Boards.ie uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Click here to find out more x

11-02-2009, 16:04   #1
newtoboards

How to improve a BER rating?

Got a BER assessment carried out and the guy rang back to tell me that we were at a D1 level and we would have to do something to get it up to the expected C level our house should be at for the time it was built (2003-2005, builder very very slow). So what can we do that would be cost effective to change the results to a C? We have energy saving bulbs everywhere except in one light fixture above the bathroom mirror in the main bathroom (strip light).
Advertisement
11-02-2009, 16:18   #2
Cadzer

as far as im aware the BER has nothhing to do with low watt bulbs. Its a rateing of how good your house to keep warm. Example if you have single grazing window and you put in double grazing then your BER rating will increase. Same a roof insalation , solor panel etc!
11-02-2009, 16:25   #3
newtoboards

The bulbs definitely matter. There is supposed to be enough insulation in the attic according to the building regulations. The guy said something about falling between two age bands in the house and that affecting things but I don't see an age band affecting the house. I won't be doing anything expensive, i.e. anything that costs thousands but less than a thousand and I wouldn't mind. As you can probably guess from the age of the house we have double glazing as standard. It's a house in an estate, semi-detached.
11-02-2009, 17:14   #4
Disco Bandit

Quote:
Originally Posted by newtoboards View Post
The bulbs definitely matter. There is supposed to be enough insulation in the attic according to the building regulations.
building regulations are minimum standards. they can almost always be approved.

300mm of well put down mineral wool batts is optimum.

test the effects that changes make on DEAP before you commit.
look heating controls and a +97% efficient boiler.
11-02-2009, 17:33   #5
sinnerboy
Closed Account

Quote:
Got a BER assessment carried out and the guy rang back to tell me that we were at a D1 level and we would have to do something to get it up to the expected C level our house should be at for the time it was built (2003-2005, builder very very slow). So what can we do that would be cost effective to change the results to a C? We have energy saving bulbs everywhere except in one light fixture above the bathroom mirror in the main bathroom (strip light).
The BER assessor must advise . He has seen the building no one else here has ( unless he posts here ) . That's what you are paying him for . This is the very reason to get a BER assessment - unless you are getting one only because "you have to" at point of sale / letting

If you assessor can't give you reasonable cost vs benefit proposals - get another assessor

Last edited by sinnerboy; 11-02-2009 at 17:38.
Advertisement
11-02-2009, 17:50   #6
sinnerboy
Closed Account

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cadzer View Post
as far as im aware the BER has nothhing to do with low watt bulbs.
Low energy lighting is an aspect of BER
11-02-2009, 18:58   #7
topcatcbr

Quote:
If you got the BER cert you should get an Advisary report also as standard. This should give you an idea where to start. Also your assessor should also be able to give you a table of improvements with each improvement starting from lowest cost/most effective to highest cost/least effective. This may not of been included in origonal price but should not cost much more. You should be able to determine what you need to do to improve your rating from this and then get prices based on this amount of work.

Give him a call and ask for his advise. He may not be aware that you require this as most are getting certs just to comply with Co Co or Solicitor requests and are only interested in the cert and not interested in doing any improvements.

By there is no pass or fail with this. You do not need to be a C rating. Your home should be at this rating to comply with building regs at the time of building but the BER has nothing to do with this on a second hand home. It is there primarily to provide information to buyer or tennants of dwellings.

Last edited by topcatcbr; 11-02-2009 at 19:03. Reason: Removing the word legaly.
Thanks from:
11-02-2009, 19:12   #8
topcatcbr

By the way it sould not take much to go from a D1 to a C3. Maybe some added attic insulation will do it.

Why dont you apply for the new grants which have come on stream. You would also qualify for up €200 off your BER cost.

See link -> HERE
11-02-2009, 19:18   #9
Joey the lips
Stealing Hugs Chasing Kisses

Quote:
Hi NTB

As part of the orig assement you can purchase an additional report from your BER inspector as to how to raise the standard of your house. It might seem like a bit of a con but its like getting an electrician out to certify the house. He will certify the house but then charge you for the full report as to how to improve it.

It's worth getting cause when you think of it you can then get re certified (I think it cost's less- as the BER inspector is only checking you carried out the work suggested) No other BER inspector can go against the original one.

I would appreciate if you keep me informed about this I am gloing down this road at the moment ie applying to be an inspector!
Advertisement
12-02-2009, 08:51   #10
wall2wall

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joey the lips View Post
Hi NTB

As part of the orig assement you can purchase an additional report from your BER inspector as to how to raise the standard of your house. It might seem like a bit of a con but its like getting an electrician out to certify the house. He will certify the house but then charge you for the full report as to how to improve it.

It's worth getting cause when you think of it you can then get re certified (I think it cost's less- as the BER inspector is only checking you carried out the work suggested) No other BER inspector can go against the original one.

I would appreciate if you keep me informed about this I am gloing down this road at the moment ie applying to be an inspector!

Joey,

You've got that wrong about purchasing an additional report. Topcat is right, all certs come with an advisory report that I personally sit down with all my clients when I'm giving them a cert and go through the advisory report and what they can do to improve the rating. I also tell them that they can come back to me if they do make improvements and I will do up a new cert with evidence of work that has been done. Obviously this will be cheaper than the original fee because I've alraedy got most of my information.
12-02-2009, 08:57   #11
wall2wall

NTB,
The quickest and cheapest way to improve your rating is by upping your attic insulation and putting a damper on the chimney if you have one. Increase controls on your heating, timeclock, room stats, cylinder stat, cylinder insulation, trv's. The new government grant scheme has a minimum spend of i think €400 or €500 (I could be wrong on that amount). Apparently it's only worth going for if you are spending a few grand. You should get your attic insulated for less than €400. I got two layers of 200mm fibreglass in mine recently for €300.
12-02-2009, 08:59   #12
Joey the lips
Stealing Hugs Chasing Kisses

Hi Folks sorry if I have gotten it wrong on the call back cert it was what I was told but I am not an inspector so app your feedback setting me straight. can the inspectors give us an idea of true cost of becoming a ber inspector bearing in mind you can quote specific companies unless you pm me the detail.

Thanks
12-02-2009, 09:23   #13
newtoboards

We're selling (fingers and toes crossed while I type that) so it's an obligation rather than a home improvements thing. We had a look at the insulation in the attic last night and although there's stuff between the joists, there's none over the joists so off to hardware store with us to lay down an extra layer. I also saw the water tank isn't insulated, would that help??? As we're selling I hope we're not hanging around so long that we avail of the grant and as our house is newish I don't know if it would qualify? We have a chimney balloon but no damper and I don't know what that is. Sent a mail to the assessor yesterday evening and awaiting a response on feedback. Thanks for the responses
12-02-2009, 10:26   #14
clint_eastman

Quote:
Originally Posted by topcatcbr View Post
By the way it sould not take much to go from a D1 to a C3. Maybe some added attic insulation will do it.

Why dont you apply for the new grants which have come on stream. You would also qualify for up €200 off your BER cost.

See link -> HERE
Maybe slightly off topic, but what rating should I be expecting from a house built to regs in 2000?
12-02-2009, 10:35   #15
topcatcbr

Quote:
Originally Posted by clint_eastman View Post
Maybe slightly off topic, but what rating should I be expecting from a house built to regs in 2000?
It should be a D2 min but could perform much better C1 depending on type of dwelling and features. Get an assessment done.
Thanks from:

Quick Reply
Bold
Italic
Underline

Insert Image
Wrap [QUOTE] tags around selected text

Decrease Size
Increase Size
Please sign up or log in to join the discussion