Boards.ie uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Click here to find out more x

27-12-2008, 13:59   #1
Gordon

Safety Razors

Sorry, I don't have a beard or hat, can I still post a question?!

I was reading this thread about razor prices and some helpful chappie mentioned good proper safety razors like Merkurs.

Does anyone here use one of these? I use the 3/4 blade razors and am fed up with paying the exorbitant costs of them and am wondering if I should invest in a proper razor like this. Is it a scratchy shave with one of these things? Do you need to change the blade every day or so? How good is the shave compared to a 3/4 blade Gillette type thing?

ta
Advertisement
28-12-2008, 00:56   #2
Dord

Haven't used one but I'd say it might be good. It's closer to a cut-throat razor in it's design.

Personally I prefer less blades. I still use a Gillette Sensor Excel (2 blades) and it does a great job. I've tried all the other 3, 4 and 5 blade ones and found them useless as they just get clogged constantly during shaving.
Thanks from:
29-12-2008, 17:38   #3

Thier Issard single blade

lads , the Thier Issard straight blade made from carbon steel , google it, one blade for life, also excellent for your skin and the envirobleedinment aslo no waste or replacement parts ever requirment,
bomus plus women love men to use them
29-12-2008, 17:45   #4
Fajitas!

Send a message via Skype™ to Fajitas!
I've been looking at safety razors myself lately.

Gordon, check out http://connaughtshaving.com/ - They seem to have a fairly good range, and are fairly well reccommended across any other forums I've stumbled upon.

The Euro's strength at the moment makes it all the more practical. Blades are very very cheap, but you're going to have to get a decent brush too. Looks like the way to go.
03-01-2009, 02:10   #5
Bambi

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gordon View Post
Sorry, I don't have a beard or hat, can I still post a question?!

I was reading this thread about razor prices and some helpful chappie mentioned good proper safety razors like Merkurs.

Does anyone here use one of these? I use the 3/4 blade razors and am fed up with paying the exorbitant costs of them and am wondering if I should invest in a proper razor like this. Is it a scratchy shave with one of these things? Do you need to change the blade every day or so? How good is the shave compared to a 3/4 blade Gillette type thing?

ta

I just got a late christmas present of a merkur with a sample pack of various brands of razors that's big enough to start an emo holocaust. Given that I'm a martyr to razor burn I'll let ye know how i get on.
(2) thanks from:
Advertisement
03-01-2009, 20:20   #6
Jip

I've been using a Merkur for the last year or so and I'll never return to a multi bladed system, although my first ever shave was with a double edged Wilkinsion. The shaves are much closer and enjoyable and of course the replacement blades are a hell of a lot cheaper.
Give yourself time to get used to them though as there is a learning curve associated with them but after a while you'll be flying with nary a scratch on your face. The shave, when you're used to it, is very smoth and in my experience the blades last longer than the other expensive rubbish.
05-01-2009, 15:58   #7

DE Safety Razors beat everything else I've tried hands down, although I've not yet tried a cut throat and never will too chicken. There is a learning curve and you should take care when getting started. The idea behind these razors is hair reduction so a number of passes is required. For me I find two passes with the grain and one across sufficient, I generally don't bother going against the grain. My only problem is that I find it takes longer to shave, but it might just be the case that I am being too careful.
05-01-2009, 16:56   #8
MediaTank

Quote:

ta
Yes, every day Depending on the blade and how tough your beard is you'll get 5 to 10 shaves from a single blade. I'd recommend the Merkur Progress as a great razor to start with. Also, get a sample pack of blades and a brush and some soap or real shaving cream.

The shave is much better that with a multiblade razor, but there is a bit of a learning curve. No scratching or ingrown hairs. Check out mantic59 on YouTube for a tutorial.
(3) thanks from:
05-01-2009, 18:17   #9
Gordon

I think I will, thanks everyone. I bought a really cheap one from Boots the other day and the shave seems closer but of course the first time I shaved I cut the f*ck out of my face! I'm going to invest in a proper one with a range of blades and nice shaving foam.

I used to use the shaving oil a few years ago which was quite nice, would anyone recommend using that with the safety razors?
Advertisement
05-01-2009, 21:32   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by zen15 View Post
lads , the Thier Issard straight blade made from carbon steel , google it, one blade for life, also excellent for your skin and the envirobleedinment aslo no waste or replacement parts ever requirment,
bomus plus women love men to use them

I prefer a stainless steel Dovo myself but if you know how to use it you can't get a better shave than a cutthroat and as has been mentioned already, they last forever.
06-01-2009, 02:21   #11

Just to ad to this-I've taken the plunge and bought myself a Merkur Progress
http://www.shaving-shack.com/shop/pr...cat=142&page=3
From here and once you spend over 9.99 you get another 30 DE blades with it.
In total I was charged 37 euro for it delivered!! Awaiting delivery now, so fingers crossed!!
I decided to invest in the Progress because it is one of a few of the Merkurs that you can adjust. I've read previous reviews on people who start back with the DE shaving, and most seem to keep their original razor-so i thought it'd be best to invest now!!
Got to go out and find some proper shaving cream-really can't wait to get back to the enjoyment of shaving.
Im only 22 but enjoy it-specially when you can devote some time to it!
I'll report back as soon as it arrives
06-01-2009, 09:57   #12
MediaTank

Quote:
Originally Posted by chicken_food View Post
Just to ad to this-I've taken the plunge and bought myself a Merkur Progress
The Progress is a great razor and one I'd also recommend. If you are in to Method Shaving then then this is the razor to own.
06-01-2009, 09:58   #13
MediaTank

Quote:
I think I will, thanks everyone. I bought a really cheap one from Boots the other day and the shave seems closer but of course the first time I shaved I cut the f*ck out of my face! I'm going to invest in a proper one with a range of blades and nice shaving foam.

I used to use the shaving oil a few years ago which was quite nice, would anyone recommend using that with the safety razors?
Go for the Merkur Progress. Shaving oil is OK but can clog the razor up. A badger hair brush and some quality shaving cream or soap is what you need.
Thanks from:
08-01-2009, 11:04   #14
noby

Just sent off my order to Connaught. No brushes, but I should be able to pick one up locally.
08-01-2009, 11:06   #15
MediaTank

Quote:
Originally Posted by noby View Post
Just sent off my order to Connaught. No brushes, but I should be able to pick one up locally.
Try this guy www.irishbarber.com

Quick Reply
Bold
Italic
Underline

Insert Image
Wrap [QUOTE] tags around selected text

Decrease Size
Increase Size
Please sign up or log in to join the discussion