Boards.ie uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Click here to find out more x

08-12-2008, 20:17   #1
The_Dazzler

The wezz

Seeming as it was mentioned on the other thread,

I was wondering was it ias bad as it was made out to be by the papers etc.
I thought when that article came out in the Sunday World ages ago.It was taking a pot shot at people in d4 etc(because it is a working class newspaper)

The disco I used to go to in Leitrim was far worse, in the toilets we had knackers from Longford snorting yolks(no offense to normal Longford people), People from different GAA areas fighting,sexual intercourse happening in the disco.plenty of drinking before hand too.

So does the Wezz really deserve the bad name it gets?

Edit:Took the name out to stop trouble.Sorry mods
Advertisement
08-12-2008, 20:19   #2
electro~bitch

[snorting yolks([/QUOTE]

Snorting them?!?! Never seen that before
08-12-2008, 20:20   #3
The_Dazzler

I seen a lot of weird things happen in that disco.
08-12-2008, 20:22   #4
ironictoaster

According to my 14 year old cousin, It's a posher version of teenage kicks that SPIN 103.8 host in the leisure plexes.
08-12-2008, 20:24   #5
eVeNtInE
o_O

Wezz does have a bad name from what I've heard. I knew a few people from Dublin who went to it whenever it was on and they were discussing it one night and apparently people go at it outside in the bushes and there have been some stabbings there too. Not sure if they were exaggerating though or what, although the general vibe I get from people who I know that live in Dublin is that it's not the friendliest place to go...

Our local teen disco has a bit of a reputation too. People get drunk before going into it and then start getting frisky in the chairs around the hall too! Went to it a few times myself and got a bit sick of it all tbh and stopped going.....

Edit:
Seeing some of the posts here it looks like the guys I knew were prone to exaggeration after all....
Advertisement
08-12-2008, 20:24   #6
Piste

Nah the Wezz is actualy grand (granted I've only ever been to "Back 2 Wezz", which is the older version). Sure there are a couple of drunken messes (usually girls) but the same could be said of any club/pub in Dublin. Those pictures of girls that were taken in the Sunday World were of the people so drunk that they didn't get it, and weren't representative of the type of people who actually get in there at all. Like most events, people just go there to have a good time.

At baby Wezz they even have a lollipop lady to help people who are really drunk cross the road!
08-12-2008, 20:24   #7
tribulus

The Wes had nothing on a couple of discos I went to in Clare. Very reserved in comparison.

Course I'm fookin ancient now (23) so maybe it's all changed!
08-12-2008, 20:26   #8
Piste

Quote:
Originally Posted by creggy View Post
According to my 14 year old cousin, It's a posher version of teenage kicks that SPIN 103.8 host in the leisure plexes.
The "Teenage Kicks" disco (or "Spin" as all the 13 year olds call it) is like a younger version of Wezz. It really goes:

1st year- Spin
2nd/3rd Year- Baby Wezz
3rd/4th year- Old Wezz
5th year- Back to Wezz
6th year- Real pubs and Clubs.
08-12-2008, 20:27   #9
The_Dazzler

I have been in clubs from NY to Galway but never seen anything like I did in those teenage discos.To be honest though,it was the girls with low self confidence who were getting pissed and easy.I say they regret it now.Once you get the name of a slut,its hard to lose it
Advertisement
08-12-2008, 20:28   #10
electro~bitch

Quote:
Originally Posted by tribulus View Post
The Wes had nothing on a couple of discos I went to in Clare. Very reserved in comparison.

!
Enistymon or Lahinch by any chance? Coz they're still skang fests.
08-12-2008, 20:30   #11
Hellm0

Kind of regret not going to this place when I was a youth now that I hear reports of said debauchery. Wonder if they'd turn me away at the door these days? It's only statutory if you get caught...
08-12-2008, 20:31   #12
tribulus

One was in Kilkee, the other might have been Enistymon, can't remember fully I'm afraid.
08-12-2008, 20:33   #13
JC 2K3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Piste View Post
The "Teenage Kicks" disco (or "Spin" as all the 13 year olds call it) is like a younger version of Wezz. It really goes:

1st year- Spin
2nd/3rd Year- Baby Wezz
3rd/4th year- Old Wezz
5th year- Back to Wezz
6th year- Real pubs and Clubs.
I think I went to Spin twice in 2nd year. Then never went to any teen disco again...

I was so uncool

From seeing teens go there on buses and outside it, I'd say that in terms of teenagers getting drunk and girls wearing half nothing, it deserves its reputation. In terms of being eternally damaging and corrupting to teenagers, probably not.
08-12-2008, 20:35   #14
Piste

2nd year?! No we were far too cool for that carry on in second year. Baby Wezz was where it's at.

I only ever went to Wezz twice actually, both in 5th year.
08-12-2008, 20:41   #15
JC 2K3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Piste View Post
2nd year?! No we were far too cool for that carry on in second year. Baby Wezz was where it's at.
Heh, well we were hanging around with 1st year girls at the time.

My sister has actually gone through that exact progression that you've listed, apart from one intermediate phase, since apparently there's a "Third Year Wezz" these days....

Quick Reply
Bold
Italic
Underline

Insert Image
Wrap [QUOTE] tags around selected text

Decrease Size
Increase Size
Please sign up or log in to join the discussion