to increase listeners is to improve the quality of programming. Hiring Rachael English would definitly do this.

Whether Rachael would want to leave RTE, I agree, is probably unlikely. The bit-part role she has there now could be of her own choosing. Maybe RTE have plans for her we are unaware of. But the Newstalk model as it currently exists is not working and drastic action is needed.
03-08-2009, 12:14   #11
JonathanAnon

Quote:
Originally Posted by moe_sizlak View Post
why not just put her back in the drive time slot in place of the awfull mary wilson
Well, I would have suggested that but she did leave drivetime of her own accord. I remember the day when she announced it and it was clearly her decision. Mary Wilson really hasnt settled in to, even after the period of time that she has to do so. Maybe it's the fact that she was so long reading from the autoque, she cant think as quickly on her feet. Always found her good at reporting, and quite attractive on camera. Maybe she should return to this role?
03-08-2009, 13:58   #12
humberklog

She has been doing the mid-week after 10pm show though. It's good and is nicely coming along too. It's on a break at the moment though.

I wouldn't go switching her for the ol' maid on saturdays on a full time basis though. Sure she might be better than MF but so what? MF does fill that show very well and in a very different way than RE. If a station shifts someone along every time someone they think is doing a better job then that station loses all continuity and indeed credability. MF is good, fits the slot well, has built the audience and found her niche. It's not broke so don't fix just for the sake of fixing.
They've two excellent presenters in MF and ME and doing it in very different styles, that doesn't mean that they should use one to knock the other off.
I think that they use them about right at the moment. Just enough to leave you thinking you want more. Good skills there.
04-08-2009, 10:05   #13
squonk

Send a message via MSN to squonk Send a message via Skype™ to squonk
Rachel was doing current affairs at Clare FM before she got the gig in RTE. She's excellent but from what I remember, the reason she quite DriveTime was to get out of Dublin, move back to Clare and take life a bit easier and concentrate on what she wanted to do herself. In that light I reckon she's probably thinking she's got all she wants at RTE. Joining NT would bring her back to Dublin and I'm guessing that's not on for persnoal reasons. Also she'd have less freedom. We don't hear enough of her though.
Thanks from:
04-08-2009, 15:21   #14
orourkeda

Marian Finucane should be fired for making that stupid noise with her mouth
23-08-2009, 18:08   #15
deadhead13

Rachael is taking over from Rodney Rice on the Saturday lunchtime show.

Quick Reply
Bold
Italic
Underline

Insert Image
Wrap [QUOTE] tags around selected text

Decrease Size
Increase Size
Please sign up or log in to join the discussion