Boards.ie uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Click here to find out more x
Thread Closed  

16-11-2008, 06:53   #1
ThinOnTop

Thinning Hair - Propecia / Proscar

Hi, regular poster here going unregged for obvious reasons.

I'm almost 26, male, and in the past 9 - 12 months my hair has thinned dramatically. Its really starting to knock my confidence. I've always had a decent head of hair,always relatively light in comparison to thicker heads, but decent nonetheless, but the thoughts of having it all off in the next 1 - 2 years has me seriously worried. A few people have mentioned it here and there, so it isn't just me imagining things. My dad is bald, one of his two brothers is. Their father was not bald, but it looks as if I pulled a short straw. I haven't cut it in over 3 months which is the longest i've gone in years, and it is purely out of fear of how much scalp exposure there will be when I get it trimmed.

Basically, as the title suggests, I'm looking for opinions / experiences on Proscar/Propecia. Anything.

Oh, and i've searched for similar threads in the past and have noticed that they have been closed with the mod finishing with 'Go to your GP'. I spoke with him briefly last week about it (had appointment for something else but brought this up at the end). He basically said it was a choice that only I could make. Was I willing to have to take a pill a day for the rest of my life, on top of costs etc? Well to be honest, I think i'd get over that. The thoughts of me going around with nothing up there genuinely has me worried to bits.

Any constructive thoughts and opinions greatly appreciated!

Advertisement
16-11-2008, 10:38   #2
von Neumann

I'm in a similar situation, the long march north has begon and I'm going grey to boot .

I supposed you should really be working on your confidence rather than your hair. I'm sure you have a load of great qualities that don't revolve around your hair.
Think about op if your in a pub or work do you see somebody who is bald and think I can't talk to them the're bald.
16-11-2008, 12:19   #3
Brimmy

Hey OP don't worry about it, I'm only 20 and in the last 2 years my hair has thinned dramatically.. It's genes. If you really fear being naked on top there is a hair clinic on Georges street in Dublin right opposite the George and there's always the option of a wig/hair plugs
16-11-2008, 14:03   #4
Jeep100

Dont worry about, shave it all off , when it starts getting worse, and stop the moaning, theres loads of people worse off than u at the moment....Good luck with it, a good fitness regimen and shaved head and ure laughing

Last edited by Jeep100; 16-11-2008 at 14:18.
16-11-2008, 14:12   #5
_blank_
Closed Account

Read this

http://boards.ie/vbulletin/showpost....03&postcount=6

I'm 28, and have had thin hair since I was about sixteen.

doesn't bother me a bit. You need to embrace it, it's a part of you.

Don't go wasting your money on silly creams and snake oils that don't even work.

Last edited by _blank_; 16-11-2008 at 14:15.
(2) thanks from:
Advertisement
16-11-2008, 14:40   #6
J.S. Pill

Answer: yes it works.

It improved my situation considerably. It works to different degrees for different people. Given the relatively low cost involved it is well worth at least trying.
16-11-2008, 14:48   #7
starn

Try Iron supplements. I was thinning on top for a bit. It turned out I wasnt getting enough Iron
17-11-2008, 03:02   #8
sunzz

Plenty of women and i know this for a fact like men with shaved/bald heads
Look at billy zane/jason stratham, look at callum best, they don't do to bad with women, if you don't show it bothers you people won't notice it.

gl
17-11-2008, 13:27   #9
cantdecide

I've just turned 27 and I've been losing it slowly since 19 (when I had the thickest head of curls you ever saw) and let me tell you, it affects people badly in the beginning, myself included. It really knocks your self esteem. I just let the inevitable happen and trust me, after a while it just becomes a part of you. I couldn't care less now and haven't cared about it in years. I've been on the blade 1s for years and it's a perfectly acceptable haircut in this day and age.

If you want to feel you don't want to go without a fight, that's fine too as long as you aren't prolonging the misery. Avoid the snake oils, obviously and maybe they'll work for you.
Advertisement
17-11-2008, 17:09   #10
Freethinker

what people never seem to tell you when you consider using the products you mentioned is that most of the effective ones were developed for treating prosate conditions and as such, they will affect your prostate.

They can, and dont be fooled, they very often do, lower your sex drive quite considerably even in some cases almost eliminating it.

I have not just heard, but know guys who have been rendered impotent and have had to explain why to their girfriends. Some guys will not even produce any semen when they orgasm because these drugs are so powerful. These symptoms can dissappear over time when you stop taking the pills.

The drugs mess with your hormones and stop testosterone from being broken down into variousforms in the body. this will alter your hormonal balance and the effects can be quite noticable to you. You may even develope breat tissue.

Trust me, these drugs are very powerful chemicals and it is not a trivial thing to commit to taking them for life.

My advice is simple, dont take the drugs.
17-11-2008, 20:27   #11
J.S. Pill

Quote:
Originally Posted by Des View Post
Don't go wasting your money on silly creams and snake oils that don't even work.
And what are you basing this on Des? Proscar is relatively inexpensive and, while not a miricle cure, it works for a lot of people.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Freethinker View Post
what people never seem to tell you when you consider using the products you mentioned is that most of the effective ones were developed for treating prosate conditions and as such, they will affect your prostate.

They can, and dont be fooled, they very often do, lower your sex drive quite considerably even in some cases almost eliminating it.

I have not just heard, but know guys who have been rendered impotent and have had to explain why to their girfriends. Some guys will not even produce any semen when they orgasm because these drugs are so powerful. These symptoms can dissappear over time when you stop taking the pills.

The drugs mess with your hormones and stop testosterone from being broken down into variousforms in the body. this will alter your hormonal balance and the effects can be quite noticable to you. You may even develope breat tissue.

Trust me, these drugs are very powerful chemicals and it is not a trivial thing to commit to taking them for life.

My advice is simple, dont take the drugs.
I think you just looked up proscar on wikipedia and decided to tell everyone about the horrible side effects that these drugs can have for people who vainly trying to stem their hairloss. You forget to mention that for hairloss treatment, these drugs are taken in a fraction of the dosage that are used to treat prostate conditions. We're steering dangerously close to giving medical advice here so I'll just leave it at that.

The OP asked if anyone had had any experience using these treatmets and if they actually work. Most of the responses have completely skipped over his question by recommending he takes a mach 3 to his head and thereby criticised his vanity for even thinking about trying to do something about it.
17-11-2008, 21:52   #12
Unregistered

Have a look at these products available from most good hairdressers, used in conjunction with each other they are clinically proven to halt further hair loss (wont make it grow back tho )

1. Densitive - dietary supplement
2. Kerastase Bain Prevention - Shampoo
3. Aminexil GL - treatment you use twice a year for about 30 days at a time.

All are made by Kerastase and designed to be used together, Pricey but it does work

Good luck

17-11-2008, 22:36   #13
Vyse

Quote:
Originally Posted by J.S. Pill View Post
And what are you basing this on Des? Proscar is relatively inexpensive and, while not a miricle cure, it works for a lot of people.

I think you just looked up proscar on wikipedia and decided to tell everyone about the horrible side effects that these drugs can have for people who vainly trying to stem their hairloss. You forget to mention that for hairloss treatment, these drugs are taken in a fraction of the dosage that are used to treat prostate conditions. We're steering dangerously close to giving medical advice here so I'll just leave it at that.

The OP asked if anyone had had any experience using these treatmets and if they actually work. Most of the responses have completely skipped over his question by recommending he takes a mach 3 to his head and thereby criticised his vanity for even thinking about trying to do something about it.
As far as I am aware Propecia/ Proscar is not available in Ireland for use as a hair loss treatment as it has not been deemed safe by the IMB. Could be wrong on this but if that has changed it has only been very recently.

For my own personal experience I found it did very little and I can tell you that it did have negative effects amongst which was an irregular, frequent, tight feeling down below. Not pleasant by any means.

I'm not trying to knock you trying it but you'lll probably need to buy online.

Why don't you try Rogaine (or possibly both for best results)? You can pick that up for relatively cheap on eBay (from the States) and it can produce good results too.
17-11-2008, 23:47   #14
speaktofrank

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vyse View Post
As far as I am aware Propecia/ Proscar is not available in Ireland for use as a hair loss treatment as it has not been deemed safe by the IMB. Could be wrong on this but if that has changed it has only been very recently.

For my own personal experience I found it did very little and I can tell you that it did have negative effects amongst which was an irregular, frequent, tight feeling down below. Not pleasant by any means.

I'm not trying to knock you trying it but you'lll probably need to buy online.

Why don't you try Rogaine (or possibly both for best results)? You can pick that up for relatively cheap on eBay (from the States) and it can produce good results too.

Finasteride (the drug in both Proscar and Propecia) is FDA approved for the treatment of hair loss and has been scientificially proven to halt the loss. I started taking Proscar (1/4 a pill a day) 2 years ago, and I notice that my hair stopped thinning and grew back a lot thicker than before, still you will need to keep taking it or it will lose its effect, I will probably stop when I am older, but at this age I need all the help I can get with the wimmin ;-)

Go to your doctor ask for Proscar not Propecia, Propecia is the same drug just in 1mg while Proscar is 5mg divided into 1/4's it works out a hell of a lot cheaper.

For all those of you who say, get a blade 1, well thats crap, some people don't look good with a shaved head
Thanks from:
18-11-2008, 00:08   #15
J.S. Pill

Quote:
As far as I am aware Propecia/ Proscar is not available in Ireland for use as a hair loss treatment as it has not been deemed safe by the IMB.
I guess I'll have to get my next batch from an online Mexican pharmacy so.

Quote:
Or you can pick it up from your friendly local pharmacist

Do your homework mate.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sunzz
Plenty of women and i know this for a fact like men with shaved/bald heads Look at billy zane/jason stratham, look at callum best, they don't do to bad with women, if you don't show it bothers you people won't notice it.
Ok but...

Quote:
Originally Posted by speaktofrank
For all those of you who say, get a blade 1, well thats crap, some people don't look good with a shaved head
+1

Last edited by J.S. Pill; 18-11-2008 at 00:11.
Thread Closed