Boards.ie uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Click here to find out more x
Thread Closed  

23-11-2008, 15:10   #1
spiceboy

VW Passat 05/06 new model - any problems?

Hi,

I am planning to buy a VW Passat 1.9 TDI with New Shape 2005 or 2006.
I have heard that there were callbacks for these models. And been told about some clutch problem.

Anybody please advise more about this.

thanks,
Advertisement
23-11-2008, 15:20   #2
PattheMetaller

I have an early '06 Comfortline 1.9 Tdi Passta of the new model. The only call back In had was for the cover of the wiper motor.

The fuel pump and turbo went and the dealership stated they were recogised faults in late '05 - early '06 models. I did here others complain about either the clutch or the gear box but can't remember which it was.

Runnig well since and good, spacious and comfortable car.
23-11-2008, 15:25   #3
mickdw

Fuel cooler on fuel return line was inclined to fall off causing fuel leakage so there was a recall for this and also a possible wiper motor problem, recalled also.

The dual mass fly wheel clutch is troublesome enough.
Fuel pump failure is common also
Ive also seen a few of the early one with front tyre wear issues from new.
23-11-2008, 15:30   #4
samhail

what kinda price you looking at can i ask ?
23-11-2008, 15:50   #5
badboyblast

I`d go with the 2 litre for the extra power, bought a 2 litre TDI sport in the UK last week, 37K on it, leather interior, 9100 STG, 4500 Euro to clear.
In great nick, very powerfull.

There seems to be a screw rolling around inside the dash somewhere.....wrecking my head!
Advertisement
23-11-2008, 16:03   #6
VolvoMan

Yes - early models were plagued with problems with one major one being the electronic parking brake.

If that doesn't bother you they are a nice, well finished car I suppose. That 1.9 TDI 'pump duse' engine is way behind the times though as regard to refinement and technology. It dates back a good 16 years at least and I simply cannot recommend it.
23-11-2008, 16:04   #7
badboyblast

Quote:
Originally Posted by VolvoMan View Post
Yes. Early models were plagued with problems with one major one being the electronic parking brake.

If that doesn't bother you though they are a nice, well finished car I suppose. That 1.9 TDI 'pump duse' engine is way behind the times as regard to refinement and technology. It dates back a good 16 years at least and I simply cannot recommend it.
Whats the craic with the electronic parking brake?
Was it failing? Would leaving the car in gear solve this?
23-11-2008, 16:10   #8
VolvoMan

Quote:
Originally Posted by badboyblast View Post
Whats the craic with the electronic parking brake?
Was it failing? Would leaving the car in gear solve this?
Rather than a conventional handbrake it is a lever mounted under the dashboard above the driver's right knee. Apparently it can fail to disengage and is quite a common problem on the early models.
23-11-2008, 16:50   #9
mickdw

Quote:
Originally Posted by VolvoMan View Post
Rather than a conventional handbrake it is a lever mounted under the dashboard above the driver's right knee. Apparently it can fail to disengage and is quite a common problem on the early models.
Have you ever sat in one of these cars. Your description of the handbrake makes it sound like something that would be fitted to a mercedes. Its certainly not a lever and i wouldnt say under the dash either. It an electronic control. No leverage involved. I dont think they are as troublesome as alot of people are saying.
Advertisement
23-11-2008, 17:08   #10
maidhc

Quote:
Originally Posted by mickdw View Post
Have you ever sat in one of these cars. Your description of the handbrake makes it sound like something that would be fitted to a mercedes. Its certainly not a lever and i wouldnt say under the dash either. It an electronic control. No leverage involved. I dont think they are as troublesome as alot of people are saying.
Indeed. It sounds like it is worked by a stepper motor or something.
23-11-2008, 17:19   #11
groupb

Or in the case of the 07' passat I had it did'nt work.
OP , why do you want a passat when there are so many far superior cars around for the same kind of money. The old shape mondeo,mazda 6 and honda accord spring to mind as three candidates.

Last edited by groupb; 23-11-2008 at 17:22.
23-11-2008, 17:58   #12
PattheMetaller

Quote:
The handbrake is push button beside the lights switch. I've never had any prblems with mine; is it just a case of people not being used to it?
23-11-2008, 18:05   #13
VolvoMan

Quote:
Have you ever sat in one of these cars. Your description of the handbrake makes it sound like something that would be fitted to a mercedes.
That's what it's like. An American style handbrake.
23-11-2008, 18:15   #14
Kaiser2000

Never had any issues with the parking brake in my 06 Comfortline either. Once you get used to it it's perfectly fine.. just remember that it won't disengage automatically with your seatbelt off and that's about it.

I have the Automatic 2L DSG version and it's a great gearbox - definitely would go for it over the 1.9 if you can OP as there's a world of difference between the two.

The only issue I'd have is that it will tend to roll back a little on a hill start even with the accelerator depressed (which my 02 Auto Passat didn't do!) and this can be a problem if you have some idiot right up your ass , but mine comes with "Auto Hold" which if not solves, then at least works around, this problem. The problem with Auto Hold though is the car will jerk a bit at low crawling speeds so you can find yourself turning it on and off a lot if you're crawling up a hill in traffic. The button is also rather awkwardly positioned to the left of the gear selector but I think it was moved to the other side in newer models. Both of these issues though aren't major.

Space wise it's probably one of the biggest in it's class.. massive boot, lots of room in the back (certainly when compared to the 06 A4 I was also considering at the time). The only issue I'd have is the rear visibility isn't great, so if you got one with parking sensors then better again, but failing that it's just a matter of getting familiar with the length/width of the car.

Cruise control is a godsend and you'll wonder how you managed without it if you do a lot of motorway driving. Steering wheel controls would be nice, but it didn't come with them - some UK versions do have them though.

I do a lot of driving (around 25k miles annually) and mostly on N/M roads, so for me comfort, space and power were important - all of which this car delivers.

Last edited by Kaiser2000; 23-11-2008 at 18:21.
23-11-2008, 18:53   #15
maidhc

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kaiser2000 View Post
The only issue I'd have is that it will tend to roll back a little on a hill start even with the accelerator depressed (which my 02 Auto Passat didn't do!) and this can be a problem if you have some idiot right up your ass , but mine comes with "Auto Hold" which if not solves, then at least works around, this problem. The problem with Auto Hold though is the car will jerk a bit at low crawling speeds so you can find yourself turning it on and off a lot if you're crawling up a hill in traffic. The button is also rather awkwardly positioned to the left of the gear selector but I think it was moved to the other side in newer models. Both of these issues though aren't major.
This is exactly the problem with the electric handbrake. They ditched a perfectly good simple system in favour of something more complicated and less effectual.

I don't think it is a deal breaker though.
Thread Closed