Boards.ie uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Click here to find out more x

27-11-2008, 14:21   #1
JP Liz

Acai Berry

anyone hear of this?
Advertisement
27-11-2008, 16:40   #2
litup

I think like most berries it has good anti-oxident properties, I don't know much more about it though.

I do know that I drink pomegranate and acai berry juice from time to time and it tastes damn good!
27-11-2008, 18:08   #3
EileenG

Much beloved by Gillian McKeith as a superfood,and I'm sure it has a high anti-oxidant rating, but it's so expensive that you are never going to get much value out of it. I've only ever tasted it dried, and I wasn't impressed, thought it had a rather metallic taste. You are probably better off buying mixed frozen berries or cranberries right now.
27-11-2008, 19:40   #4
El_Dangeroso

Apparently they contain 10,000 times the amount of anti-oxidants of other berries. Meh, I don't really believe anti-oxidants are all their made out to be.. there has been no evidence that the feeding of anti-oxidants have any more than a weak correlation to a slightly longer average lifespan. It's a chicken and egg scenario, I propose that people who age faster have the higher levels of oxidative stress, but that the lack of antioxidants will not cause the oxidative stress in the first place, nor prevent it most likely.

We are adaptable creatures and are perfectly capable of living healthily in lots of places on the planet. Places that usually have ready access to water, other animals and plants. Anything more is surplus to requirements.
12-01-2010, 15:41   #5
mrshappy

Hearing loads about this lately as a weight loss supplement - anyone tried it for this?
Advertisement
12-01-2010, 17:23   #6
EileenG

It's a con. It's a berry. That's it. If you eat it instead of doughnuts, it can help with weight loss. Eat it on its own, and it will have no effect on your weight.

It claims to have lots of anti-oxidants, but there is no proof that these have any indication on weight loss. It certainly has no other ingredients that promote weight loss in any way.

I find it interesting that there is a mega advertising campaign on, with endless amounts of spam (I get almost as many offers for acai berries as to add three inches to my penis) but there are no studies to show any beneficial effects from them.
(2) thanks from:
12-01-2010, 18:13   #7
Sapsorrow

I'm aout to start aproject using FRAP analysis to determine the actual antioxidant content of some fruit and veg so as to compare it to the claimed quantities, was gonna do cruciferous veg but might do acai and gogi out of curiosity now! hmm..
Will let ye know the results if I go for them.
12-01-2010, 19:00   #8
EileenG

Quote:
Originally Posted by khrystyna100 View Post
I'm aout to start aproject using FRAP analysis to determine the actual antioxidant content of some fruit and veg so as to compare it to the claimed quantities, was gonna do cruciferous veg but might do acai and gogi out of curiosity now! hmm..
Can't WAIT to see those.
12-01-2010, 19:10   #9
Sapsorrow

Quote:
Originally Posted by EileenG View Post
Can't WAIT to see those.
I know it'd be deadly to know, I'll find out tomorrow if it's possible to analyse them.
Advertisement
12-01-2010, 23:15   #10
El_Dangeroso

Quote:
Oh. Oh. Oh, please do organic vs non-organic! Also maybe take into account sugar content which gobbles up anti-oxidants like they're going out of fashion. Please let us know the results!
12-01-2010, 23:44   #11
Sapsorrow

Lol I'll try I have to suggest it to my partner and lab technician first and see if they like the idea!
12-01-2010, 23:48   #12
EileenG

It's got lots of potential for publicity. There is so much rubbish about how acai berries will melt the fat off, that a bit of good research setting the record straight, should go into all the major newspapers.
12-01-2010, 23:55   #13
Sapsorrow

If the results were very unusual it would be published but FRAP analysis isn't the best method to use really, it's just the assay type we got assigned so have to work with it but the results wouldn't be as credible as they might be using some of the other methods.
13-01-2010, 00:00   #14
sesna
Banned

Quote:
If the results were very unusual it would be published but FRAP analysis isn't the best method to use really, it's just the assay type we got assigned so have to work with it but the results wouldn't be as credible as they might be using some of the other methods.
This could be your ticket to the big time
13-01-2010, 00:24   #15
Sapsorrow

Quote:
Originally Posted by sesna View Post
This could be your ticket to the big time
Lol ya groundbreaking stuff altogether! I'll let ye's know anyway if they're up for it, it'll take a few weeks to get it done and do the stats up anyway. I hate this crap, have to do a report, a review and a bloody powerpoint presentation on it at the end! As if doing exams isn't bad enough!

Quick Reply
Bold
Italic
Underline

Insert Image
Wrap [QUOTE] tags around selected text

Decrease Size
Increase Size
Please sign up or log in to join the discussion