Boards.ie uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Click here to find out more x

19-02-2009, 08:17   #1
BrenCooney

Aldi generator

Quick question,
has anybody bought the small generator from Aldi and if so have they used and, what did they think of it. I was looking at them yesterday and noticed that they are run using a small two-stroke engine. our leisure battery is not the best and i'm looking at using a small generator for backup in the wilds.

BrenC
Advertisement
19-02-2009, 09:48   #2
Malta1

Hi Bren

Havnt seen them and dont know anybody that has one

My first thought however is "2 Stroke" is as smelly as it gets......the smell of the fumes from 2 stroke machines (eg mopeds, garden strimmer/weed eaters etc) in my opinion is terrible

Malta1
19-02-2009, 11:01   #3
macnab

i have one, they are cheap nasty things, if they are left lying up any length they wont start, then the pull cord jams LOL, you get what you pay for, steer clear of this Chinese rubbish, buy a 4 stroke honda or any other known brand IMO.
19-02-2009, 22:07   #4
BrenCooney

thanks all. I was thinking the same but just checking that i wasnt missing the sale of the decade.

BrenC
19-02-2009, 22:28   #5
connel42

zig unit

One point that I learned from a few experienced people in the Camper trade.
If you want a to use a generator make sure it is a good one as the cheap ones have a large varience in power delivery and can very easily damage your zig unit.
Advertisement
21-02-2009, 20:52   #6
yardeyar
Banned

RE: Generator.

Hi, I bought a Aldi or Lidl (cant remember which shop we bought it) 2200w Generator a few years ago and stuck it in the Garage of our motorhome, it worked very well, we went to UK, France, Spain, Portugal, Italy, Austria, Germany with it for nearly three months, used it every day, twice a day and no problem. On a later trip in UK the pull cord came away, when I got home I rang Aldi or Lidl and they sent me out a new pull cord mechanism free of charge as there is a three year warranty with them. My friend has a Honda 2000w Generator and it work perfect too but he only got a year warrenty. So I would recommend you to buy it. YEAH!
21-02-2009, 22:32   #7
niceirishfella

Quote:
Originally Posted by yardeyar View Post
Hi, I bought a Aldi or Lidl (cant remember which shop we bought it) 2200w Generator a few years ago and stuck it in the Garage of our motorhome, it worked very well, we went to UK, France, Spain, Portugal, Italy, Austria, Germany with it for nearly three months, used it every day, twice a day and no problem. On a later trip in UK the pull cord came away, when I got home I rang Aldi or Lidl and they sent me out a new pull cord mechanism free of charge as there is a three year warranty with them. My friend has a Honda 2000w Generator and it work perfect too but he only got a year warrenty. So I would recommend you to buy it. YEAH!
There ya go!
23-02-2009, 06:13   #8
macnab

Quote:
Originally Posted by yardeyar View Post
Thats a different genny, the one they have now is only 700w or something like that. I usually have no problem with Aldi/Lidl gear but the small genny is poor quality and of limited use due to small output.

Quick Reply
Bold
Italic
Underline

Insert Image
Wrap [QUOTE] tags around selected text

Decrease Size
Increase Size
Please sign up or log in to join the discussion