17-11-2008, 23:30   #1
No6

BER referal fees.

I was apporached today by a local Auctoineer who asked about doing BERs for existing houses. He then informed me that he would refer all his clients to me for a % fee of my fee. Another assessor had already offered him 15%. I am furious with this type of behaviour which is nothing more than a racket or scam but is it a) in breech of the assesssors code of coduct or b) in breach of the Auctoneers Code of Conduct. I think its very unethical but what do i do about it? suggestions please.
Advertisement
17-11-2008, 23:54   #2

It was obvious that something like this was going to happen. However, you can do as you please. Nobodies forcing you to give him a %. Do you believe him when he says hes been offered 15%? Might just be fluff on his part. 15% for turning over a phone number sounds like a lot?
I don't think its an unethical approach on his part - afterall, they're his contacts. Maybe you should be grateful that he's not going and doing them himself. Will be interesting to see how many of them decide to do them themselves. Lets face it, they have little else to be doing at the moment

Last edited by Eurorunner; 17-11-2008 at 23:57.
18-11-2008, 06:37   #3
DOCARCH

No. 6 - I wouldn't be suprised if he was having you on/trying his luck!

That sort of thing drives me mad!!! I bet you he's not doing very much as he's the sort of guy you wouldn't want to buy a house from!
18-11-2008, 09:27   #4
smashey
Administrator

Admin: GAA Mods, GAA, ZTest
What a fcukin tosser. Unfortunatley, that's what tends to happen in this greedy wee country of ours.

No6, you couldn't get a little tape recorder in your pocket the next time you talk to him?

Last edited by smashey; 18-11-2008 at 10:04.
18-11-2008, 09:34   #5
No6

Eurorunner he's not allowed do BER's for his own clients as an auctoneer. I know he's trying his luck but I don't think he's representing his clients very well in this manner. I bet his clients would be delighted with him if they saw on my invoice a big hefty precentage referal fee for him on top of my fee!! My thoughts exactly smashey!!!
Advertisement
18-11-2008, 09:53   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by No6 View Post
Eurorunner he's not allowed do BER's for his own clients as an auctoneer.
Really? Well, thats good news.
18-11-2008, 09:54   #7
muffler

There's always someone looking to get a cut of your hard earned money (even the taxman) but approaches like this are reprehensible.

Personally I'd tell him to go fuck himself and then go round and stick a business card on every "for sale" sign he has up (or through the letterbox if the house is still occupied) with a note stating that you you will charge 10% less than what the auctioneer can arrange it for.
18-11-2008, 10:03   #8
No6

Quote:
Originally Posted by muffler View Post
There's always someone looking to get a cut of your hard earned money (even the taxman) but approaches like this are reprehensible.

Personally I'd tell him to go fuck himself and then go round and stick a business card on every "for sale" sign he has up (or through the letterbox if the house is still occupied) with a note stating that you you will charge 10% less than what the auctioneer can arrange it for.
Well the way I see it is I can a) set my fee at about the same level as everyone else and add his percentage on, or b) opperate at a loss and keep the fees at the same level inculding his "cut". a) dosn't do anything for his clients and b) dosn't do anything for me.

Personally I think the go Fu*k option is the best one, I can of course then advertise very loudly that I don't pay any auctoneer referal fees I may starve but at least my reputation will be intact!!
18-11-2008, 11:10   #9

Lads,

The domestic BER is going to be a complete jungle.

1. I have experienced auctioneers who are going to 'rate' each others properties.

2. I've sat in front of auctioneers who want 15% per referrel.

3. I've come across a munster based outfit who are reportadly tearing the ar$e off the pricing in this sector.
Advertisement
18-11-2008, 11:15   #10
No6

So what do we do? let the system become corrupt & discredited before it even starts?
18-11-2008, 11:23   #11
smashey
Administrator

I have an idea.

Eamon Ryan (yes, the TD) is a member here. I'll send him a link to this thread and see what he says.
Thanks from:
18-11-2008, 11:26   #12
sydthebeat
Subscriber

Quote:
Originally Posted by DOCARCH View Post
No. 6 - I wouldn't be suprised if he was having you on/trying his luck!

That sort of thing drives me mad!!! I bet you he's not doing very much as he's the sort of guy you wouldn't want to buy a house from!
hes not trying his luck...

a local auctioneer that i know very well has already been approached by TWO assessors who have told him that THEY WILL GIVE HIM €100 for every BER he puts their way... these were two separate independant assessors...!!!!

this kind of action disgusts me.
18-11-2008, 11:30   #13
smashey
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by smashey View Post
I have an idea.

Eamon Ryan (yes, the TD) is a member here. I'll send him a link to this thread and see what he says.
Pm sent.
18-11-2008, 11:31   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by sydthebeat View Post
hes not trying his luck...

a local auctioneer that i know very well has already been approached by TWO assessors who have told him that THEY WILL GIVE HIM €100 for every BER he puts their way... these were two separate independant assessors...!!!!

this kind of action disgusts me.
They must be charging a fair whack to be able to give €100 away in a referell!

Having spoken to auctioneers in around galway in relation to BER you get a real insight into the 'scratch my back' culture that existed in that industry. One can only imagine the scrathing that was going on in the golden years.
18-11-2008, 12:10   #15
sydthebeat
Subscriber

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chimpster View Post
They must be charging a fair whack to be able to give €100 away in a referell!

Having spoken to auctioneers in around galway in relation to BER you get a real insight into the 'scratch my back' culture that existed in that industry. One can only imagine the scrathing that was going on in the golden years.
all the auctioneer has to do is tell the clients "it will cost in the region of .... (€500 has already been widely accepted as the fee due to SEI on the Last Word)....

a healthy living would be made doing two assessments a day at €400 a pop!!

Quick Reply
Bold
Italic
Underline

Insert Image
Wrap [QUOTE] tags around selected text

Decrease Size
Increase Size
Please sign up or log in to join the discussion