Boards.ie uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Click here to find out more x

21-01-2009, 21:22   #1
mayordenis

Mod: WIT, ZTest
beer league

I think we should make up 4 divisions with 20 beers in each, and sticky it obviously with each division being a marker for the type of quality etc.
mostly because I think it would be fun but also for anyone who wants to get a few names in one quick link, I also think it would just be a good aul beer debate anyway I'll just show an example of what I'm on about (and the beers in this are only some of my opinions, and of course "good beer" is subjective)

Prem:
Liefmans Goudenband
Maredsous 8
Gueze Boon
Mc Chouffre
Westmalle Triple

Champ
Fraziskaner
Watou's Wit
Goose Island Indian Pale Ale
Chimay
Duvel

League 1
Erdinger
Hoegaarden
Leffe Blonde
Sam Adams
Brooklyn ale

League 2
Guinness
Innis & Gunn
Spitfire
Budvar
Beamish Red

Non league
Bud
Ken
Carlsberg
Dutch
Miller
Stella
Coors (soft bastards)
Amstel
Tuborg
Harp
essentially any "beer" falvoured fizzy ****
Advertisement
21-01-2009, 21:31   #2

good idea, but for everyone the top leagues would be different, non league for yours is accurate though
Thanks from:
21-01-2009, 21:53   #3
mayordenis

Quote:
Originally Posted by JIZZLORD View Post
good idea, but for everyone the top leagues would be different, non league for yours is accurate though
couldn't agree more that's why it could make for some good debate - maybe I'm talking ****e but I reckon it would be fun if you had even just 5/10 people or whoever talking over the finer points of different beers and why the merit being higher up or why relegation is looming.
say for me Hoegaarden for quite a while was my beer of choice literally my favourite, but look where I have it because after getting more into heavy stronger beers I go back to it and find it really lacking in anything etc. etc.
21-01-2009, 23:07   #4
BeerNut

I think Guinness Extra Stout makes League 1, but Guinness Draught is deffo non-league. It takes a lot of work to make a stout that bland.

Keeping it to Irish-brewed beers permanently available here, I reckon I'd have:

Prem
Clotworthy Dobbin
Galway Hooker
Guinness Special Export
O'Hara's Stout (bottled)
Wrassler's XXXX

Champ
Belfast Ale
Brainblásta
Friar Weiss
Guinness Foreign Extra
MM Plain
Porterhouse Plain

League 1
Blarney Blonde
Guinness Extra Stout
MM Rusty
Murphy's
O'Hara's Red
O'Hara's Stout (draught)
Oyster Stout
Porterhouse Red

League 2
Beamish Red
Curim
Macardle's
Mao Lager
MM Weiss
Rebel Red
Shandon Stout
Temple Brau
TSB

Non-league
Amstel
Beamish Stout
Belfast Lager
Bud
Carlsberg
Chiller
Coors Light
Fosters
Guinness Draught
Harp
Heineken
Hersbrucker
Kilkenny
Miller
MM Haus
Rebel Lager
Smithwick's
Thanks from:
21-01-2009, 23:36   #5
mayordenis

Quote:
Originally Posted by BeerNut View Post
Keeping it to Irish-brewed beers permanently available here, I reckon I'd have
Brilliant stuff, While Galway Hooker has never really hit the spot for me there's plenty to go on there, and I think it's mostly fair.
I think Brainblásta would definately be there or there abouts for being in the top league and Guinness Draught as said is doomed to mix it with the other mass-market brain-washed drivel.

I must own up to having a soft spot for kilkenny I don't know why I think it's probably because after work when I get home my roommate sometimes has them in the fridge so I've convinced myself I like it.

I would also have to add that I find O'Hara's red lacking in everything but then I suppose you have put it in League 1 - while a pint of beamish red in cork for me is quite drinkable.
Advertisement
21-01-2009, 23:45   #6
BeerNut

What helped me put it together was imagining bringing a beer fan from abroad around my haunts. Which beers would I be proud to say: "Drink this, it's Irish", which would be "They make this, it's OK", and which "That one's at your own risk: be warned".

I don't drink much O'Hara's Red so it was hard to place. I have a bottle in the cupboard. I may relegate it after I drink that.

I did a blind tasting on Kilkenny and Beamish Red once and they are definitely not in the same league. I cannot distinguish a single flavour in Kilkenny: I think it is Ireland's blandest beer. But if it's free...
21-01-2009, 23:54   #7
mayordenis

Quote:
I did a blind tasting on Kilkenny and Beamish Red once and they are definitely not in the same league. I cannot distinguish a single flavour in Kilkenny: I think it is Ireland's blandest beer. But if it's free...
Haha oh god I didn't mean to come across as though I thought kilkenny was ever close to beamish red,
On reflection I should of maybe made more sense by saying that Kilkenny is still a fairly sizeable step away from the likes of bud, but then again that's no great compliment, and that for me I'd take a beamish red over many of the drinks on the list.

But 100% that is how I would love to see people rating there beers a really good way to look at it.

I'm going to lash into the galway hooker in the Bierhaus this weekend because I don't think I've given it a fair crack of the whip.
24-01-2009, 16:31   #8
johnnyskeleton
Moderate

Quote:
Originally Posted by mayordenis View Post
I think we should make up 4 divisions with 20 beers in each, and sticky it obviously with each division being a marker for the type of quality etc.
mostly because I think it would be fun but also for anyone who wants to get a few names in one quick link, I also think it would just be a good aul beer debate anyway I'll just show an example of what I'm on about (and the beers in this are only some of my opinions, and of course "good beer" is subjective)

Prem:
Liefmans Goudenband
Maredsous 8
Gueze Boon
Mc Chouffre
Westmalle Triple

Champ
Fraziskaner
Watou's Wit
Goose Island Indian Pale Ale
Chimay
Duvel

League 1
Erdinger
Hoegaarden
Leffe Blonde
Sam Adams
Brooklyn ale

League 2
Guinness
Innis & Gunn
Spitfire
Budvar
Beamish Red

Non league
Bud
Ken
Carlsberg
Dutch
Miller
Stella
Coors (soft bastards)
Amstel
Tuborg
Harp
essentially any "beer" falvoured fizzy ****
GUINNESS AT THE BOTTOM? No mention of Staropramen, Spaten? You'll never get any kind of consensus here.
24-01-2009, 16:53   #9
Saruman

Quote:

I don't drink much O'Hara's Red so it was hard to place.
I was disappointed with the red, especially after tasting their stout. In fact, once im done with the Budvar i will go have my last bottle Need to shift the cat though, she decided now was the time to cuddle.

Its still a very nice beer though. Compared to Kilkenny its like Ambrosia.

Last edited by Saruman; 24-01-2009 at 21:48.
Advertisement
24-01-2009, 17:02   #10
BeerNut

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnnyskeleton View Post
GUINNESS AT THE BOTTOM?
Personally I can't think of a blander stout. Can you?

And I had a bottle of O'Hara's Red from the shelf last night and stand by its position in League Division 1: it has a wonderfully full body and crystal malt character that puts it well ahead of my Division 2 ales.
24-01-2009, 19:28   #11
johnnyskeleton
Moderate

Quote:
Personally I can't think of a blander stout. Can you?
What stouts would you consider better? For a start, it completely depends on where you get the Guinness - some places are great others are dire. I get the impression that you're referring to some "Farmer Joe's Drop o' the Pure" type rare stout that they only make 500 bottles of every 10 years, but to be honest, I've never had a nicer stout than Guinness.

Quote:
And I had a bottle of O'Hara's Red from the shelf last night and stand by its position in League Division 1: it has a wonderfully full body and crystal malt character that puts it well ahead of my Division 2 ales.
O'Hara's is nice, but it's no rebel red.
25-01-2009, 02:36   #12
BeerNut

Quote:
What stouts would you consider better?
All of them except Beamish, which I can't tell from Guinness. Any stout served on nitro tastes of nearly-nothing. That's the point of nitro.

Quote:
For a start, it completely depends on where you get the Guinness - some places are great others are dire.
I find some are tasteless, some are dire. What does great Guinness taste of to you?

Quote:
I get the impression that you're referring to some "Farmer Joe's Drop o' the Pure" type rare stout that they only make 500 bottles of every 10 years, but to be honest, I've never had a nicer stout than Guinness.
My mainstream stout of choice is O'Hara's, from the bottle, at room or cellar temperature -- lovely dry roasted barley character on a heavy body. Of the nitro draughts I think the chocolate malt in Murphys gives it a sweet flavour which is a big advantage over the no-flavour of draught Guinness. Guinness Foreign Extra has a lovely sour woody taste and the thicker texture which puts it several steps ahead of draught Guinness.

No farmers. No purity. Just flavour.

And still no answer to my question: which stouts would you consider blander than Guinness?
25-01-2009, 02:41   #13

gotta have lech in there somewhere!
25-01-2009, 09:45   #14
Saruman

On the matter of Guinness (on tap), yes it is very bland compared to some other stouts.
On the other hand, i was staying at the Bewleys Hotel Dublin Airport and the Munster game was on (they won). After Dinner (with wine) we went to the bar and I ordered a Kilkenny. It goes down easy but there is little to no flavour. So i ordered a Guinness next and the difference in flavour was immediate. The Guinness was packed with a roast yumminess compared to the Kilkenny. Now maybe the Guinness at the bar was just a very good pint but i think if you compare Guinness to other blander beers then yes, it will seem like a champion beer.

However if you compare it to other stouts or porters that are more flavoursome then you will notice a difference and not consider Guinness to be all that great.
O' Haras would be way up there in my opinion, Its certainly the best i have ever had. I have heard great things about the porterhouse Wrasslers XXXX so i must have that some time.

As for Lech, it is drinkable but i would not put it higher than League 2 and personally i might include in the non-league.
It is probably like the Polish version of Miller or Bud, a mass produced "premium" beer that is ok but not worth mentioning. I had one last week so it is pretty fresh in my memory and what i remember was not worth remembering so to speak.
25-01-2009, 14:40   #15
johnnyskeleton
Moderate

Quote:
I find some are tasteless, some are dire. What does great Guinness taste of to you?
There's a wide variety of pints, but the best pints are either creamy or have a strong bitter taste. While all stouts have a particular distinct taste, I like the taste of guinness better than most. Perhaps this is due to my upbringing, but that's how it goes.

Some views expressed here.

Quote:
My mainstream stout of choice is O'Hara's, from the bottle, at room or cellar temperature -- lovely dry roasted barley character on a heavy body. Of the nitro draughts I think the chocolate malt in Murphys gives it a sweet flavour which is a big advantage over the no-flavour of draught Guinness. Guinness Foreign Extra has a lovely sour woody taste and the thicker texture which puts it several steps ahead of draught Guinness.
Never had O'Hara's stout, but will give it a go. Murphys in Dublin is awful and has a nasty aftertaste. Murphys is Cork is alright but doesn't have the same strength of flavour as Guinness. Sour woody taste sounds good for a whiskey, but for a stout I'm not so sure.

Quote:
And still no answer to my question: which stouts would you consider blander than Guinness?
Murphys & beamish are a poor man's guinness. Porterhouse oyster & chocolate truffle stout might have a more striking flavour, but that in no way makes them better. Midleton must seem very bland compared to Laphroaig, but I'd take the Midleton any day of the week, so having strong flavours counts for little if that flavour isn't pleasant.
(3) thanks from:

Quick Reply
Bold
Italic
Underline

Insert Image
Wrap [QUOTE] tags around selected text

Decrease Size
Increase Size
Please sign up or log in to join the discussion