Boards.ie uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Click here to find out more x

16-02-2009, 17:04   #1
Farls

Send a message via ICQ to Farls Send a message via AIM to Farls Send a message via MSN to Farls Send a message via Yahoo to Farls Send a message via Skype™ to Farls
Buying a Mini Digger 4ton or less

Hi all,

I'm currently in the market for a mini digger, ideally a 4ton I think would suit, possibly a bit less.

I am looking for some comments on what make/model to go for and what to expect to pay, I have a budget up to 15k but would prefer to spend 10k or less if I could! I know about the auctions etc but haven't had time to go to any of them as of yet.

At the moment I'm looking at the hitachi ex40's and 30's and I'm hearing a lot about Yanmars? Anyone any experience or advice on where to look/buy?

I'm looking at the 01-03 models, rubber tracks, blade, low hours and well maintained ie. no x hires.

Cheers
Advertisement
16-02-2009, 21:16   #2
Jonty

Don't forget to look at kubota diggers. Stay away from Komatsu mini diggers.
17-02-2009, 09:50   #3
Farls

Send a message via ICQ to Farls Send a message via AIM to Farls Send a message via MSN to Farls Send a message via Yahoo to Farls Send a message via Skype™ to Farls
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jonty View Post
Don't forget to look at kubota diggers. Stay away from Komatsu mini diggers.
I have an eye on them as well, what would be the 'best in class' though? I see a lot of teckna's I think they are called, bit like an ursus tractor I'm taking it?!
20-02-2009, 20:15   #4
J.C.BAMFORD

Takeuchi mini diggers are supposed to be one of the best out there at the moment. Try fwww.farmandplant.ie, some decent looking machines on there. If your going to be travelling any bit of distance at all, make sure you have two-speed tracking, but that is generally standard on machines that are fairly new.
05-03-2009, 21:26   #5
carrielou

Buying a Mini Digger

Folks, can ye tell me if you are going to buy a mini digger how can you check that there is no outstanding hire purchase finance on the machine. Also how can you check that it is not stolen. Thanks
Advertisement
06-03-2009, 02:51   #6
Puncell

yip,

keep away from komatsu, and cat.too dear anyway....

in my opinion you wont go too far wrong with either a yanmar, hanix or tacucchi....
i have a hanix and its a nmighty machine.....i wanted a yanmar but this machine just came along at the right time and shes sweet....
06-03-2009, 09:56   #7
Farls

Quote:
Originally Posted by Puncell View Post
yip,

keep away from komatsu, and cat.too dear anyway....

in my opinion you wont go too far wrong with either a yanmar, hanix or tacucchi....
i have a hanix and its a nmighty machine.....i wanted a yanmar but this machine just came along at the right time and shes sweet....
Where would the hitachi's rate in there?

Is there any known problem area's I should be lookin for/at when I go to look about a machine?

I'll have a man that has drove diggers all his life with me but just in case!

Cheers
06-03-2009, 09:59   #8
JohnBoy

from what little I know from hiring them a few times and talking to the hire dudes the takeuchi is supposed to be one of the best.

The guy I've hired from the last few times reckons the hanix are one of the worst (sorry puncell, only passing on what I've heard from a dude who's opinion I've come to trust)

But that said I've hired a hanix once or twice and had no complaints.
07-03-2009, 03:27   #9
Puncell

Quote:
Originally Posted by Farls View Post
Where would the hitachi's rate in there?

Is there any known problem area's I should be lookin for/at when I go to look about a machine?

I'll have a man that has drove diggers all his life with me but just in case!

Cheers

Hitachis are up there with the best but lad, you'll pay for them and parts are a wee bit more expensive.
Basically with CAT,and Hitachi - your paying for the name.
Advertisement
07-03-2009, 03:39   #10
Puncell

a couple the important things that should be checked when checking out a mini are.

The undercarrage - this is underneath the cab - the swivel point, need to inspect this for any cracks or has it been welded - and if it was welded was it welded correctly, this is a big thing so have a good look at this.
Diggers that are abused and used for lifting heavy loads weith chains or too heavy loads may have damage here.

The engine - the usual things to watch out for here.
if your going to look at one, tell them on the phone first not too have the engine running or warm before you get there, ie. you want to hear it start from cold. check for back-pressure on the engine also.

The tracks - check for wear on both the tracks and the rollers - tracks are expensive and could cost anything from €400 up to wateva you want to pay...

A good selection of buckets with good teeth.
Thanks from:
07-03-2009, 14:08   #11
Farls

Priceless advice there Puncell, cheers.

I see nobody has mentioned JCB's or Volvo's here either?
14-03-2009, 20:34   #12
eddiemc5

hey, i'm in the market for a mini digger as well. need a 4 tonne machine or similar. Would i pick up a relativley new machine for 8 or 9k ??? Thanks
15-03-2009, 06:28   #13
Puncell

4 tonne 8-9 K, expect to get something around a 97 or 98.....but not many yanmars out there at that price for that money......plebty of komatsus!doh

youd get an older yanmar for that money though...better job
15-03-2009, 19:51   #14
Scober11

Mate of mine has a Volvo and thinks its great, they would have hired a lot of different makes and models before making a decision yet they never hired a Volvo so make of that what you will!
16-03-2009, 10:02   #15
Farls

Like Puncell said, better buy a bit older but an overall better machine. I still haven't purchased yet. Waiting for another auction to come up at the end of this month and I'm keeping an eye on autotrader, buy and sell, the dealer and mascus.com. For 8 or 9k I wouldn't be expecting anything > 00 though, I'm aiming for the same money myself but it will have to be a gud deal!!

Quick Reply
Bold
Italic
Underline

Insert Image
Wrap [QUOTE] tags around selected text

Decrease Size
Increase Size
Please sign up or log in to join the discussion