Boards.ie uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Click here to find out more x

05-06-2009, 02:24   #1
Kramer

Irish Deer Society "member" convicted of dumping deer carcasses.

6 month suspended prison sentence & €2k fine.

http://www.galwayindependent.com/loc...sses-in-wood-/

Mr. Paul Wood - listed as Chairman of the Connaught branch:
http://www.designed4style.com/client...ds/contact.htm

Hypocracy.......................

Quote:
If there’s going to be a management situation, it must be done correctly and properly.
..........said the man months after dumping headless deer carcasses.

From http://www.irishtimes.com/newspaper/ireland/2009/0220/1224241488596.html.

..............still listed on the IDS web site...........should have his deer hunting licence revoked along with his firearm certificate(s) IMO & be expelled from the IDS.
Then again, this is Ireland.. .

Disgraceful behaviour from someone in his position claiming to "care" about Irish deer.
Advertisement
05-06-2009, 10:20   #2
cavan shooter

Ouch Thats goin to hurt, werent IDS on radio about people out lamping foxes were actually poaching. The rest of IDS would need to distance themselves very quickly or this will blow up big time. Can you imagine the field day ICABS etc is going to have
05-06-2009, 11:48   #3
Half-cocked

"Mr Mannion found two headless carcasses and five bags of offal containing guts, bones, hair and other remains"

"that about ten of them were shot for consumption each year."

Do they only eat the heads over in the West?

But seriously, this sort of sh*t gives all hunters a bad name. More fodder for the antis. I hope the IDS will take the appropriate action.
Thanks from:
05-06-2009, 11:57   #4
BryanL

Shooting only for trophies isn't hunting in my book. Not to use the meat harvested is disrespectful. This guy was the spokesman for all of us on Mooney goes wild recently.
05-06-2009, 11:59   #5
Half-cocked

Quote:
Originally Posted by BryanL View Post
This guy was the spokesman for all of us on Mooney goes wild recently.
It gets worse by the minute
Advertisement
05-06-2009, 12:43   #6
Sfinn

Quote:
Originally Posted by BryanL View Post
Shooting only for trophies isn't hunting in my book. Not to use the meat harvested is disrespectful. This guy was the spokesman for all of us on Mooney goes wild recently.
Hear, Hear!

It questions what the private Estates are doing with all their carcasses and the whole philosophy about trophies!

Its not long ago that some of us were branded poachers, at least the meat i believe ended on the dinner table!!

Last edited by Sfinn; 05-06-2009 at 12:52.
05-06-2009, 13:08   #7
jwshooter

Send a message via Yahoo to jwshooter
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sfinn View Post
Hear, Hear!

It questions what the private Estates are doing with all their carcasses and the whole philosophy about trophies!

Its not long ago that some of us were branded poachers, at least the meat i believe ended on the dinner table!!
a mature red deer stag could be worth 200 euro or so to a game dealer.

trophy hunting is a valuable revenue to private estates ,there is no money made from it as such .
money that is made goes back into paying for a stalker jeep running cost etc.

with out these estates like paul woods the monster stags we see in the shooters digest just would not get a chance to mature .

thats why there is such a scramble to secure shooting right on the boundaries of them.
05-06-2009, 14:22   #8
kakashka

I'v seen worse from so called experts at the top of IDS and have reported to be basically told,too valuable to us,dont upset.
As with everything AFAICS in IRL,the klik,buddy,mate head is rotten and needs to be cut to allow new growth..
05-06-2009, 14:28   #9
Sfinn

Quote:
Originally Posted by jwshooter View Post

trophy hunting is a valuable revenue to private estates ,there is no money made from it as such .

with out these estates like paul woods the monster stags we see in the shooters digest just would not get a chance to mature .

thats why there is such a scramble to secure shooting right on the boundaries of them.
I've no intention in entering a whos right whos wrong scenario or defending any group or individual. All i will say is that i have actively engaged private fisheries for the last 20 years in pursing a common goal which is inclusive of the local population. Once fisheries owners recognise the advantages in having the local club on board the animosity disappears. You will always have those who will abuse it and they need to be dealt with. It is the same in every sport. However, i feel its all about respect and understanding where both parties are comming form.

When it comes to shooting rights/access it has been a different story. Its a legal nightmare, especially along the western sea board and i have found that certain estates are not as accommodating as others. Branding people as poachers instead of engaging them i believe is loutish behaviour. I believe as the saying goes a converted poacher to game keeper is worth two in the bush.

Last edited by Sfinn; 05-06-2009 at 14:31.
Advertisement
05-06-2009, 14:45   #10
BryanL

Quote:
Originally Posted by jwshooter View Post

If a mature stag is worth €200 then why dump 2?

Is trophy hunting a valuable revenue or is no money made from it?

And whats the benefit to most Irish people of these monster stags? There are no managed estates in the very south of the country and there is still enjoyable shooting and stalking.
I could care less about the revenues of large estates, maybe if lord hawhaw wasn't been subsidized these large estates would be turned over to the public, like the recent national park purchase?
Bryan
Thanks from:
05-06-2009, 15:01   #11
stevoman

Quote:
Originally Posted by cavan shooter View Post
Can you imagine the field day ICABS etc is going to have
look how quick they were on this story.........

http://www.banbloodsports.com/
05-06-2009, 15:17   #12
Sparks
Category Moderator

That seems to be a different story stevoman (it's the one about the NWPS rangers allegedly/actually organising commercial hunts).
12-06-2009, 11:36   #13
jwshooter

Send a message via Yahoo to jwshooter
were the carcasses of the deer that were dumped and removed ,boned out does any one know.

and the offal was it just grallochs and skins
12-06-2009, 12:01   #14
thedragon

Just wondering,is this the same Paul woods that writes for the Shooters Digest. Ill be very disapointed if it is. That a good point JW,this man could be made to look worse than he actually is. Were the carcasses boned out,does anyone know.

Last edited by thedragon; 12-06-2009 at 12:08.
12-06-2009, 13:04   #15
Grizzly 45

From the Galway Indo report..
"Two headless carcasses and five bags of guts,bones,hair and other remains"

One other point of law..If somone recives a custodial sentence,suspended or otherwise over 30 days,that also means a loss of your firearms certificate[s]???

Last edited by Grizzly 45; 12-06-2009 at 13:08.

Quick Reply
Bold
Italic
Underline

Insert Image
Wrap [QUOTE] tags around selected text

Decrease Size
Increase Size
Please sign up or log in to join the discussion