Boards.ie uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Click here to find out more x

11-03-2009, 03:02   #1
tonkpills

Send a message via MSN to tonkpills Send a message via Skype™ to tonkpills
Windows Live Mail Ireland POP Server working

When Microsoft announced that they will be rolling out the Windows Live POP servers in various countries, I decided to set my iPhone up with the settings but didn't get any mail because Microsoft didn't activate Ireland yet but to my delight today at around 5pm I got mail woo!!

Settings for iPhone:

Incomming Mail Server:
Hostname: pop3.live.com
Username: whatever@live.com
Password: yourpasswordhere
Use SSL: Yes
Authentication: Password
Server Port: 995

Outgoing Mail Server:
SMTP: smtp.live.com

Also these settings will work in any mail client eg. Thunderbird & Outlook etc.

Let me know if these work or is it just my luck
(2) thanks from:
Advertisement
11-03-2009, 03:16   #2
Captain Morgan

Put in the settings on my iPod Touch there and was getting an error. I saved them anyway and it seems to be working now.

Don't seem to be able to check the mail from your filters like you can on gmail though.
11-03-2009, 03:20   #3
Captain Morgan

Just sent a test email there from my gmail account to my live one but doesn't seem to be coming through on my iPod.

*Edit* Came through with a slight delay.
11-03-2009, 05:17   #4
mcguyver

does imap work?
12-03-2009, 00:12   #5
Blackdragon

Im not having any joy on my n95 8gb just yet - will keep playing around with it though
Advertisement
12-03-2009, 01:30   #6
Captain Morgan

Have this set up on my 5800 now too.
12-03-2009, 23:42   #7
Blackdragon

Up and running on my N95 now
13-03-2009, 00:06   #8
Professey Chin
In control.......

Finally
Thanks for the heads up
04-04-2009, 15:12   #9
paul.irl

SMTP settings as per the initial post don't seems to work. Anyone any idea why I can't send mail? Incoming mails ware received without issue. Using Outlook Express. Ay help with be appreciated.

Am using mobile broadband to access mail. That is hardly an issue, right?
Advertisement
04-04-2009, 15:42   #10
Rsaeire

Quote:
Originally Posted by paul.irl View Post
SMTP settings as per the initial post don't seems to work. Anyone any idea why I can't send mail? Incoming mails ware received without issue. Using Outlook Express. Ay help with be appreciated.

Am using mobile broadband to access mail. That is hardly an issue, right?
Generally you need to use your ISP's outgoing (SMTP) mail server, e.g. Eircom = mail1.eircom.net, to send mail. This also applies when you're using a mobile operator as your ISP such as O2, 3 etc.
04-04-2009, 17:45   #11
Mr.S

Bout time!
24-08-2009, 18:09   #12
jawlie

I ahve just got a Meteor broadband to go and put the outgoing mail server to "mail.mymeteor.ie" or "mail1.mymeteor.ie" but neither seem to work with Outlook Express. i can receive mail ( mail server "mail2.eircom.net") but can't send. Does anyone have any ideas how I can send mail via my Eircom email using outlook express and Meteor broadband to go ?
24-08-2009, 19:09   #13
Rsaeire

Quote:
Originally Posted by jawlie View Post
I ahve just got a Meteor broadband to go and put the outgoing mail server to "mail.mymeteor.ie" or "mail1.mymeteor.ie" but neither seem to work with Outlook Express. i can receive mail ( mail server "mail2.eircom.net") but can't send. Does anyone have any ideas how I can send mail via my Eircom email using outlook express and Meteor broadband to go ?
Unfortunately Meteor's mail service is crippled, as they have an outdated email setup. If mail.mymeteor.ie does not work for you, you could try Eircom's SMTP server, "mail1.eircom.net". If this still doesn't work, try contacting Meteor's broadband support team on 1800 333 085 to see if they have a solution.
25-08-2009, 12:16   #14
TheIrishGrover

Could someone explain the benefit of this please?

I'm a bit of a thicko. I currently have a Nokia 5800 and use nokia mail if I wished to check my hotmail on the mobile. I get nokia mail to scan for new mails and receive the headers and then chose to read the mails on the phone or not.

What is the benefit of this new POP forwarding? Is it so I can chose to use other mail clients to receive the mails? (And, if so, any recommendations as the Nokia Mail is a bit pants)

I mean, can I receive alerts on mails etc?

(I'm with Meteor Billpay BTW)

Cheers for the info folks and thanks for the headsup OP (My own header came off a bit abrupt)
25-08-2009, 13:16   #15
Rsaeire

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheIrishGrover View Post
I'm a bit of a thicko. I currently have a Nokia 5800 and use nokia mail if I wished to check my hotmail on the mobile. I get nokia mail to scan for new mails and receive the headers and then chose to read the mails on the phone or not.

What is the benefit of this new POP forwarding? Is it so I can chose to use other mail clients to receive the mails? (And, if so, any recommendations as the Nokia Mail is a bit pants)

I mean, can I receive alerts on mails etc?

(I'm with Meteor Billpay BTW)

Cheers for the info folks and thanks for the headsup OP (My own header came off a bit abrupt)
The benefit of Microsoft allowing POP access to Windows Live Hotmail users for free is because previously you had to have a premium, i.e. paid for, Windows Live Hotmail account. Now you can setup the email client on your handset, Outlook or any other email client manually, with the settings in the first post, and access your emails without having to pay a thing.

Nokia mail allows the setup of Windows Live Hotmail accounts within the application, as far as i'm aware, since Microsoft allowed free POP access to those accounts. If Microsoft did not allow free POP access, then I imagine Nokia mail would require users to have a Windows Live Hotmail premium account in order to set it up.

Quick Reply
Bold
Italic
Underline

Insert Image
Wrap [QUOTE] tags around selected text

Decrease Size
Increase Size
Please sign up or log in to join the discussion