Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Abandoned places in Dublin

• 20-04-2009 5:48pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 2 irishexplorer

Hi, I'm new to this site and i'm just wondering does anyone know of any good sites where i can find pictures of abandoned places in the Dublin area. I'm a photography student looking to get some pictures of derelict places but its hard to find any.....Any help would be appreciated!

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 41 Irelandseye2010

Hi, I'm new to this site and i'm just wondering does anyone know of any good sites where i can find pictures of abandoned places in the Dublin area. I'm a photography student looking to get some pictures of derelict places but its hard to find any.....Any help would be appreciated!

You will find a vast selection here

Enjoy!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,048 ✭✭✭RoryW

alternatively hang around Dail Eireann during the summer, Christmas and Easter and it will be fairly abandoned :D

RoryW wrote: »
    alternatively hang around Dail Eireann during the summer, Christmas and Easter and it will be fairly abandoned :D

Ha hahahahahaha brilliant but fairly true! The country is falling apart!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2 irishexplorer

You will find a vast selection here

Enjoy!

thanks for the link, that site is really cool i can't believe there's so many places listed on it, gonna have to track down a few of them myself for some pictures!

how did you manage to find that many??? the only places i knew of were Dun Laoghaire Baths and a couple of others...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,350 ✭✭✭doolox

......there is an extraordinary triangular site consisting of a car park on gravel, a garage and valeting service operating out of a shipping container and the ruins of what looks like 18th century houses with their roofs caved in and ready to fall.
    I have noticed more than one property like that in the north inner city area.
    The council should take them over and put them to good use.
    We will find with the glut of housing in Ireland in general that deriliction of property will return to plague us as it did in the frugal 80's and earlier times.
    It does nothing to improve the spirits of residents and workers of neighbouring properties which have to suffer their presence.
    Parts of Dublin are now in very good condition and have come on in leaps and bounds since the boom years.
    As a nation we need to keep the momentum going but I fear short termism will dominate our political thinking.

• Advertisement

doolox wrote: »
    ......there is an extraordinary triangular site consisting of a car park on gravel, a garage and valeting service operating out of a shipping container and the ruins of what looks like 18th century houses with their roofs caved in and ready to fall.
    I have noticed more than one property like that in the north inner city area.
    The council should take them over and put them to good use.
    We will find with the glut of housing in Ireland in general that deriliction of property will return to plague us as it did in the frugal 80's and earlier times.
    It does nothing to improve the spirits of residents and workers of neighbouring properties which have to suffer their presence.
    Parts of Dublin are now in very good condition and have come on in leaps and bounds since the boom years.
    As a nation we need to keep the momentum going but I fear short termism will dominate our political thinking.

I agree, I was cycling down mount street the other day and the number of office buildings that are to let is unbelievable. And irishexplorer myself and my friends have been into urbex stuff for years and have compiled a big collection of explores, we have a forum to as you can see..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,350 ✭✭✭doolox

I know in some towns in the 'States they slap a 5-10 percent tax on abandoned or unused buildings. Buildings with a good use attract lower rates of tax and charity or social uses such as churches pay little or no tax.
    In 10 to 20 years they end up owning the buildings if no one comes forward to pay the outstanding taxes by a process known as escheatment.
    Then the council can take over the buildings and put them to good use.
    It is amazing the price you have to pay for an average house or apartment in Dublin yet the fat cats can leave hundreds of square meters idle to the detriment of their neighbours quality of life.

doolox wrote: »
    I know in some towns in the 'States they slap a 5-10 percent tax on abandoned or unused buildings. Buildings with a good use attract lower rates of tax and charity or social uses such as churches pay little or no tax.
    In 10 to 20 years they end up owning the buildings if no one comes forward to pay the outstanding taxes by a process known as escheatment.
    Then the council can take over the buildings and put them to good use.
    It is amazing the price you have to pay for an average house or apartment in Dublin yet the fat cats can leave hundreds of square meters idle to the detriment of their neighbours quality of life.

wow that is mad, especially now in new orleans there is a lot of land left abandoned.

Does anybody know of good places to explore in Galway?

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 4,948 ✭✭✭pullandbang

Hi, I'm new to this site and i'm just wondering does anyone know of any good sites where i can find pictures of abandoned places in the Dublin area.

The old Semperit Tyre factory on Kileen Road in Ballyfermot is a derilict industrial building. Don't know if you're allowed in but hey....what the hell.

• Advertisement

The old Semperit Tyre factory on Kileen Road in Ballyfermot is a derilict industrial building. Don't know if you're allowed in but hey....what the hell.

Its been watched by the Rat Pack Thorntons across the road as well as Park West Security, Been tempted a long time now. lol

Its been watched by the Rat Pack Thorntons across the road as well as Park West Security, Been tempted a long time now. lol

All the more reason to go........

Should make the chase pics worth looking at :)

All the more reason to go........

Should make the chase pics worth looking at :)

jesus we have one or two of them.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 799 ✭✭✭Schlemm

how many places on that site can you actually visit? like has anyone been to any of these sites? I'd love to visit a few...specifically bolands mill...can you still get in there?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,514 ✭✭✭Sleipnir

http://www.abandonedireland.com/

Schlemm wrote: »
    how many places on that site can you actually visit? like has anyone been to any of these sites? I'd love to visit a few...specifically bolands mill...can you still get in there?

almost all of them! and yeah you can still get into bolands

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13 retroireland

its a lot harder to get into bolands than it used to be but its still possible yeah...

Bring your anti grease gloves :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13 retroireland

haha yeah...although i do know that more than one person has been able to get permission to get into bolands...someone took them around the entire complex...dont know who you'd have to contact with....

oh yeah i remember reading about that, some dude who lives in the apartements across from that place asked someone from the council. Something about a foxes heading stopping the door opening hahaha!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,502 ✭✭✭irlirishkev

The Iveagh Market in D8 is fairly derelict at this stage..

Great site btw.. having grown up in Greystones, I found the pages on Bennigans/La Touche very interesting, if a bit sad at the same time..

The Iveagh Market in D8 is fairly derelict at this stage..

Great site btw.. having grown up in Greystones, I found the pages on Bennigans/La Touche very interesting, if a bit sad at the same time..

I know the la Touche is such a fab building it is such a shame. there is some real potential there for a new hotel or some sort of leisure facility especially where it is situated! Thanks for the feedback on the site

• Closed Accounts Posts: 30 ~Becktron

haha yeah...although i do know that more than one person has been able to get permission to get into bolands...someone took them around the entire complex...dont know who you'd have to contact with....

I live near Bolands Mills.
    Not easy to get into now, alot of boarded up windows. Flashlights needed.
    And alot of the floors have been taken out.
    Their getting turned into more apartments so get there fast.

If you find out how they got permission let me know, I'm dying to get pictures inside it, or from the metal bridges on the top.
    I'll have to resort to getting in myself if I dont get permission.:rolleyes:

I drove past the old Lyons Tea factory on Davitt Road, Inchicore yesterday. They just had a big fire there and it looks pretty derelict.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 453 ✭✭seamus-2k7

There's the 'old mill' in swords, difficult to get to and all it is, is a half finished hotel or something, full of graffiti. Its a really great place go but you have to time your visit with the local scum in mind.

7CDD8298539E4445BDC3C220BC761CA4-800.jpg

613597465AFC465587FC34386CBA565B-800.jpg
    Some more on pix http://pix.ie/seamus-

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,407 ✭✭✭Quint

You can't get into the fort in the Phoenix Park. I tried, and there were people inside who must have had a rope or something.

• Quint wrote: »
    You can't get into the fort in the Phoenix Park. I tried, and there were people inside who must have had a rope or something.

It's possible alright,no rope needed,unless they're after putting up higher gates in the last few months :p

• Registered Users Posts: 31 dubl

does anyone know where this mansion located in Dublin? http://www.abandonedireland.com/Abandoned_Mansion.html

• Registered Users Posts: 482 ✭✭malene

Good page here, but expensive I would assume to rent. I know of one locations usued for group shoot, so all had to pay to cover cost.

http://www.photolocations.ie/photo-locations.html

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,761 ✭✭✭Effects

dubl wrote: »
    does anyone know where this mansion located in Dublin? http://www.abandonedireland.com/Abandoned_Mansion.html
    You can't trust his locations. He often says places are in a different part of the country so it's harder for other people to find them.

Advertisement