Boards.ie uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Click here to find out more x

20-04-2009, 17:48   #1
irishexplorer

Abandoned places in Dublin

Hi, I'm new to this site and i'm just wondering does anyone know of any good sites where i can find pictures of abandoned places in the Dublin area. I'm a photography student looking to get some pictures of derelict places but its hard to find any.....Any help would be appreciated!
Advertisement
20-04-2009, 21:08   #2
Irelandseye2010

Quote:
Originally Posted by irishexplorer View Post
Hi, I'm new to this site and i'm just wondering does anyone know of any good sites where i can find pictures of abandoned places in the Dublin area. I'm a photography student looking to get some pictures of derelict places but its hard to find any.....Any help would be appreciated!
You will find a vast selection here

Enjoy!
(2) thanks from:
20-04-2009, 21:10   #3
RoryW

alternatively hang around Dail Eireann during the summer, Christmas and Easter and it will be fairly abandoned
(4) thanks from:
20-04-2009, 21:14   #4
Irelandseye2010

Quote:
Originally Posted by RoryW View Post
alternatively hang around Dail Eireann during the summer, Christmas and Easter and it will be fairly abandoned
Ha hahahahahaha brilliant but fairly true! The country is falling apart!
21-04-2009, 00:35   #5
irishexplorer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Irelandseye2010 View Post
You will find a vast selection here

Enjoy!
thanks for the link, that site is really cool i can't believe there's so many places listed on it, gonna have to track down a few of them myself for some pictures!

how did you manage to find that many??? the only places i knew of were Dun Laoghaire Baths and a couple of others...
Advertisement
21-04-2009, 00:46   #6
doolox

Top of Parnell St and Capel St.

......there is an extraordinary triangular site consisting of a car park on gravel, a garage and valeting service operating out of a shipping container and the ruins of what looks like 18th century houses with their roofs caved in and ready to fall.
I have noticed more than one property like that in the north inner city area.
The council should take them over and put them to good use.
We will find with the glut of housing in Ireland in general that deriliction of property will return to plague us as it did in the frugal 80's and earlier times.
It does nothing to improve the spirits of residents and workers of neighbouring properties which have to suffer their presence.
Parts of Dublin are now in very good condition and have come on in leaps and bounds since the boom years.
As a nation we need to keep the momentum going but I fear short termism will dominate our political thinking.
21-04-2009, 09:27   #7
Irelandseye2010

Quote:
Originally Posted by doolox View Post
......there is an extraordinary triangular site consisting of a car park on gravel, a garage and valeting service operating out of a shipping container and the ruins of what looks like 18th century houses with their roofs caved in and ready to fall.
I have noticed more than one property like that in the north inner city area.
The council should take them over and put them to good use.
We will find with the glut of housing in Ireland in general that deriliction of property will return to plague us as it did in the frugal 80's and earlier times.
It does nothing to improve the spirits of residents and workers of neighbouring properties which have to suffer their presence.
Parts of Dublin are now in very good condition and have come on in leaps and bounds since the boom years.
As a nation we need to keep the momentum going but I fear short termism will dominate our political thinking.
I agree, I was cycling down mount street the other day and the number of office buildings that are to let is unbelievable. And irishexplorer myself and my friends have been into urbex stuff for years and have compiled a big collection of explores, we have a forum to as you can see..
Thanks from:
21-04-2009, 15:02   #8
doolox

Private property gone mad.

I know in some towns in the 'States they slap a 5-10 percent tax on abandoned or unused buildings. Buildings with a good use attract lower rates of tax and charity or social uses such as churches pay little or no tax.
In 10 to 20 years they end up owning the buildings if no one comes forward to pay the outstanding taxes by a process known as escheatment.
Then the council can take over the buildings and put them to good use.
It is amazing the price you have to pay for an average house or apartment in Dublin yet the fat cats can leave hundreds of square meters idle to the detriment of their neighbours quality of life.
21-04-2009, 15:11   #9
Irelandseye2010

Quote:
Originally Posted by doolox View Post
I know in some towns in the 'States they slap a 5-10 percent tax on abandoned or unused buildings. Buildings with a good use attract lower rates of tax and charity or social uses such as churches pay little or no tax.
In 10 to 20 years they end up owning the buildings if no one comes forward to pay the outstanding taxes by a process known as escheatment.
Then the council can take over the buildings and put them to good use.
It is amazing the price you have to pay for an average house or apartment in Dublin yet the fat cats can leave hundreds of square meters idle to the detriment of their neighbours quality of life.
wow that is mad, especially now in new orleans there is a lot of land left abandoned.
Advertisement
29-04-2009, 12:01   #10
Irelandseye2010

Does anybody know of good places to explore in Galway?
30-04-2009, 00:09   #11
pullandbang
Hosted Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by irishexplorer View Post
Hi, I'm new to this site and i'm just wondering does anyone know of any good sites where i can find pictures of abandoned places in the Dublin area.
The old Semperit Tyre factory on Kileen Road in Ballyfermot is a derilict industrial building. Don't know if you're allowed in but hey....what the hell.
30-04-2009, 00:12   #12
Irelandseye2010

Quote:
Originally Posted by pullandbang View Post
The old Semperit Tyre factory on Kileen Road in Ballyfermot is a derilict industrial building. Don't know if you're allowed in but hey....what the hell.
Its been watched by the Rat Pack Thorntons across the road as well as Park West Security, Been tempted a long time now. lol
30-04-2009, 13:12   #13
pullandbang
Hosted Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Irelandseye2010 View Post
Its been watched by the Rat Pack Thorntons across the road as well as Park West Security, Been tempted a long time now. lol
All the more reason to go........

Should make the chase pics worth looking at
01-05-2009, 23:27   #14
Irelandseye2010

Quote:
Originally Posted by pullandbang View Post
All the more reason to go........

Should make the chase pics worth looking at
jesus we have one or two of them.
07-05-2009, 15:40   #15
Schlemm

how many places on that site can you actually visit? like has anyone been to any of these sites? I'd love to visit a few...specifically bolands mill...can you still get in there?

Quick Reply
Bold
Italic
Underline

Insert Image
Wrap [QUOTE] tags around selected text

Decrease Size
Increase Size
Please sign up or log in to join the discussion