Boards.ie uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Click here to find out more x
Post Reply  
 
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
16-02-2009, 15:20   #1
robio
Registered User
 
robio's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2003
Posts: 46
BMW M3 E46 - Running/Service costs

Hi All,

I am currently in the market for an e46 m3 and was hoping to get some info regarding running costs and servicing.

I am currently looking at a 04 with approx 66k miles on the clock.

Just wondering if anyone has price information for various services, extending the warranty, your avg mpg etc.

I rang Frank Keane BMW and was given an estimate for a basic service €300 + VAT and for inspection 2 which is due after 60k: €1300 + VAT.

This car was just serviced so i presume inspection 2 was already done. I'll check the service history to confirm.

They couldn't check the warranty as they need the chassis number, which i don't have but i'm sure the garage i would be potentially buying from would have the warranty info. Otherwise i can just get the chassis number. Also said you can only renew if it is currently under warranty??

No idea if those prices are expensive or not but have been told to expect the services to be expensive on an M3.

I would be grateful for your feedback, recommendations etc.
robio is offline  
Advertisement
16-02-2009, 15:41   #2
Eoin
Moderator
 
Eoin's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2004
Posts: 17,580
Lots of good posts on www.bmw-driver.net/forum - there's a thread about MPG on it at the moment actually - people getting up to 30 something on a motorway trip.

There are also some good independents around, if you're not too concerned about having non-franchised stamps in the log book. AC Cars are great.

I may be wrong, but I think this is the type of car where it's handy to have some cash in reserve for servicing. When things do need fixing, it does seem to cost.

Edit - there is a cracking example for sale for an excellent price, if you check the classifieds section on the BMW site I linked to above.
Eoin is offline  
16-02-2009, 15:42   #3
Ferris
Registered User
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 1,689
I wouldn't go to a BMW main dealer if it was out of warranty, there are plenty of BMW specialists around that would take care of the car for probably 2/3 of the price that Frank Keanes are quoting. Tyres are going to be another big expence along with fuel and some of the guys (Cyrus and Jimbling?) here have M3's and would be able to give you a better idea of costs. Tax as you probably know is the killer at 1600quid of course.
Ferris is offline  
16-02-2009, 15:49   #4
Cyrus
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jan 2003
Location: Blackrock, Dublin
Posts: 7,890
Quote:
Originally Posted by robio View Post
Hi All,

I am currently in the market for an e46 m3 and was hoping to get some info regarding running costs and servicing.

I am currently looking at a 04 with approx 66k miles on the clock.

Just wondering if anyone has price information for various services, extending the warranty, your avg mpg etc.

I rang Frank Keane BMW and was given an estimate for a basic service €300 + VAT and for inspection 2 which is due after 60k: €1300 + VAT.

This car was just serviced so i presume inspection 2 was already done. I'll check the service history to confirm.

They couldn't check the warranty as they need the chassis number, which i don't have but i'm sure the garage i would be potentially buying from would have the warranty info. Otherwise i can just get the chassis number. Also said you can only renew if it is currently under warranty??

No idea if those prices are expensive or not but have been told to expect the services to be expensive on an M3.

I would be grateful for your feedback, recommendations etc.
basic service he refers to is an oil service, main cost of this is the oil which most dealers charge €160+ for, i got my oil from opie oils in the uk for €70 when the rates were good pays to shop about.

Unless the car is under warranty id go for a good independent over a dealer for servicing, AC Cars as mentioned or Chelmsford Motors (Gary was a bmw mechanic in murphy and gunne for a long time).

Oil service with your own oil should only cost 1-2 hrs labour, the inspections are more expensive due to the number of checks but costs can be mitigated by buying the spark plugs and other parts yourself.

other expensive jobs are Rear trailing arm bushing (common enough over 50k check if it has been done), snapped springs (rear), brake discs and pads are pricey, any sort of repairs to an smg (the auto box if you are going for it) will cost ya.

got a link to the car you are looking at?
Cyrus is offline  
16-02-2009, 15:52   #5
Ferris
Registered User
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 1,689
I'd imagine its this one:

http://www.carzone.ie/search/BMW/M3/...1834222/advert
Ferris is offline  
Advertisement
16-02-2009, 15:58   #6
Cyrus
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jan 2003
Location: Blackrock, Dublin
Posts: 7,890
nice colour and spec, red leather would be nice tho

miles are a little big but if it has had a lot of tidy up work done that could be a good thing, either that or it will cost you a lotta money over the next 24mths!
Cyrus is offline  
16-02-2009, 15:59   #7
GUNIT
Registered User
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Posts: 3
Would you not just think about going down a model.... 330ci has loads of poke (235bhp) but more economical and service cost should be cheaper. Mate of mine has a nice 320SE (black) its fully kitted and drives nice 35-40Mpg with tax @ 800€...

Plus it would seem the re-sale value of the M3 is been hit hard in the UK.. Might be the same here.
GUNIT is offline  
16-02-2009, 16:05   #8
Cyrus
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jan 2003
Location: Blackrock, Dublin
Posts: 7,890
Quote:
Originally Posted by GUNIT View Post
Would you not just think about going down a model.... 330ci has loads of poke (235bhp) but more economical and service cost should be cheaper. Mate of mine has a nice 320SE (black) its fully kitted and drives nice 35-40Mpg with tax @ 800€...

Plus it would seem the re-sale value of the M3 is been hit hard in the UK.. Might be the same here.
to be fair there is absolutely no comparison between an m3 and a 330ci

if someone wanted a 320ci id be urging them to go for the 330ci as tax aside running costs are similar but noone who wants an m3 will be happy with a 330
Cyrus is offline  
16-02-2009, 16:07   #9
Eoin
Moderator
 
Eoin's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2004
Posts: 17,580
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cyrus View Post
to be fair there is absolutely no comparison between an m3 and a 330ci

if someone wanted a 320ci id be urging them to go for the 330ci as tax aside running costs are similar but noone who wants an m3 will be happy with a 330
Plus the re-sale value of the M3 being hit hard is a good thing for people in the market for one.
Eoin is offline  
Advertisement
16-02-2009, 16:15   #10
robio
Registered User
 
robio's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2003
Posts: 46
Hi Cyrus the link Ferris posted was the latest one i was looking at alright.
Test driving it tomorrow

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ferris View Post
I'm after the engine as well as the looks so thats why I'm after an M3 not a 330ci.
Fuel costs don't really put me off (i probably would only cover 8000 kilometers a year anyway) but its handy to know all the costs I'm getting into.

Last edited by robio; 16-02-2009 at 16:21.
robio is offline  
16-02-2009, 16:17   #11
Eoin
Moderator
 
Eoin's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2004
Posts: 17,580
Check out this 03 one.
http://bmw-driver.net/forum/vbfclass...-kiwi-interior
Eoin is offline  
16-02-2009, 16:29   #12
Cyrus
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jan 2003
Location: Blackrock, Dublin
Posts: 7,890
Quote:
Originally Posted by eoin View Post
here it is if you arent registered on bmw drivers

well maintained car from what i know of it and lower mileage, i have the same colour combo and it works really well.

http://www.adverts.ie/showproduct.ph...=85715&cat=all
Cyrus is offline  
16-02-2009, 16:38   #13
TheBazman
Registered User
 
TheBazman's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Posts: 4,219
what about this one....

http://www.driving.ie/usedcars/index...&carID=1325255

Probably "da" best looking M3 in the world...not!
TheBazman is offline  
16-02-2009, 16:44   #14
robio
Registered User
 
robio's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2003
Posts: 46
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cyrus View Post
here it is if you arent registered on bmw drivers

well maintained car from what i know of it and lower mileage, i have the same colour combo and it works really well.

http://www.adverts.ie/showproduct.ph...=85715&cat=all
thats nice alright

Last edited by robio; 16-02-2009 at 16:48.
robio is offline  
16-02-2009, 17:46   #15
Eoin
Moderator
 
Eoin's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2004
Posts: 17,580
If you're not sure about the kiwi interior - make sure you see it in person. It works much better than you might think. Cinammon is my favourite though.
Eoin is offline  
Post Reply

Quick Reply
Message:
Remove Text Formatting
Bold
Italic
Underline

Insert Image
Wrap [QUOTE] tags around selected text
 
Decrease Size
Increase Size
Please sign up or log in to join the discussion

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search



Share Tweet