Boards.ie uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Click here to find out more x

09-02-2009, 13:33   #1
Tadhg17

Citylink re-open Galway-Limerick-Cork bus route

Citylink have re-opened their Galway-Limerick-Cork bus route except now it goes on to UCC and Cork Airport. 90 mins from Galway-Limerick.

Timetable:
http://www.citylink.ie/timetable-galw2cork.htm

http://www.citylink.ie/medrel_9.htm
04/02/09)

Irish Citylink re-commences Cork – Galway Route

Following many appeals from passengers, Citylink Ireland are planning to re-commence scheduled Coach services between Galway City and Cork City from Wednesday 4th February 09, three months after they suspended operations on this route.

The number of daily services to operate daily will be reduced from 13 to 8 but will offer through access, for the first time ever, to Cork Airport. Some of the revised scheduled services will suit commuters who prefer to have an early start to their journey, while the other service times are designed to suit normal inter-City passengers. All will have the added advantage of a significant reduction in journey time.

Citylink Ireland were always conscious, and greatly appreciative, of the support they received from the travelling Public throughout the West and South of Ireland and are pleased to have received approval from the Department of Transport for the re-commencement of services on this route. We look forward to rewarding that support by offering a high class safe and comfortable passenger facility.
Advertisement
09-02-2009, 13:42   #2
Mrs OBumble

Anyone know why they stopped for a few months, and then re-started? Sounds to me like the perfect way to lose customer loyalty.

Impressive though, 3.5 hours from Galway to Cork.
09-02-2009, 14:04   #3
Roy Rogers

AFAIK, they closed the route because they were losing money on it. Why it took them til now to figure out that maybe running fewer services would be a more sensible approach, I don't know.

Glad that it's back though, beats Bus Eireann into the ground.
09-02-2009, 14:06   #4
GerardKeating

Send a message via ICQ to GerardKeating Send a message via AIM to GerardKeating Send a message via MSN to GerardKeating Send a message via Yahoo to GerardKeating Send a message via Skype™ to GerardKeating
Quote:
Originally Posted by Roy Rogers View Post
AFAIK, they closed the route because they were losing money on it. Why it took them til now to figure out that maybe running fewer services would be a more sensible approach, I don't know.

Glad that it's back though, beats Bus Eireann into the ground.
Not unless you live in Bunratty or Ennis, which they no longer serve.

The closed the route because DoT withdrew a fuel tax rebate.

Last edited by GerardKeating; 09-02-2009 at 14:08.
09-02-2009, 14:17   #5
Roy Rogers

Ah didn't notice that they'd dropped those stops. Makes no bones to me, to be honest, I'd always be going to Limerick, but annoying for anyone in those places alright.
Advertisement
09-02-2009, 14:30   #6
LadyMayBelle

So theyre bypassing Ennis? ah crap for me:-(
09-02-2009, 14:45   #7
Deadly Delta

Nice one Citylink!

Quote:
Originally Posted by LadyPennyworth View Post
So theyre bypassing Ennis? ah crap for me:-(

I think this is a great idea. Bus Éireann already has an hourly service to Ennis.
This knocks over an hour off the journey, which is a god send if you go need to go to Cork regularly like me!
09-02-2009, 16:13   #8
Shaniev

nice one I go down to Limerick alot so this is good for me! I was on the website there does anyone know the prices to Limerick by any chance?
09-02-2009, 16:19   #9
Mars Bar

I took this from Limerick to Galway on Thursday night, was the only one on the bus but it was great skipping Ennis and Shannon! I'm dead glad it is back!
Advertisement
09-02-2009, 22:26   #10
KevR

I think that trains from Galway to Limerick on the Western Rail Corridor (when it opens) will be slower than the City Link services. Crazy really and the train will probably be more expensive..

I could well start using Cork Airport from time-to-time with the introduction of this bus service. I fly from Dublin or Shannon to England usually - never considered Cork because no buses and 4 hrs 25 mins on Bus Eireann to Cork City + a taxi journey to the Airport.

City Link will do Galway to Cork Airport in 3 hrs 30 mins. I regularly take the bus to Dublin Airport and that takes 3 hrs 15 mins. Only a 15 minute difference so flying from Cork is definitely a possibility for me now.
09-02-2009, 23:01   #11
Tadhg17

Quote:
Originally Posted by KevR View Post
I think that trains from Galway to Limerick on the Western Rail Corridor (when it opens) will be slower than the City Link services. Crazy really and the train will probably be more expensive..

I could well start using Cork Airport from time-to-time with the introduction of this bus service. I fly from Dublin or Shannon to England usually - never considered Cork because no buses and 4 hrs 25 mins on Bus Eireann to Cork City + a taxi journey to the Airport.

City Link will do Galway to Cork Airport in 3 hrs 30 mins. I regularly take the bus to Dublin Airport and that takes 3 hrs 15 mins. Only a 15 minute difference so flying from Cork is definitely a possibility for me now.
I have read the train will probably be 1 hour 45 mins from Limerick-Galway so Citylink will definitely be quicker and knowing IE the train will probably be expensive. Pity they could'nt do a proper job on the rail route as opposed to a crappy re-lay.

defo worth checking out flights from Cork Airport now with the Citylink route as there aint much difference compared to going to Dublin. Less stress than going through Dublin airport too. Keep in mind flights from Shannon though, always cheap from there to the UK.
10-02-2009, 00:11   #12
Xiney

I just wish City Link went to Sligo - then I could stop giving Bus Eireann any of my money altogether.
10-02-2009, 10:37   #13
KevR

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tadhg17 View Post
Keep in mind flights from Shannon though, always cheap from there to the UK.
I always try and get Shannon over Dublin. The trouble a lot of the time is I only go to England on a day trip. It's difficult getting flights over and back on the same day from Shannon (unless you're going to London). Can always get day return flights from Dublin to the likes of Manchester, Birmingham, Leeds, Liverpool etc.

Will definitely be looking into Cork though.

PS - Ryanair are cutting flights from Shannon soon so it will be even harder to get viable day returns.
10-02-2009, 10:44   #14
snubbleste

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xiney View Post
I just wish City Link went to Sligo - then I could stop giving Bus Eireann any of my money altogether.
There are other providers namely Feda O'Donnell
10-02-2009, 11:48   #15
toiletduck

Great stuff, and bypassing Ennis? Sweet.

Quick Reply
Bold
Italic
Underline

Insert Image
Wrap [QUOTE] tags around selected text

Decrease Size
Increase Size
Please sign up or log in to join the discussion