Boards.ie uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Click here to find out more x
Thread Closed  

22-02-2009, 21:07   #1
maclek

[Article] Music-swapping sites to be blocked by internet providers

http://www.sbpost.ie/post/pages/p/st...782-qqqx=1.asp

Quote:
Irma has identified Pirate Bay, the world’s biggest file swapping website, as the first site that it will seek to have blocked. It will then move on to ‘‘similar websites’’.
Advertisement
22-02-2009, 22:13   #2
PogMoThoin

"similar websites", there are thousands, they gonna block access to google as well?
(2) thanks from:
22-02-2009, 22:17   #3
wheresmybeaver

Yay, now they're moving onto blocking websites with questionable content. I believe I have a basic right to unfiltered network access, after all that's what I assume I pay for. That should cover the entire internet imho. I am totally jumping ship if Eircom starts this kind of bull.

Where does it stop? Will IRMA then look at streaming radio websites? Sure they provide music FOR FREE! They can't allow that kind of thing to go on! It's a slippery slope, as they say.
22-02-2009, 22:29   #4
fryup

i know the argument........"the likes of u2 and madonna are loaded who cares"..........but remember its the people down the line who gets pinched.....i.e. the aspiring artists, small music labels, record stores etc

There is no two ways about it.......if its copyrighted then you should pay for it.
22-02-2009, 22:47   #5
kaizersoze

The case against Pirate Bay itself doesn't seem to be going too well.

http://www.guardian.co.uk/technology...e-bay-internet
Advertisement
22-02-2009, 22:53   #6
Donald-Duck

Quote:
Originally Posted by wheresmybeaver View Post
Yay, now they're moving onto blocking websites with questionable content. I believe I have a basic right to unfiltered network access, after all that's what I assume I pay for.
No you don't. They can block you going onto any website they want.
22-02-2009, 22:55   #7
dunworth1

will they block youtube as well
22-02-2009, 22:56   #8
dunworth1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Donald-Duck View Post
No you don't. They can block you going onto any website they want.
how do they have the right to do this
22-02-2009, 23:01   #9
Cabaal
Ultra Running Mod

MOD NOTICE

Thread unlocked.

However a few rules which people will get banned if they breech, standard Charter and Boards.ie also apply:

- DO NOT link to sites that contain copyright material as per boards rules
- This is not a thread to discuss were to obtain copyright material
- Boards.ie is not here to give info on how you can break your ISP's T&C's

Keep this thread on topic, its about ISP's blocking sites and IRMA's attempts to get ISP's to do this..

It is not about Eircom and the recent agreement they've made to handle reported downloading of copyright material.....if you wish to discuss this go here....off-topic posts will be deleted

Personally I would suggest you go along the lines of eff.org in relation to freedom of access and censorship from your ISP, I believe this is likely the best way to fight this.

Cabaal,

Last edited by Cabaal; 23-02-2009 at 08:39.
(2) thanks from:
Advertisement
23-02-2009, 08:38   #10
Cabaal
Ultra Running Mod

Quote:
Originally Posted by wheresmybeaver View Post
I believe I have a basic right to unfiltered network access, after all that's what I assume I pay for. That should cover the entire internet imho. I am totally jumping ship if Eircom starts this kind of bull..
There really is no basic right or human right in respect of this, you are paying for a internet connection and you agreed to T&C's and network policy when you subscribed to this service.

Basically if its covered by T&C's that eircom can do this then its perfectly legal, if however it is not presently covered then Eircom would need to update their T&C's first.

If IRMA get all ISP's to apply this then jumping from eircom won't make a bit of difference
23-02-2009, 09:11   #11
Cabaal
Ultra Running Mod

I am curious how IRMA would like Eircom to block sites, one would assume the easiest way of doing so would be by blocking it on their DNS servers but a fair number of people on boards.ie have switched to the likes of OpenDNS so that won't stop them I'd imagine.

I guess the only way we'll know is when they start blocking The Pirate Bay,
23-02-2009, 09:31   #12
towel401
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cabaal View Post
I am curious how IRMA would like Eircom to block sites, one would assume the easiest way of doing so would be by blocking it on their DNS servers but a fair number of people on boards.ie have switched to the likes of OpenDNS so that won't stop them I'd imagine.

I guess the only way we'll know is when they start blocking The Pirate Bay,
Even if they tried any other way Tor would still work. bastards
23-02-2009, 09:38   #13
ionix5891

As I said before this is a slippery slope

If you are an Eircom customer, switch tell them they suck, they quickly change their minds once stupid decisions not based on legal precedent backfire on them and shave their profit margins

If your isp is threatened, contact the media! The IRMA are acting like a mafia racketeering organisation, once you give in to these people thats it your screwed

Whats there to stop them blocking sites like youtube or bebo? plenty of copyrighted material there, actually i hope they are stupid enough to do that, once little Mary cant polish up her profile and listen to the latest chart ****e heads will roll
23-02-2009, 09:42   #14
Cabaal
Ultra Running Mod

Quote:
Originally Posted by ionix5891 View Post
Whats there to stop them blocking sites like youtube or bebo? plenty of copyrighted material there, actually i hope they are stupid enough to do that, once little Mary cant polish up her profile and listen to the latest chart ****e heads will roll
They won't block these sites as they are largely seen as legit sites which operate within the law, the pirate bay and others are largely seen to operate outside of the law
23-02-2009, 09:52   #15
vibe666

Send a message via ICQ to vibe666 Send a message via MSN to vibe666 Send a message via Skype™ to vibe666
there are so many different ways around every type of blocking they *could* implement it's not even funny.

if china can't block it's citizens from accessing forbidden sites then i don't see that it will be any different here.

people may not be very aware of the ways and means to get around these things but trust me that as soon as stuff people want access to is blocked, they'll start to get very creative and methods of circumventing whatever blocks are in place will be come common knowledge.

and then you have the quagmire of European law to get though if you want to stomp on peoples freedoms on a large scale. i don't see them getting very far either way.
Thread Closed